Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insulted today by dealer trade quote...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 09:48 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Kelly blue book for your zip code

2007 Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Value Email July 24, 2010
2-Cylinders
4-Stroke
1584cc
Trade-In Value (Good Condition) $10900* Trade-in Value is what consumers can expect to receive from a dealer for a trade-in unit assuming an accurate appraisal of condition. This value will likely be less than you would receive from a private party sale because the reselling dealer incurs the cost of safety inspections, reconditioning and other costs of doing business. Trade-in values are based on clean units in good condition, with all original standard equipment. Mileage/condition and additional equipment may have a substantial impact on the value shown above.

So, they are low by about $1500, Milage may affect the price,,, extras, nothing at all to the dealer.. PP sale, maybe .25 on the dollar??

Old 07-24-2010, 09:49 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

not sure on all your specs of your bike but this is what I came up with looking at EDIT**** NADA guide (not KBB as I had typed).

Low retail $10,110 average retail $11,925

with some acc. i selected you might have
$11,455 $13,419

Last edited by hog95023; 07-24-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:54 PM
rushbass
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll get more selling it outright... never trade with a dealer.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:59 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Why do you feel "insulted"? Why take it personal? It's a business transaction after all. A dealer, or any reseller, would be foolish to pay above "trade-in" value. Your bike will probably not sell quickly at the dealership because of the mileage and will most likely have to be wholesaled.

Don't know about in NC but in TX that $9400 on a trade is actually worth about $10K figuring sales tax savings. Not a bad deal actually.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:59 PM
FXSTS-88
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The real price is the difference they want between your bike and theirs.
Am thinking you'll be better off selling it and dickering with cash instead of a bike and cash.
What does the dealer's floor inventory look like? Lots of bikes means low price for trades... few bikes might get a few more dollars for your trade.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:04 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

I agree, selling yourself, you will most always get more than a trade in... Dealer will NEVER give close to retail but a lot of guys do not want strangers coming to your house, wanting to test ride and then "well, I will offer you ????" Yes, selling can net you more, but the hassle can cost you... DO you have the time and patients to deal with the public. I sold a little Honda 125 about 6 months ago on Craigs list... I can't count how many calls I got from looky loos... and very strang offers and then the 'No shows" I will be there at 3pm, I hang around and NO Show... call and get BS... Just a lot of head aches....

People with cash Want a DEAL... its just the way it is now...

Main reason I still ride my 04 with 50K on it.. Its not new, but it has been a good friend... only reason I would like a new bike is the ABS...

wish there was some way to go aftermarket on ABS.. that worked,

Old 07-24-2010, 10:24 PM
18BKLR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I just don't understand why they won't give you anything for all the mods that you do to a bike but when you trade, all they do is bragg about all the extras on that bike to the next guy they are trying to sell it to. Business is boomin out here so the used bikes even with high miles are tough to come by. A for sale by owner for a while would probably get you what you want for it..

Old 07-24-2010, 10:37 PM
corrosiontrav
4th Gear

i used to be an F&I manager and part-time used car manger at many a car dealership.

Let me tell you this, no manager wants to tell you what your vehicle is worth on trade when we can tell you put some money into your ride. Because, we know that is money you will never see again. It means nothing to the next buyer, ergo it means nothing to us.

Think about it this way when you think about trading your ride in...How much (realistically) would I pay for this peice of machinery with the mileage I have on it? Now take about 2500 bucks off that and that is what a dealer will probably offer on trade. And this isn't his fault he has to pay some wrench jocky to go through it and fix anything wrong with it, and pay some other sparkle technician to make it showroom ready and make a few bucks on selling it to keep the lights on.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:47 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

49,000 miles on an '07 in this market is toxic. There are so many low-mileage used bikes on the market, they'll have a helluva time selling yours, no matter what you've added to it.

You may be able to sell it for more, but probably not much more. It's a fair trade offer. Remember, until KBB and NADA come with a "buy-it-now" button, they're pretty much just meaningless numbers.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:26 PM
dstahl
Advanced

I just got on offer of 11300 on an '07 SG with 45000 miles.
He said he wanted to move the '10 SG I was looking at.
I wasn't really looking, just wondering what he would say.

Now I kind of wish he would have insulted me, cuz I am thinking about it.

Quick Reply: Insulted today by dealer trade quote...