Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot! Hot! Hot!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 07:03 AM
KJOGlide
Cruiser
Received 108 Likes on 40 Posts

Sounds like a great ride!!

Old 07-31-2010, 07:19 AM
Robert_W
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing that with us. Those are the stories your grandchildren will love to hear.

I have no complaints of mine overheating.

Continue to ride safe,

Bob.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:39 AM
bowa18
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Yes, on the 2010 touring bikes the rear cylinder can be shut off manually by the rider. Just twist the throttle clockwise and the rear shuts off. There is an icon in the speedometer that will flash orange if hot and green when within specs.
That's not how it works! You can not turn off the rear cylinder, you can only activate or deactivate the system.... once activated the rear cylinder will only cut out when certain things are met. The bike has to be stopped, clutch in or in neutral and the engine temp high enough for the system to kick in. Once you roll the throttle forward and you see a green light the system is on and you don't have to mess with it again unless you want to deactivate the system. Go out to your bike and roll the throttle forward...you'll see a green light (system on) let go of the throttle, then roll it forward again and you're going to see an orange light (system off). Here's the deal, when you first roll the throttle forward the light is indicating the current status of the system.. green/on orange/off... if you immediately re-roll the throttle you switch the current status. That's how it works on 08-10/11 bikes! As far as HEAT goes... it does exist, put a passenger on the back, ride in hot weather in stop and go traffic and ask them how their right foot/leg feels! I personally don't get hit with the heat but my wife's right leg sure does, I've put my right hand down there and there's PLENTY of HEAT present. Glad you had a great trip but you're mistaken with how the heat management system works and there's definitely no lack of heat for the passenger's right foot/leg. Also, by getting 89 octane vs. 91/93 oct. you're only saving .40-.50 cents a fill up, not a reason to use lesser octane IMHO.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:47 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Great post, great ride, great you could do it with your sons. I've gotten a little toasty here in D.C. to the point I'm thinking about redoing the pipes to get rid of the cat.
500 miles a day average, thats a push even for a lot of younger guys....i know it is for me at 57. Can't wait until I'm 70 and still riding.

cass

Old 07-31-2010, 08:03 AM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

WOW,, I was impressed to say the least,,, all the way UP TO the part where I saw your age! Then I was nearly overwhelmed!

You sir ARE MY HERO TOO!

I would love to do a ride like that with my son, if he ever gets a bike that's capable, not a 500.00 one,, but he has a ways to go financially before that happens....

Either way I would love to do a ride like that...

Congrats on a great ride, and adventure with your sons!
Memories are wonderful! They'll cherish those long after your gone,, (Another 20+ years I would guess the way you sound! LOL)

Oh, and not because of the heat necessarily, but because I want more sound, I am going to get rid of my cat. Get a breather and get the motor mapped for economy and tuning. This is on my SHORT LIST,,

Old 07-31-2010, 08:09 AM
OnTheFence
Tourer

Yes, on the 2010 touring bikes the rear cylinder can be shut off manually by the rider. Just twist the throttle clockwise and the rear shuts off. There is an icon in the speedometer that will flash orange if hot and green when within specs.
Are you sure about that? I thought the Green meant it was enabled and the orange meant disabled.

Either way, If Eitms kicks in, you won't need a light to tell you. It is very obvious.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:14 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by bowa18
That's not how it works! You can not turn off the rear cylinder, you can only activate or deactivate the system.... once activated the rear cylinder will only cut out when certain things are met. The bike has to be stopped, clutch in or in neutral and the engine temp high enough for the system to kick in. Once you roll the throttle forward and you see a green light the system is on and you don't have to mess with it again unless you want to deactivate the system. Go out to your bike and roll the throttle forward...you'll see a green light (system on) let go of the throttle, then roll it forward again and you're going to see an orange light (system off). Here's the deal, when you first roll the throttle forward the light is indicating the current status of the system.. green/on orange/off... if you immediately re-roll the throttle you switch the current status. That's how it works on 08-10/11 bikes! As far as HEAT goes... it does exist, put a passenger on the back, ride in hot weather in stop and go traffic and ask them how their right foot/leg feels! I personally don't get hit with the heat but my wife's right leg sure does, I've put my right hand down there and there's PLENTY of HEAT present. Glad you had a great trip but you're mistaken with how the heat management system works and there's definitely no lack of heat for the passenger's right foot/leg. Also, by getting 89 octane vs. 91/93 oct. you're only saving .40-.50 cents a fill up, not a reason to use lesser octane IMHO.
You're absolutely correct on all points.

The OP should come visit us and call my GF a BSer for complaining about excessive heat and he'll get an earful. lol
She's anything but a BSer and when she says it's friggin' hot around her right foot, I believe her cause I checked.
If the OP doesn't feel the heat when it's 110F outside and the engine temp is above 285F cause that's what it takes for the rear cylinder to shut off, good for him but for others, it's not fun.
Would have I spent close to $1,500 dollars just to make my bike run cooler and make my passenger more comfy if it wasn't real? <sigh>

To the OP, sounds like you had a great time and I hope I'll be able to ride as much as you do when I'm 70.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:16 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since I scheduled last years adventure ride for me and two of my son's, one of them scheduled this years ride from Illinois to the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway and Key West.

We started on Friday July 16 and returned home Thursday July 22nd. The entire trip was in a tropical heat wave of 100 to 105 degrees with an index of 118.

We ran into a one mile long stop and go back up in Kentucky due to an auto accident. I was on a 2010 Ultra that was stock so it was running 14.7 to one air/fuel ratio and had the cat in the head pipe.

I was never so surprised that the engine never overheated and went into the limp mode. My legs and feet never got hot at all. No pinging and I was running 89 octane the entire ride.

We got to the Dragon and 129 was just re-opened so we went right through. I did the best I could on a HD bagger. Only two sport bikes passed me in the 18 miles.

Then we went to the Skyway which was an even better ride as it went up to over 5,200 ft elevation and had great scenic overlooks.

We dropped down through S.C. to Georgia above Atlanta. The next day we managed to get will into Florida. From there we got to Key West.

The rest of the trip was through the panhandle to Alabama,Mississippi, Louisiana and up through Arkansas,Missouri and back to Illinois.

The temps stayed into the hundreds all the way. The trip was about 4,000 mile for about 500 miles per day.

We stopped every two hours and tried to drink all the Gatorade that the quick marts had in the coolers.

At 70 years of age, the ride took me to the limits of endurance but after each stop I motored on.

The main thing I learned about the HD touring bike is that the posts on this forum about the motors over heating and excessive heat on the feet and legs is total B.S. The muffler turning blue is B.S. also.

In stop and go traffic, I would twist the throttle forward to shut off the rear cylinder and every time the light showed green that it was not above temp to require the rear cylinder shut off.

So, to all the crying pussies I call B.S.
You have to understand, what's hot can be a subjective viewpoint. Plus, there are lots of liars out there.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:33 AM
OnTheFence
Tourer

So, to all the crying pussies I call B.S.
If the lady on back says it's hot......... Then it's hot. Otherwise It's time to man up.

Not very many people can lay down 500 mile days and still enjoy the ride. Doing it at 70 is very impressive.

It's easy to feel offended or disrecpected when you can't hang.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:06 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by bowa18
This post is 100% accurate. The EITMS system can only be activated or deactivated by rolling the throttle forward. Activating and deactivating the system does not turn the actual system ON or OFF. Only high temps will actually turn the system ON and only if the system is already "activated" either using the throttle or through the tuning software.

Once the system senses high temps over a certain limit, the system will no longer pulse fuel or spark to the rear cylinder (and only the rear cylinder). The system does not alternate cylinders. The system will not turn off the rear cylinder unless the bike is stopped and the clutch is in. Once the throttle is rolled on and the clutch is released, the rear cylinder will get fuel/spark and immediately fire up.

Also if you are using 89/91 octane you are only making your heat problems worse, since a lower octane fuel will burn at a higher temp resulting in even higher exhaust temps felt at the right calf. If temp is an issue for you, get the highest octane you can buy. If you're interested, I've posted another tip here that you might be interested in https://www.hdforums.com/forum/7078009-post71.html

Quick Reply: Hot! Hot! Hot!