Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed J&M 7.25's and amp.... not sure what to think

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 07:41 PM
PhatTerry
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JMJOHN
r8rs4lf ,,,,,,,

you are correct ,,,, the J&M's with the amp are THE BEST you will find for your Harley ,,,,

I am not sure why this thread has turned into a bash J&M contest, but anyone who wants to hear the truth can go by Shawn's place (Dr V-twin) in Hollywood OR bring your bike by the J&M audio trailer that is on display right now at Black Hills HD in Rapid City SD, and hear the whole set-up for yourself ,,,,,

compare them side-by-side with your own bike, same CD whatever ,,,,,,,

J&M has worked very hard on this complete system and it does work as advertised ,,,

thank you for listening ,,,,,,,,,,,
John, we have your amp and speakers installed on our 09 Street Glide which means anyone in the Orange County CA area is more than welcome to stop by to listen to the here as well. These are stocked items too for same day pickup or shipping convenience.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:53 PM
PhatTerry
Banned

Originally Posted by randytro
I didn't get a phone message. What ever number you have is no doubt one I made up, I never give mine out when placing an order online.

I followed all the steps you laid out. I came to the conclusion the speakers and amp are working the way they are supposed to, they just don't sound good. I had some buddies come over and listen to them, the only thing we agreed on was they don't sound good. They sound better (clearer) if you turn the bass way down, but then no bass sounds bad too. With bass they are muffled and you can't understand the words. It also sounds like some frequencies are cut out all together. Some songs I know well and instruments and words are missing, especially the mid range (to my ear). Words are garbled and down low in the background. Hard to explain and every song is different.

These may be the best speakers you can get for a harley, but they sound like crap, there is no clarity. I want to be able to hear all the frequencies and the words clearly.

I don't know if I should spend even more money trying to make these sound good and get tweeters or something else, or if I should get rid of the speakers completely. The amp seems to be okay, maybe, I don't know anymore. It was louder at first, I do have to turn the volume up pretty high to here the radio on the highway, I didn't need to in the beginning.

So anyway, I don't think there is anything that can be fixed or tweeked. So do I spend more money and maybe add to the problem or get rid of the speakers? If I get rid of the speakers, what else is there, which ones sound clear?
What you are describing is surely not what ours sound like. It might be they were wired out of phase from one another which would cancel our frequencies. That means one speaker is wired +/- and the other is wired backwards -/+.

From my understanding these are going back (or already on their way back) to J&M so they can test them to find out what is going on. J&M is top notch in regards to support or their products, you're in good hands and if they aren't performing within spec's, they'll surely have them replaced. In the mean time, let me know if there is anything I can help with.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:58 PM
MdTIGwelder
Advanced

subscribed

Old 08-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Strat HD
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been researching bike stereo for a month. Here and all over the net. Been to all the Bike this and hog that sites. Why is bike audio so expensive? I'm not taking any chances. Putting a Rockford Amp in my saddlebag. They have been making em for a while. The trade off of losing bag space compared to wondering which bike amp sounds good is worth it to me. At least I won't be wondering if I made the right choice. And yes, I read every post in this thread.

Last edited by Strat HD; 08-15-2010 at 08:56 PM.