Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed J&M 7.25's and amp.... not sure what to think

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 01:25 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just installed J&M 7.25's and amp.... not sure what to think

The install was pretty easy, kinda a tight squeeze, but easy. i got it all buttoned up about 10 minutes ago and tested it out. With out a doubt it sounds way better than the stock speaks but it lacks the bass I was hoping for. I thought the amp would have really helped this package out but I'm some what disappointed. Anyone have any thoughts to why I might be lacking the bass? And yes I did have the batwing on. The directions state that there may be sound loss without the batwing in place so I tested it on. I believe the amp comes tuned from J&M so I didn't mess with any settings.... if there are any to mess with. I noticed a long sticker covering one part of the amp so I assumed there are gain controls under there but were covered after the amp was set to factory specs.

Any help would be awesome. P.S. I'm going to hop in the pool cause it's hot as monkeys out today!!! Be back in 15

Old 07-24-2010, 01:27 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

You need to set the bass on your stereo. I'll have Shawn psot up optimum settings in a bit.

Drew

Old 07-24-2010, 01:43 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

The amps come pre-set from J&M and I have personally inspected the gain levels and they are set at a good level, so no need to mess with any of the settings unless you are running RCAs from the headunit to the amp.

Bass depends on the type of music you are listening to as Rock has little to no bass. What type of music are you testing with?

I keep my bass setting at 4-6 bars and treble at 2-3 bars, as that seems to be the optimal setting. You can always adjust from there, depending on what type of music you are listening to. Rock usually needs more bass setting and less treble to get richer, deeper sound levels. I have played around with the treble and bass settings for a good amount of time and it is really subjective. You may like a different setting than I do and vice versa, but try my recommended settings first and then go from there.

Make sure your AVC control settings is set to off as well. Doesn't affect bass, but does affect volume level.

Hope this helps!

Shawn

Old 07-24-2010, 02:10 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the help DR.

I set my bass and treble to the middle section on each and went from there prior to my first post. I listen to country which usually doesnt have much bass anyway but I pretty much listen to everything so when I threw on some hip hop I was surprised there wasn't much bass to be heard. Had I not purchased the amp and got the sound I got now I would be more than happy but since I spent the extra and went the amp route I must say I am disappointed so far. I'll toy around with it and post back my thoughts later on. I might come around.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:14 PM
nedster
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I hate to say it but that is the #1 complaint on J&M's, very tinny sounding and no bass. In some peoples opinion that just because something is louder than stock it sounds great. Thats why they made those fairing diapers to get some bass out of them. But loud doesnt mean it sounds good.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm back, tested em out on back roads and highway. Tried hip hop, rock and country. Also tried FM and ipod. I got the treble and bass settings on the radio at about 4/5 bars. My final thoughts..................

10 times better than stock, without a doubt. I can hear em perfectly clear and they sound damn good.

Install was very easy

Now for the bad..........

NO BASS!!!!!!!! Sitting in my driveway I can get the bass setting up to 6/8 bars and they still sound good BUT when your moving you want the volume up a little to a lot more and then the 6/8 bars is too much and you need to turn the bass down or you can hear the speakers distort. Speaking of no bass, I wonder how these sound without an amp.........

PRICE!!!!! I tossed the idea of getting these around for at least 4 months now. The price is pretty steep. Not sure what the MSRP is but when it came time to order I did my homework and found a shop that sells these pretty cheap. Even at the cheaper price I paid I DO NOT FEEL THESE ARE WORTH THE MONEY.

I'm not one to write a bad review but I'm just plain unsatisfied with these. Like I said, these are way better than stock but for the price there has to be something out there that got more bass with just as good highs. I'm going to be looking into some new speakers that hopefully will give me just as good high and mids as these but with bass and can work with the J&M amp. It was a project to run the power wire clean for the amp so I really don't wanna take it out haha.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:35 PM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you purchase the J&M 7.25's?

I have the ARC version of that amp and I felt the same way you do about the bass with the factory size speakers. Plus I had Alpine components and a Alpine HU with it. It just didn't sound good or at least what I thought it should have sounded like.

I then took a chance and purchased the 7.25's. Man what a difference. Like night and day. My previous speakers were 4 ohm so that kind of hindered everything as well. The J&M's are 2 ohm which sound much, much better. Because of their size, they give off plenty of bass too.

If you haven't got these speakers, take a chance and pick some up through the DR. They treat you right and have fast shipping.

A little note and I'm sure you already know this, but what kind of bass can you really expect from such a small speaker enclosed in such a tight space?

EDIT: Just saw you have the 7.25's. I'm perfectly happy with mine. I don't look at it satisfaction for price. I'm happy and that's all that matters. Another thing, if your listening to an iPod, they have an EQ so make sure that is set right. I believe I have mine set to treble boost or something like that. Don't try it with the radio. Radio broadcasts sound like sh*t.

Last edited by r8rs4lf; 07-24-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:41 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by r8rs4lf
According to the thread title, he did.

This is the #1 reason I haven't taken the plunge on these things yet. It would seem that the Hogtunes pod would help matters a little, assuming that there's a crossover.

It's a freaking Harley, so it's never going to have phenomenal sound, but I'm surprised that there's such consistent criticism of these speakers...... especially at the price J&M's getting.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by r8rs4lf

I have the ARC version of that amp and I felt the same way you do about the bass with the factory size speakers. Plus I had Alpine components and a Alpine HU with it. It just didn't sound good or at least what I thought it should have sounded like.

I then took a chance and purchased the 7.25's. Man what a difference. Like night and day. My previous speakers were 4 ohm so that kind of hindered everything as well. The J&M's are 2 ohm which sound much, much better. Because of their size, they give off plenty of bass too.

If you haven't got these speakers, take a chance and pick some up through the DR. They treat you right and have fast shipping.

A little note and I'm sure you already know this, but what kind of bass can you really expect from such a small speaker enclosed in such a tight space?
Yes I have a factory head unit with J&M amp and 7.25's What kind of bass do I expect???? A lot more. Myself and quite of few friends have been doing car audio since we got a first cars haha. Now at are older age there are a few of us (not myself) who professionally do car audio. You can get some good bass out of little space, that I'm not worried about. With the reviews I have read on these I'm very disappointed. For what it is it sounds damn good though, just IMO not worth the $$$

Old 07-24-2010, 03:48 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member

Maybe a better reply on my end would be.......

I'd like NOTICEABLE bass. I'm not looking to rattle cars next to me like those god awful trash can exhaust civics haha.

Quick Reply: Just installed J&M 7.25's and amp.... not sure what to think