Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting the Itch for More Power!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 07:35 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Getting the Itch for More Power!

I hope this is a passing phase, but after the cam upgrade over the winter, I've been paying more attention to the big bore posts. A 107 or 110 kit might be a good place for me to start. I'm concerned about some of the issues like pinging or losing any comfort on longer trips. It looks like S&S and GMR have some good kits out there! I'm looking for more torque in the bottom and mid-range. I don't know what I'm going to do. Just when I think I'm done for awhile, I read this forum and get that itch!

Old 07-25-2010, 07:40 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I've been a hot rodder my whole life, and if more is good, then lots more is better and too much is just right.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:41 PM
bluegrassboy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going BIG real soon......

Old 07-25-2010, 07:52 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Well you could get the S&S 106 BB kit ($560)and do it yourself, took me a day, next one will be quicker. If you dont raise compression dont worry about pinging. I have your cam thread tagged, you took longer to hit this stage than I thought you would.

But if ya want "all in" read this thread and think about it a while.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...new-motor.html

Old 07-25-2010, 08:01 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,872 Likes on 9,333 Posts

There's nothing better than big displacement and a deep thunder exhaust tone. Be sure to get good head work and a competant dyno tune.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:22 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by masterblaster
Well you could get the S&S 106 BB kit ($560)and do it yourself, took me a day, next one will be quicker. If you dont raise compression dont worry about pinging. I have your cam thread tagged, you took longer to hit this stage than I thought you would.

But if ya want "all in" read this thread and think about it a while.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...new-motor.html
That price looks pretty good! Did you have any work done on the heads? As soon as I put the new cams in, I knew I would eventually crack and start planning for more power! It's going to have to be a winter project though.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:25 PM
TheShrink
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are going to do any type of big bore, do not short change yourself and skip the heads. A nice port, polish and valve job will make the motor very happy.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:52 PM
THABULL
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by atrain68
I hope this is a passing phase, but after the cam upgrade over the winter, I've been paying more attention to the big bore posts. A 107 or 110 kit might be a good place for me to start. I'm concerned about some of the issues like pinging or losing any comfort on longer trips. It looks like S&S and GMR have some good kits out there! I'm looking for more torque in the bottom and mid-range. I don't know what I'm going to do. Just when I think I'm done for awhile, I read this forum and get that itch!
That S&S 106 kit is looking very good to me , right now I'm trying to decide whether to use the SE255 cams I have now with the kit or go with a different cam!

Old 07-26-2010, 08:58 PM
cmcsns
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Had my eye on the TW6-6 for quite some time and had told myself that's all I'm gonna do; 96" is more than enough, just needs a little 'tweaking', right? Long story short, went with Steve @ GMR's 107 kit and I'm enjoying the hell out of my bike now, nice low compression build (10.1), runs strong from just about any rpm or gear. Steve was a good guy to deal with and I've got no complaints; would definetly do business with them again and probably will

Attached Thumbnails Getting the Itch for More Power!-copy-of-scn_0001.jpg  
Old 07-26-2010, 09:12 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck on the "passing phase" part..... I'm sure you don't have to ask how I know....

Compression increases aren't an issue (relatively speaking) if you plan for it. Your 6-6 cams like it around 10:1 or slightly over so a 107" set to 10:1 would be a good way to go. Whoever is doing your tune should be able to dial it in so pinging isn't an issue.

Quick Reply: Getting the Itch for More Power!