Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Classic hard bags vs soft???

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010 | 07:35 AM
TOK DADDY
|
Cruiser

I'm thinking I'm going to get a set of the Hard Bags and keep the leathers as well. Variety is the spice of life right? I can get pair of hard bags on e-bay but still have to pay for them to be color matched to my bike - or just bite the bullet and order the correct bags for my bike through Harley....decisions...decisions...

Old 07-29-2010 | 12:39 PM
HDBRATT
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by hougz79
Personally I like the GTX bags. The Classic's leather bags fit the theme of the bike, and look great, but the hard bags win because of practicality.
I love the look of the leather but agree with the practicality of the hard bags.
Has anyone had their hard bags leak? I haven't had the RK in rain yet....but I am sure we will be there soon!

Old 07-29-2010 | 01:00 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member

I've ridden in some real bad downpours and my leather bags kept everything dry. I like the look of both hard and leather. I just can't justify the cost of switching.

Old 07-29-2010 | 01:08 PM
hdelectra
Road Captain

I'm leaning heavily towards either a RK or RKC for my next bike, next spring. The RKC is appealing with the 103, CC, ABS, Security and leather covered bags, but I had an '05 EGC and know how well the hard bags work. Plus I really like the Sedona Orange RK color. Decisions, decisions...

Old 07-29-2010 | 03:21 PM
TMair
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SamStone
I've ridden in some real bad downpours and my leather bags kept everything dry. I like the look of both hard and leather. I just can't justify the cost of switching.
+1, I have ridden in some rain storms that got every thing wet, but nothing in my leather convered bags got wet, now with the lock kit I am happy with my saddle bags, except I have the old style bags and the leather is shrinking so the rear inside corners turn up, one so badly that it broke the plastic, I wish I knew how to fix that with out buying new bags.
Terry

Old 07-29-2010 | 03:33 PM
DrQ
Road Master

I Love my Leather bags! Just got a set of matching leather lower fairings from leatherpros. A little saddle soap and mink oil-beautiful!

Old 07-29-2010 | 03:48 PM
HDBRATT
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks guys ...think I will hold onto my leather bags.

Old 07-29-2010 | 03:53 PM
Johnny Dangerously
Advanced

Personally I like the looks of the leather bags much better (part of the reason I went for a Classic). I've been in some pretty intense rain and they haven't leaked a drop.

They also make aftermarket locks that are supposed to do OK. They're a bit pricey, but as I understand it, they basically replace (and look exactly like) the badge on your leather bag. But... prolly less expensive than getting new hard bags.

RE: The Gun - I would never leave a gun in a locked bike, car or anything else for that matter. If I'm going to the range and happen to be in my car I lock it in the trunk and will go in to a convenience store or something, but I would never leave it in my car for more than a few minutes - much less a bike! CCP is much better, then you can carry with you at all times. Sorry, just the military in me wants to keep the gun with me at all times.

P.S. Here's a cheaper option, but they look a bit hokey to me. If someone wanted to get around these, a semi sharp knife could cut the leather straps and they're in. Guess it just depends on how much security you need/want. My grandfather used to say "locks just keep honest people out", but I suppose they also slow not so honest people down a bit...

Last edited by Johnny Dangerously; 07-29-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-29-2010 | 11:09 PM
TOK DADDY
|
Cruiser

Thanks for the post Johnny - good stuff. I live in AZ where our laws actually allow us to carry concealed weapons at all times. Not that I do it that often - but at least I have the option.

Old 07-30-2010 | 01:39 AM
mabitola
Advanced
Default road-king-classic-hard-bags-vs-soft

I have a 2008 RoadKing Classic and I really didn't care much for the soft bags. But I did like the white wall tires and the other characteristics of the bike. But looking back now, I should have bought the Standard and just put on white wall tires .

O-well, I love the bike now, I just need a fairing for some long distance riding!

Road King Classic hard bags vs soft???-user139921_pic85673_1276698997_thumb.jpg

Quick Reply: Road King Classic hard bags vs soft???