Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Troubleshooting Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010 | 12:55 PM
uncblue
Advanced

Since the OPs original question has been answered, I thought I'd ask a question about the cruise...I just installed cruise on my 05 FLTH..I did the cable initilization a couple of times and I still can not get it to work..Any thoughts? The red light comes on when I turn on the cruise switch...Then once up above 40, I try to set it, it will not set...The light will turn green; The retention clip is in place and the cable itself seems tight so it seems that the cable coiled in with the engine revs....any thoughts that I could check? I'll try the steps from ECs post tonight...

Thanks for the feedback...

B

The following users liked this post:
antocar27 (06-01-2017)
Old 07-30-2011 | 06:51 AM
wulffe
Tourer

I just picked up a 2007 RK. In step 3 the light comes on amber - never shows green.

Which switch is this an indication of as a problem?

Possibly related - The brake lights are also not working but I hear the relay click. I don't think it is an 'always on' situation since only one filament is lit up when the power is on - always assumed both filaments light up when the brakes are applied. If it only lights up the larger one then I do have an 'always on'.

I swapped out the bulb - no change in the lights. I manually depressed the switch in the hand controls and that didn't change the taillight situation either. Could be a bad switch but the relay clicks when I engage the brakes so I'm thinking not

Ordering the service manual today

antocar27 (06-01-2017)
Old 07-30-2011 | 08:21 PM
burnafatty
Tourer

Dam you guy's are smarter than you look....Good stuff...Now I know Thanks

Old 07-30-2011 | 08:43 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by EC145Pilot
Here's a procedure you can try.
It works on an '05 FLH so let's see if it works on your RK.

1. Hold cruise switch in the "set" position.
2. Turn the cruise "on"
3. Turn the main power switch on, the cruise light should initially come on then turn green, release the cruise switch the light will turn amber.
4. Push the cruise switch to "resume" the light should turn green, release the switch, the light should turn amber.
5. Roll the throttle "off", make sure you roll it off to activate the cutoff switch for the cruise, the light should turn green, release the throttle the light should turn amber.
6. Apply the front brake, the light should turn green, release it, the light should turn amber.
7. Apply the back brake, the light should turn green, hold the brake until the light turns amber, release the brake now, you should hear the cruise motor adjusting itself (taking ujp the slack).

What you have done is test each of the "switches" that are in the cruise system. If, during any of the tests, the light does not turn green, then that part is at fault.

The back brake switch is often at fault. You can test that by applying the brake and see if the light is already on. If it is, the cruise will not engage.

The front brake switch can be at fault also, as it sometimes gets damaged when work is done on the right handgrip/brake lever assembly and the proper procedure is not followed.

The "roll-off" switch can also be at fault. Check the connections on that.

It does sound like it's a fault in the brake system, since it started malfunctioning after you applied the brakes.

Hope this helps
This is a great post! Thank you!

Originally Posted by harley-jones
This is a great post! Thank you!
good info, but i can confirm that this does not work on a 2010. i would guess on 08 and newer since the cruise is controlled by the ecm but i only had my bike to try it on. does anyone know if there is some cool super secret squirrel switch combo that does work on the newer bikes?

antocar27 (06-01-2017)
Old 06-24-2014 | 09:29 PM
jdpalmer
Stage I

I went through this test but the green would not come on . This is on a 2007 ultra
Jim

Old 07-16-2014 | 04:04 PM
4srs
Stage I
Default roll off test

I did the test procedure and the only one that didn't work was the roll-off test. I'm not sure I am doing right. When riding mine it will usually set but disengages a few seconds or minute later. The front brake switch was recently replaced. I checked the connections on the roll-off switch, looked good. When you roll off the throttle are you holding the set switch on?

Old 07-16-2014 | 05:07 PM
kitt90
Cruiser

I had that problem too I found that my brake light was not working I relaced the fuse for the brake light and the cruise fuse was blown after replacing that fuse it blew rt away found a short in the wires that run up under the rear fender this is on an 07 rk

Old 07-20-2014 | 07:09 AM
Sturgis Junkie
Intermediate

You can disconnect the roll off switch wires if that is where the problem is. Cruise will work with both wires disconnected but your cruise will not disengage with throttle roll off.

Old 06-09-2015 | 05:30 PM
mtabion
Stage II

Originally Posted by MrHog
Thank you very much for posting this information. Went through the steps this morning. My cruise out of the blue stopped working a few weeks ago. The red cruise light would come on, but would not turn green and engage. Once in awhile I could get it to engage if I hit set rapidly, but the bike would speed up real fast without stopping until I hit the brakes or turned off the cruise. I just rode 70 miles on the interstate with the cruise set at 72. Never touched the throttle the whole way. Cruise held at 72 on the dot.
This was happening to mine...what problems you had and got it going?

Old 12-20-2015 | 02:10 PM
Westjl
Stage II

I know this is an old post but I have a question about it. On step 3 my light will come on green for a second or two and then turn red. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Quick Reply: Troubleshooting Cruise Control