Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Road Glide Part for buffeting

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 09:54 AM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hogrider09
I have a 09 FLHT. I haven't done the recall yet. Why should I? If a frontal or side or whatever, the bike is screwed anyway, and myself included. Im looking and deciding on a new bike. Not sure on 2010 or 2011. Looking at Ultras tourers or Road glide ultra

I didn't do the recall either. What is the point of stating they fit the '09 model year if the recall negates that?

Makes me wonder what the mount is like on the '10 to allow them to fit. Why not retrofit that mount to the '09?

Old 07-29-2010, 10:05 AM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Garemlin
These are prolly meant as a replacement for the deflector that used to come mounted at the bottom of the neck.
I couldn't find the old style on the website so perhaps you are right.

makes me wonder what the effect would be running both at the same time.

I might find out!

Old 07-29-2010, 11:09 AM
chevele72
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Couldn't you open up the part (clip?) that goes around the recall part (spacer), then silicone or epoxy it to it?

Old 07-29-2010, 02:29 PM
krom nutz
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could you make your own version out of plastic , drill some holes in it and zip tie it on ? I would like to try it on my old fugly

Old 07-30-2010, 07:25 AM
ncbeast
Road Master

Still do not see how these are going to do anything for you. Rode is this morning on the interstate and all of wind comes from outside of the fairing (I do have the fork baffle) where lowers would be. I think a good set of HoggChopps will fix my problem just have to keep saving for them.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:14 PM
graybagger56
1st Gear
Default Wind Deflector for Earlier Road Glides

That part, 57000063, which the catalog states is for '09 and later, lists additional years on the box when you buy the part itself ('98 and later).

I just installed it on my 06 Road Glide and it works great. HOWEVER, a small mod is required as follows:
Interesting enough, the welded tank bracket on the right side is wider than the left. The right side deflector snaps on in about two seconds but the left's clip to the tank bracket is too "thick". I used a Dremel tool to thin it down and it snapped right in after removing about 1/16" is thickness. I also noted that due to cable runs on the right side, it was worthwhile Dremel-ing a notch from the tank clip upward. I removed about 1/8" of plastic to allow the cables to rest comfortably in their normal spot.

This is $30 well spent; it works. Just a small amount of modification.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:18 PM
SC07WG
Advanced

I put them on my non Retro fitted 09. Seems to help a little but honestly did not have much buffeting. I have the kuryakyn touring shield

Old 09-18-2010, 08:36 PM
graybagger56
1st Gear

I wasn't getting the buffeting either like many do. I have a Clearview windshield and it works great. What I was getting however, was an updraft. Been riding a regular windshield--like a Road King--for many years. I was suprosed when I got the Road Glide how much updraft I was feeling. I wear a small helmet and the air updraft felt like it was trying to take the helmet off. I've been annoyed with it for a long time having to tighten my helmet a bit.

Then I found a post about how the air coming under the fairing and coming along the gas tank was causing this updraft. I ran a test with some felt material that I velcro'd into that area and it made a surprising difference! Looked like crap but I had my culprit. Now, I thought, if only someone would design a deflector that would intercept and redirect this flow. Before I could make my millions with a design, Harley came out with this neat little attachment. I put on 150 miles today and the uplifting air currents have disappeared. Excellent.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:07 PM
meveratt
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They WILL fit your 08. I have them on mine. And they do work well. Just remember to take off the existing Fork Baffle (under the triple tree) first, as the baffle directs the air flow down, while the new black plastic pieces direct the air flow up IN FRONT on the tank and reduce the vacuum created by the fairing/windshield. I've always believed it was the air flow coming over the sheild meeting the vacuum on the other side that caused the buffeting -- and these plastic pieces fix that. The reduction in buffeting at highway speed is very noticeable on my bike -- and I have a Clearview large screen.

They will fit any RG 1998 on, may require some slight mods easily done, although I didn't have to do any.

Last edited by meveratt; 09-18-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:11 PM
Brettcr
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picked up a set today. I had a good bit of buffeting. I was a little on the weary side but decided to give it a shot. They help a lot. Very happy with them at this point. I still plan on getting vented lowers, but i honestly love the look of them. Fattens it up but it's just me. These work great for me though. Money well spent for me.

Quick Reply: New Road Glide Part for buffeting