Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there any way I could have my J&M's wired wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 10:15 AM
Harley_RN
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
Sometimes it's tough to get a 'real' accurate preview on something, when the vendor has a million posts in the thread that keep promoting it.

You've noticed that too ?

Old 07-25-2010, 10:26 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley_RN
You've noticed that too ?
Just to clarify, there are a lot of guys on this forum that have the J&M 7.25" speakers with and without the amp and love their setup. The majority of the feedback being more than 90% are very positive if not stellar. I didn't know we had a million posts touting these speakers. Most of the posts are from regular forum guys stating how much they love their new found sound and how they highly recommend them.

Shawn

Old 07-25-2010, 10:46 AM
FLS2FLH
Tourer

Originally Posted by vickers1
If you have them out of phase (wires crossed positive on negative) , they will sound like you describe. To find out, pick any speaker (only 1 though) and change the positive to the negative and put the negative to positive and listen to the system. If they were out of phase, you should be able to hear the difference immediately, especially better bass response. You probably need to put the fairing on or have someone hold it in place while you listen.
This is excellent advice!

Old 07-25-2010, 11:18 AM
AThousandHurricanes
Road Master

It's gotta be the phase thing. I'm not looking for a miracle at all...just some improvement over stock. As it stands the stocks speakers literally sound much better. I also don't get the volume others have stated...I have to crank it up almost the whole way to hear at the same levels as I used to with my stock speakers with the bars sound 4-5. Something is not right. I will have to pull the fairing off and mess with it. If that's the case, they need to add this info I to their instructions, as it seems to list nothing regarding phase.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:25 AM
PhatTerry
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure you are not using low quality 128KB/s MP3 recordings. Like any quality audio setup, the better it is, the more it shows the short comings of the source recordings. This is true of all higher end audio equipment.

Some suggestions if this is the case... If you are using low grade MP3 recordings, try using 196KB or higher quality level. It makes a HUGE difference. Make sure your recordings are from the source CD, not an MP3 made from an MP3 and so on. Don't use those free MP3 sites or programs since most of the songs on those are very poor quality. Even the 196KB + ones are just up converted poor quality 128KB versions. Better yet, try a store bought CD. Sirius and XM are also poor quality sources, I've heard some say XM is less than 64KB/s.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:34 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

athousandHurricanes ,,,,,

I am very sorry that you are having problems ,,,,,,

I have heard what you are describing, but only once ,,,,,

Upon closer inspection, the installer had not secured all three screws in each speaker adapter assembly all the way tight,,,,, in addition, he had not positioned the speaker flanges around the adapter ring properly, bending down the corner tabs on the speakers themselves,,,,,,,

you could see good sized gaps from the front of the fairing, where the grill was supposed to seat against the inner fairing, and of course more air gaps (after fairing clamshell was pulled back off)) between the speaker and the adapter ring ,,,,

without proper sealing and installation, the sound can turn into a tinny/ratty sound unpleasant to anyone that listens to them ,,,,,,

please let me know what you find and if you have an amp installed, and confirm the year of your bike and if the radio is stock Harley or not ,,,

Old 07-25-2010, 12:03 PM
g money
Account Retired
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JMJOHN

Upon closer inspection, the installer had not secured all three screws in each speaker adapter assembly all the way tight,,,,, in addition, he had not positioned the speaker flanges around the adapter ring properly, bending down the corner tabs on the speakers themselves,,,,,,,

you could see good sized gaps from the front of the fairing, where the grill was supposed to seat against the inner fairing, and of course more air gaps (after fairing clamshell was pulled back off)) between the speaker and the adapter ring ,,,,

without proper sealing and installation, the sound can turn into a tinny/ratty sound unpleasant to anyone that listens to them ,,,,,,

please let me know what you find and if you have an amp installed, and confirm the year of your bike and if the radio is stock Harley or not ,,,
It doesn't sound unpleasant, just doesn't have that "stereo" sound that the stock speakers have. Like I've said before it sounds like I'm listening to music through a cell phone. When I put my stock speakers on volume level 3, I have to put the 7.25's on about 5 to get the same level of sound. They are loud at speed but it sounds like two speakers are too close together, no seperation. Like you are listening to music through one big speaker.
Gary D.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:30 PM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JMJOHN

Interesting you bring this up as I had a couple mittle mishaps happen when installing mine. I had to remove the speaker from the adapter at least three times because when I mounted the speaker and tugged on it a bit to make sure it was tight, the adapter/grill wasn't tightened all the way down. Can you believe it took me three times? All three times it was loose, getting tighter everytime. Eventually it got tight. Of course that is my mishap. You would think I would have it down for the other side right? NOPE!!!! I think I did it like twice on the other side. It was comical at the end. The thing is that they felt tight when I mounted them. Of course I didn't want to strip the fairing by tightening too much. Other than that, everything was pretty straight foward. I can't really see how the phases can get mixed up either as the ends are of different sizes.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:51 PM
AThousandHurricanes
Road Master

Nope...the speakers are in good...I was really careful when installing them. All looks normal.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:15 PM
Cosmic Charlie
Elite HDF Member
Received 103 Likes on 58 Posts

try listening to a REAL store bought CD - just to compare ...

Quick Reply: Is there any way I could have my J&M's wired wrong?