Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot! Hot! Hot!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 05:46 PM
drifter27011
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am only 61 and you wore me out just reading about your adventure.
Glad you guys had a great and safe ride

Old 07-24-2010, 05:56 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Way to go! I hear you! I love stories like this. Good memories for you doing this with your Son's. It has been unusally hot this month. Thank's for your input about your Ultra. I've never doubted HD Engineers, but it was getting a little hectic reading all the post on here about having to spend 2K to cool these big twins down. The only reason I do the stage1 and pipes is for sound and let her breathe a little more. I'm 68 and we have a trip planned out west next year. Just sold my Trailer so looks as if we'll be riding. Ride Safe!!!

Old 07-24-2010, 05:57 PM
MrHd1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 61 and you can obviously outride a number of kids I know half your age. Rode my 08 Ultra into the hell known as Phoenix a couple years ago and agree with your assessment on heat issues.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:11 PM
D2R
Banned

57 here 6900+ miles Smokey mts. to Oregon coast in 17 days last month.1 1000+ mile day 2 700 milers on the trip.Leaving for Glacier park then to Seattle Thursday.You're never too old if you love it.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:35 PM
FLS2FLH
Tourer

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Since I scheduled last years adventure ride for me and two of my son's, one of them scheduled this years ride from Illinois to the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway and Key West.

We started on Friday July 16 and returned home Thursday July 22nd. The entire trip was in a tropical heat wave of 100 to 105 degrees with an index of 118.

We ran into a one mile long stop and go back up in Kentucky due to an auto accident. I was on a 2010 Ultra that was stock so it was running 14.7 to one air/fuel ratio and had the cat in the head pipe.

I was never so surprised that the engine never overheated and went into the limp mode. My legs and feet never got hot at all. No pinging and I was running 89 octane the entire ride.

We got to the Dragon and 129 was just re-opened so we went right through. I did the best I could on a HD bagger. Only two sport bikes passed me in the 18 miles.

Then we went to the Skyway which was an even better ride as it went up to over 5,200 ft elevation and had great scenic overlooks.

We dropped down through S.C. to Georgia above Atlanta. The next day we managed to get will into Florida. From there we got to Key West.

The rest of the trip was through the panhandle to Alabama,Mississippi, Louisiana and up through Arkansas,Missouri and back to Illinois.

The temps stayed into the hundreds all the way. The trip was about 4,000 mile for about 500 miles per day.

We stopped every two hours and tried to drink all the Gatorade that the quick marts had in the coolers.

At 70 years of age, the ride took me to the limits of endurance but after each stop I motored on.

The main thing I learned about the HD touring bike is that the posts on this forum about the motors over heating and excessive heat on the feet and legs is total B.S. The muffler turning blue is B.S. also.

In stop and go traffic, I would twist the throttle forward to shut off the rear cylinder and every time the light showed green that it was not above temp to require the rear cylinder shut off.

So, to all the crying pussies I call B.S.
You know, I was enjoying your story until you basically felt the need to disrespect a whole bunch of us here on the forum who are experiencing excessive heat and power loss. I guess whatever it is you "learned" must apply to everyone, and its just our imagination.

Thanks for the education. (Not.)

Old 07-24-2010, 07:48 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had no heat problems with my 09 Road King. It's bone stock with no oil cooler and a cat in the pipe. Mobile One 20W-50 since the 5k oil change. I'm here in the desert southwest where we have a patent on the word "heat".

I've never had the heat management kick-in and never felt "roasted" by the bike like many here have and never had pinging. Not sure if it's just individual perception on this matter or if there's something unique about my bike. Yes i've been hotter than hell in 110+ conditions but the bike did just fine and didn't feel any hotter than a machine should feel in such conditions...

Just my own experience here, but no problems with excessive heat.

Last edited by Arizona; 07-24-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:49 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by FLS2FLH
You know, I was enjoying your story until you basically felt the need to disrespect a whole bunch of us here on the forum who are experiencing excessive heat and power loss. I guess whatever it is you "learned" must apply to everyone, and its just our imagination.

Thanks for the education. (Not.)
The GM at the local dealership tells me that buyers of the '07 '08 '09 and '10 bikes have been raisin' hell with him about the heat issue. I have to believe that there IS a problem

Old 07-24-2010, 08:15 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

My hats off to lh4x4. Glad to hear good things about a stock bike, I think Harley knows what their do'in. My pipes and air cleaner are stay'in stock ! Don't need no stink'in oil cooler either.

Last edited by drukanfu; 07-24-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:29 PM
frozensoul
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dang, you are for sure THE MAN. hope you get many more miles in. hope i can hang in that long at 70.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Ernest T
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good for you old timer, you keep riding that bike all you can . It will keep you young and please don't buy no stinking trailer, get a 3 wheeler if you have to but no trailer. I'm 60 , started riding in 1964 , first Harley in 1973 . I've always told myself if I have to trailer, I'll stop riding... oops Sorry I got off subject . My 2008 Street Glide did run hotter then I liked, so adding pipes , breather and more fuel puts it right where I want it to be.

I'm trying to remember , when did ( looking for the correct word here ) Bikers thats it ! Start trailering ? early 90's I'm thinking ? Time changes everything , guess thats way it's gonna be

See you on the road , Ernest T

Quick Reply: Hot! Hot! Hot!