Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best engine build kit/configuration?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010 | 08:58 AM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member

A friend of mine has a 2001 Electra Glide classic . It has a Zipper's performance 107" in it , and it will pull the front tire from first to second ! It has more mid range than any bike I have ever ridden too . Has 20k miles on it , and it runs a smoothe and trouble free as the day it was installed . It's the entire engine , cases and all . I love it . If I had the money , that's probably the way I'd go . If not that , then the S&S 106 . Both are great motors , from outstanding companies .
http://www.zippersperformance.com/ca...=862&prod=1556

Old 08-03-2010 | 09:27 AM
ASQTec
Intermediate

A stock TC88, of course.

Old 08-03-2010 | 10:44 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

The question is meangless without a budget. That's why no one has really stepped up too take a whack at it.

Originally Posted by piasspj
"ride the **** out of it from stop sign to stop sign all week" and "don't like to break down" IMO your gonna have to chose one or the other.
Exactly. Anyone who has built performance motors will tell you that, for any given size, the higher the horsepower, the more reliability will suffer. Reliability, in this context, is predicting what will break. Displacement is key. A larger motor will be less stressed than a smaller motor making the same horsepower. The lifespan of any motor is directly tied to how often we stress the weakest componants. The higher the horsepower, the higher the stresses on the componants, and the more often we use the horsepower potential, the more likely we're going to break something. Your riding style will play a major factor in your motors reliability.

A good place to start would be a Jims 120 or 131. These motors are designed from the start for higher displacements. Timken crank bearings, reinforced cases and stouter cylinder studs are built into the Jims motors. You can make 120 hp fairly easily with a Jims motor, and it will be less stressed than 120 hp out of a HD 110.

Of course, without some idea of a budget, this is all just pointless noodling.

Last edited by Mike; 08-03-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-03-2010 | 11:00 AM
Dick1964
|
Cruiser

The post was somewhat of a joke fellas. I obviously wanted it "all". Something impossible to get. Basically I wanted to know what kind of engine, you wanted if you could have anything. There was no budget cuz there is no engine. I should have made that more obvious. A couple people got it.
Best regards

Old 08-03-2010 | 11:08 AM
jcallesano
Road Warrior

some ppl cant sense sarcasm through text.

Old 08-03-2010 | 11:15 AM
Northside
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
The question is meangless without a budget. That's why no one has really stepped up too take a whack at it.

Exactly. Anyone who has built performance motors will tell you that, for any given size, the higher the horsepower, the more reliability will suffer. Reliability, in this context, is predicting what will break. Displacement is key. A larger motor will be less stressed than a smaller motor making the same horsepower. The lifespan of any motor is directly tied to how often we stress the weakest componants. The higher the horsepower, the higher the stresses on the componants, and the more often we use the horsepower potential, the more likely we're going to break something. Your riding style will play a major factor in your motors reliability.

A good place to start would be a Jims 120 or 131. These motors are designed from the start for higher displacements.mm Timken crank bearings, reinforced cases and stouter cylinder studs are built into the Jims motors. You can make 120 hp fairly easily with a Jims motor, and it will be less stressed than 120 hp out of a HD 110.

Of course, without some idea of a budget, this is all just pointless noodling.
Sorry but I'll have to disagree on the Jims motor. I know two guys who bought them. Both motors had unacceptably loose rods brand new. One guy made a fixture and pressed the the crankpin out, honed new races and set it up right. Most people wouldn't have a clue that anything was wrong with that lower end and JIIMS knows it. A well respected Harley tech and engine builder called "that" brand new JIMS low end "junk." I agree that Timken bearings are a must for a 120 h.p. motor. STD can bore late model cases for that.

What I would recommend for making a big difference in power and a bike that is more fun to ride but not a world beater......Go to a reputable builder, get a matched big bore kit from one of many companies you'll read about here. Hillside, Headquarters, Dave Mackie Engineering and many more. They can rework your heads, bore your cylinders and supply pistons and cams that will all work together to increase your horsepower and torque to well over 100. If you go with their recommendations on an intake and exhaust, and find a good tuner you'll have a fun ride for less than half the price of a JIMS motor, and it will be as dependable as a stocker. I've got 47,000 miles on a Mackie 95", on one of my bikes, and it is not only dependable it runs cooler than stock and gets good gas mileage. My friend with the JIMS motor has said he wishes he'd just kept his built 95 inch motor in his bagger. He didn't gain that much with the 120 and it cost a bundle.

Old 08-03-2010 | 11:33 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member

Harley - STOCK - longest lasting,less trouble

Old 08-03-2010 | 10:29 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dick1964
The post was somewhat of a joke fellas. I obviously wanted it "all". Something impossible to get. Basically I wanted to know what kind of engine, you wanted if you could have anything. There was no budget cuz there is no engine. I should have made that more obvious. A couple people got it.
Best regards
Oh, I think everybody "got it".