Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I blow the shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 10:33 PM
ronbeejer
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Did I blow the shocks?

After reading some of the threads about air pressure for the rear shocks, I checked the pressure and found it to be at 6lbs. Since we do a lot of 2up, I decided to add a little air with a hand pump. Pumping was a little hard, then I heard a little click... and then zero pressure when I checked.

The pump will still "pump", but the shocks will not take any air...

2010 Ultra Classic...

Old 07-26-2010, 10:41 PM
flyer91
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd check all the connections at the shocks and under the seat, to be sure you didn't just pop one off.
Hopefully that's all it is ....

Old 07-26-2010, 10:53 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hope you didn't use a bicycle pump. The hand pump meant for the shocks put out very low pressure. I would check all your connections see if they go poof.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:14 PM
ronbeejer
Tourer

heading to the garage to check all the fittings...

Old 07-26-2010, 11:35 PM
ronbeejer
Tourer

All the connections seem to be "connected"... and BBStacker, I didn't use a bicycle pump but I did use a small pump that is used primarily to pump up small toys and *****.

The pump seems to be pumping air, but I don't know where it's going. I don't hear or anything leaking from any of the connections. Would the seals inside the shock(s) blow that easily?

Old 07-26-2010, 11:44 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbeejer
All the connections seem to be "connected"... and BBStacker, I didn't use a bicycle pump but I did use a small pump that is used primarily to pump up small toys and *****.

The pump seems to be pumping air, but I don't know where it's going. I don't hear or anything leaking from any of the connections. Would the seals inside the shock(s) blow that easily?
So you used an air compressor, not the hand pump like you were suppose too?

Old 07-26-2010, 11:51 PM
ronbeejer
Tourer

Noooo... did not use an air compressor! Used a small hand pump used for blowing up toys.

I disconnected the air lines from the fittings at the shocks and can hear and feel air coming thru them both when pumping the hand pump. I hook them back up and pump, but nothing stays in the shock(s).

Old 07-26-2010, 11:56 PM
rockhard69
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a possibility that the pump you are using allows the air to bleed out when you unhook it, it does not take much to lose what you pumped in.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:01 AM
ronbeejer
Tourer

rockhard... that's not it. I pump several strokes (so to speak) and remove the pump from the fitting... there is no sound of air leakage and when I measure (with 2 different air gauges) the pressure is zero. I can touch the pin in the valve and push it with my finger nail... no air.

As I mentioned... it took air at first. The first reading I took was 6lbs. I wanted to increase the air and actually got it up to 15lbs. I reapplied the hand pump and after maybe two pumps, there was a distinctive "click". I can't be positive where it came from but it sounded like the fill valve. The hand pump got very hard to pump, and after removing it and checking pressure.. zero.

Last edited by ronbeejer; 07-27-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:43 AM
Razerman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

From the high volume-low pressure pump your using I'm thinking it may not be able to handle the low volume high pressure requirements of your shocks..( I think 35# max pressure) It would be comparable to putting air in an empty car tire with a air mattress pump and wonder why you read zero psi in your tires...Click may have been your pump saying......holy $hit.enough is enough already.. toy pump doesn't have what it takes..you checked your connections (and you said they checked fine) so my vote would be the pump. hope this helps...

Quick Reply: Did I blow the shocks?