Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS saved my butt today

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 12:51 AM
akroguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default ABS saved my butt today

Well, we're finally getting some rain around here, and it hit me full force on my ride in to work this evening. It got pretty heavy real quick, and visibility went down to an uncomfortable level. So, I thought I'd get off the freeway post haste via a descending offramp. This offramp is concrete....also known as SLICKER THAN SNAIL SNOT ON ICE when wet! I saw the curve onto the side street coming up fast and realized I was still too fast and got onto both brakes in earnest. Then, the tires started breaking loose and the bike got wiggly. Then just as quick as it started, the ABS let go of just enough brake pressure to get traction reestablished and I was under full control again.

ABS rocks!

Maybe we'll get more consistent rain now for a while, so what rain we do get won't turn instantly into an oil slick. Note to self: SLOW DOWN, increase distance between myself and vehicle ahead, and proceed with great care especially on freshly rained upon road surfaces. Stopping distance goes to hell in a hurry when you only have two, tiny contact patches between you and the road. Oh, tires are stock 402 on the front and Elite III on the back.

Ride safely out there.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:03 AM
chromedog
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

works real good safe my butt a few times

Old 07-26-2010, 06:43 AM
bsea
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Been there, done that, almost identical situation. Won't own a bike without them again.

Bill

Old 07-26-2010, 07:04 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

As you stated Slow Down or ride a little more defensive so you will never really need ABS.You do not need to hear why I will never own an ABS bike! Stay safe!

Old 07-26-2010, 07:09 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

ABS is not a Miracle Cure and I ride without them everytime crank the Sporty up but Do think they are a great addition to my Ultra ..

Old 07-26-2010, 08:00 AM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

AKRO,, you'll never convince some of the guys that ABS is good. Some think they're skill is better than that.
They say slow down, ect.... well I have my first ABS bike now, I also have nearly 400,000 miles of two wheel experience, and it's saved my *** at least twice now since I got it.... it does ROCK!

Old 07-26-2010, 08:16 AM
TheRainMan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It saved my bacon last Tuesday. I was heading down the freeway when a real frog soaker came down - couldn't see 10 yards in front of me. Was trying to make it to get under the next overpass when a dude in a Streetglide with smoky tailights suddenly appeared in front of me traveling about 10 mph. I hit the brakes and swerved and had those ABSers kick in. Wow.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:22 AM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, you need to be careful when riding in rain and watch your speed as you're headed into turns. You should also avoid riding when visibility is poor. Glad you're safe.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:23 AM
Iron Aces
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dog155
As you stated Slow Down or ride a little more defensive so you will never really need ABS.You do not need to hear why I will never own an ABS bike! Stay safe!
I certainly agree that if you slow down and drive a little more defensive is a great starting point at riding safe but unfortunately accidents are always because riders are riding carelessly. I was going 35 in a 35 mph zone when a car pulled out in front of me. Had I not have had the ABS on my Street Glide I am certain I would have dumped it.

High speeds, low speeds...I think it's worth the extra money and actually feel as though they should come standard on all touring bikes.

Lindsey :0)

Old 07-26-2010, 08:29 AM
TheRainMan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron Aces
I certainly agree that if you slow down and drive a little more defensive is a great starting point at riding safe but unfortunately accidents are always because riders are riding carelessly. I was going 35 in a 35 mph zone when a car pulled out in front of me. Had I not have had the ABS on my Street Glide I am certain I would have dumped it.

High speeds, low speeds...I think it's worth the extra money and actually feel as though they should come standard on all touring bikes.

Lindsey :0)
yup...

Quick Reply: ABS saved my butt today