Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inner Cam Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 01:37 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts
Angry Inner Cam Bearing

So the front Inner Cam Bearing took a "crap" on my 2005 Ultra w/ 30k miles to the point where there aren't any needles left in the bearing housing. I found some needles in the oil pump & oil pan. I would like to order the Herko Conversion Kit; but I assume that there are probably more needles inside the case. Has anyone had any luck with just "flushing" everything without "splitting" the case then installing the new kit/parts?

Old 07-25-2010, 01:45 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

I am not sure you could efficiently flush the case out as there is no drain on the bottom. Also, if that bearing went bad then there will be fine metal particles from the grinding of the cam journal and bearings throughout the engine. As bad and as expensive as it sounds, the only way to fix this without later on causing much more problems is removal of the engine and complete disassembly with the cases, head, pan and other large parts being boiled out. Would probably need the oil pump replaced along with most or all of the bearings.

Last edited by Guntoter; 07-25-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:12 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Sorry to hear that. You're facing a complete teardown. There's not much getting away from that. The good news it that with the motor apart, you can do some serious upgrading.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:27 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Might want to check out HD's Engine Remanufacturing program. I've heard some good reports about it.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:22 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Dionicio
Might want to check out HD's Engine Remanufacturing program. I've heard some good reports about it.
Yeah, I'm probably going the Raman route...

Old 07-25-2010, 03:39 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default used oil analysis

Originally Posted by aviscomi
So the front Inner Cam Bearing took a "crap" on my 2005 Ultra w/ 30k miles to the point where there aren't any needles left in the bearing housing. I found some needles in the oil pump & oil pan. I would like to order the Herko Conversion Kit; but I assume that there are probably more needles inside the case...
That really blows, especially @ only 30,000 miles! You have made a good case for doing regular UOA's at each oil change. It is just possible that it would have predicted the bearing failure.

A Moco re-manufactured engine sounds like a great choice, if you are satisfied w/ stock configuration. An engine specialty shop might know how to improve on that, though. Gear-drive cams might be a nice upgrade while it's apart.

Is there anything in your riding or maintenance history which may have led to or foretold this failure? Wondered if you inspect the oil-filter debris, if you change your own oil, and which oil you have been using?