Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Being treated right or wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 07:05 PM
NiteOwl
Supporter
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Being treated right or wrong?

This is a long story, I intend to send this to Harley-Canada this week to plead my case. If your interested in reading I would appreciate your opinions and if you feel I am going about this the right way to obtain a just resolution to my dilema. (Names of dealership have been removed.)

===========================================
I am writing this letter in the hopes that you will review my case. I believe that my local dealership failed to provide a paid-for part when the bike was purchased new in 2008. I have documented letter from the dealerships parts manager, admitting my part may have been disposed of and that is was not his responsibility or concern.

Sequence of events:

· July 2009 - Purchased my 3rd Harley-Davidson, a 2008 HD Street Glide from the original owner with 1800 km’s.
· The bike was ordered with a 110 SE package which was performed by HD-DEALERSHIP; see attached document. (note, the job was very well done and professional)
· Spoke to local dealership (HD-DEALERSHIP), about updating HD about the purchase for their records and for Harley Canada’s records.
· Spoke to HD-DEALERSHIP dealership about purchasing the extended warranty; I was advised that there is no problem to wait till near its expiration time (June 2010) (Salesman, did not get his name)
· June 2010 – Purchased extended warranty. Salesman advised that I need to keep the SERT in a safe place. I advised I had no idea what he was talking about.
· Upon finding out, I spoke to the original buyer who assured me all he got when he bought the bike was promotional material on a memory stick, absolutely no SERT key. The original buyer advised me that he was not given any of the original parts from the 110 engine build. I came into HD-DEALERSHIP and spoke to a number of people and finally ended up speaking to the Parts manager (Chris). Chris advised me that the time of this purchase was around the same time the dealership was moving to its new location, he noted that back then they did have a box of left over SERT keys and he would look to see if they were around the shop still. He also noted that some of the keys had been mailed out to the owners if they could ascertain who the owner was, he also advised that he hoped they did not get thrown out as they hauled many truck-loads of items to the dump during the move.
· A week later I contacted Chris and he advised that he did not find the keys but would keep his eye open and ask other in the shop.
· I started reading up on the Harley-Davidson forums to understand what the implications of not having this key are. I naturally discovered that the key is of extreme importance and that the owner of the bike must have the key for work to be performed by a dealership, and especially for me since I do a lot of riding, into the US and Canada.
· I wrote Chris an email (attached) asking if he had any further luck finding the box of keys not given to the original owners, he advised he had not.
· Another week goes by and I now feel that this key issue is more of an oversight and mistake of the dealership. I believe the dealership should make absolutely certain the owner is supplied with the interface key and not hold back on such an item. (I am fairly certain that HD-DEALERSHIP now ensures all customers are give their keys when the purchase and upload of information is performed.)
· I head down to HD-DEALERSHIP, hopefully to discuss this with OWNER himself. I found Chris in the dealership and he asked me to come around the corner so as we were away from other customers, and he advised there is not key and I would have to purchase a new one at full cost. I asked if OWNER was available, he said he had discussed this with OWNER and that OWNER had advised him to take this course of action with me. I mentioned that this just does not look or sound fair, the bike was purchased the key was paid for yet never given to the owner. Chris said your not even the original owner, I advised I can have the original fellow come down and accept the key from him, he will also swear he never received one, and furthermore Chris has admitted he has knowledge of keys being left at the shop. Chris said there was a sign that states, parts left after 15 days are no longer the responsibility of the shop. This is very convenient for the shop, however if a customer does not know there is a part how can this be a valid waiver? Anyway Chris said “to bad for you!” I thanked Chris for his time, mentioned that I feel this was unjust and would be contacting Harley Canada and left the shop, on good terms though I feel absolutely shafted.
· So here I am, I have only 2 options, one is to spend the cash and buy yet another SERT or SEST key so that future work can be performed on this bike. The other option is to appeal to Harley-Canada and hope that they will review this case and agree with me that the onus is on the dealership to provide and ensure the important key is provided to the customer.

What really saddens me here is that the key is likely a pretty inexpensive piece of hardware for the dealership. This dealership has an ongoing poor reputation in our area with local potential buyers, I have even had conversations with the owner about this and the fact that staff has in the past made customers feel unwanted in the store. Late last year I mentioned to the owner that I thought there had been significant changes in the attitude of his employees and he was on the right path. Now into the new season, I am just amazed on how poorly I was treated and how little care is given for after-purchase support. I am 52 years old, I would only ride a Harley-Davidson and it’s beyond my understanding why I would be treated in such a way over a relatively inexpensive item, especially when the odds of my spending thousand of my dollars in his shop is quite likely, I am just as equally amazed that the parts guy would not stand up and say, he was sorry and wants to make it right, cant give you a new key but here I can drop one to you and split the cost, or something, but no, just cold hard attitude which is again “to bad for you!”. I realise that this shop may not care about customers and that even Harley Canada knows that I will still buy my bike somewhere but on a level of honesty and doing the right thing, I really believe that the dealership should stand up and make this right, I am certainly hoping that a letter to Harley-Canada will open the door of communication with the dealership and we can get this resolved and behind us.

Last edited by NiteOwl; 07-26-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:22 PM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunately, I do not think HD Canada is going to do anything. They are not going to get into the middle of the dispute between you and the dealership. I think they are going to tell you it is beyond their control. With that said, I would still pursue the avenue you are with them.

I think you are going to have to let the owner know that you are not going away and will not take this lieing down. Let them know just how far you are willing to take it. Not sure about the Canadian legal system, but if I were you in the states, I would file a claim against them in small claims court. By the time they factor in the time and expense of defending their suit, they will probably just settle.

Then I would inform them that you are willing to stand on the street corner holding up signs letting everyone know "your personal experiance" about doing business with that store.

Eventually, you should be able to wear them down. They generally do not like any bad publicity. Just let them know that its not financial at this point, strictly principle.

Just my thoughts...

Old 07-26-2010, 07:39 AM
Theakerr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the 1st poster. I suspect it will be a case of "buyer beware" and I suspect that is how the courts up here in Canada will look at it. HD will not get in the middle until you have reached a clearly defined impasse with your dealer. My thoughts would be that you try to negotiate a cost with your dealer based on Goodwill and that he will have a mark-up on the cost anyway. You asked for comments on your letter so I hope you are not offended; 1) it is way way to long, 2, it meanders 3, it is verbose and 4 you haven't clearly laid out what your complaint is and what your your desired response is. My suggestion would be that you rewrite your letter clearing stating what you want and send it (recorded) to your dealer. That does two things, it makes everything formal (you have tried the informal route and it has not worked) and gives a future reference to Harley.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:48 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member

In short, bad mouth a dealer is not a very diplomatic way to persuade anyone to help. I would have been asking the dealer what needed to be done to resolve the current issue.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:09 AM
chasswartz
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think you have beef with Harley or the dealer. The original buyer left the unit at the dealer. The dealer has looked for the unit and could not find it. Its one of those unfortunate things that happen.

Last edited by chasswartz; 07-26-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:12 AM
kccustom
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just want to know how much money are we talking about here?

Old 07-26-2010, 08:14 AM
Maclugie
Road Master

You need some kind of "key" to have your bike worked on? What are you talking about?

Old 07-26-2010, 08:15 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

What is a SERT? I tried Googling it and didn't see anything motorcycle related and see it talked about on here a lot but no meaning of what it is. Is this the race tuner?

ETA: Nevermind! Screamin Eagle Race Tuner.

Last edited by Guntoter; 07-26-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:18 AM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a dealer issue at all, you bought a used bike and it didn't have the part. The owner may or may not have been given it, the truth is that you have no way of knowing. The dealer hasn't done anything wrong here and you are trying to make this into a much bigger issue then it is. Let it go and enjoy the day. Why are you writing to HD? why not write to the person you purchased the bike from?

Old 07-26-2010, 08:32 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 479 Likes on 125 Posts

the problem is there is no way of knowing if the original owner was or was not given the key, so you really don't have a case, with that said if I owned the dealership I would offer it to you at a discounted price just to show good will and build relationships

Quick Reply: Being treated right or wrong?