Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michigan/Canada border

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 03:43 PM
KingEvan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Michigan/Canada border

Hows the security at the border these days?

Im visiting some family in the detroit area next week and am thinking i might ride into canada just to say i have. maybe stop by Thunder Road HD and pick up a tee shirt.

My question is do i need to bring my passport and expect huge delays crossing? Anything else? Is it a huge pain these days? if it is im not going to even bother. i used to live Michigan and i remember we used to just need an id and a bull shiz excuse to go drink legally.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:47 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 652 Posts

not from the area but:
Relatively NEW laws for re-entry back into the USA require a passport or passport card.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:46 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by KingEvan

Im visiting some family in the detroit area next week and am thinking i might ride into canada just to say i have. maybe stop by Thunder Road HD and pick up a tee shirt.

My question is do i need to bring my passport and expect huge delays crossing? Anything else? Is it a huge pain these days? if it is im not going to even bother. i used to live Michigan and i remember we used to just need an id and a bull shiz excuse to go drink legally.
I crossed into Canada out of Flint, I think, and it was slow going. Quite crowded and was asked alot of questions.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:49 PM
Kilo6
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Take a passport and you should be fine. Traffic across the Blue Water Bridge on weekends is not bad, it's the weekday commuter traffic that's a killer. You can also cross before the BW Bridge by taking the ferry at Marine City to the Canadian side. From there you can ride north and avoid the traffic.

If you want a good ride in that area, go to New Baltimore and ride north along the coast (Hwy 29) up to Port Huron. Eat lunch in Port Huron and then keep going north along Hwy 25 as far as you want. Plenty of places to stop and view Lake Huron. I used to live there and it's a great ride.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:02 PM
KingEvan
Cruiser

The Marine City ferry looks like a good option. Im just a little hesitant with this all because i don't really have a good reason to go into Canada and i can just see the look on a border patrol officers face when i tell him i just want to color the little piece in on my map!

Old 07-26-2010, 05:48 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by KingEvan

Sorry; I don't have an answer to your questions but you brought back some memories for me. I grew up in the Detroit area and you could scoot over with a drivers license any time; you didnt even need an excuse. At 19 you could drink beer there so we'd go to Mothers Pizza and drink till we fell over... then drive home. I can't believe I'm alive.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:00 PM
KutenFLHX
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Bring your passport. I am certain that is required now to get back into the US.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:01 PM
drfeelgood
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh how the times have changed. I crossed the border two years ago and was grilled with 20 questions and HAD to have a passport.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:18 PM
Handlebarmike
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

If'n ya don't have a passport to get back.....
don't the canucks jus' deport ya.........

Old 07-26-2010, 07:18 PM
Harley_RN
Road Captain

It's worse now. You need a passport. Don't dare admit that you own any firearms if they ask you. They'll ask if you have any with you.. then they'll ask do you have them at home ? Make sure you answer NO !

Quick Reply: Michigan/Canada border