Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed J&M 7.25's and amp.... not sure what to think

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 05:11 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by randytro
I was wondering the same thing. Does yours sound muffled? I'm about ready to just take them out, I don't really want to mess with them anymore. If you take the padding out let us know how they sound.
If you want, have J&M replace everything and see if that fixes it. Trust me, it's worth the effort. My J&M setup sounds amazing and I highly recommend getting everything replaced, so you can start enjoying it!

Just saying...you have some recourse! If I can be of any assistance dealing with J&M, let me know. I would be more than happy to step in and help out. I talk to J&M at least a few times a day!

Shawn

Last edited by DR. V-TWIN; 08-04-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:01 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

r8rs4lf ,,,,,,,

you are correct ,,,, the J&M's with the amp are THE BEST you will find for your Harley ,,,,

I am not sure why this thread has turned into a bash J&M contest, but anyone who wants to hear the truth can go by Shawn's place (Dr V-twin) in Hollywood OR bring your bike by the J&M audio trailer that is on display right now at Black Hills HD in Rapid City SD, and hear the whole set-up for yourself ,,,,,

compare them side-by-side with your own bike, same CD whatever ,,,,,,,

J&M has worked very hard on this complete system and it does work as advertised ,,,

thank you for listening ,,,,,,,,,,,

Old 08-04-2010, 09:04 PM
jndr756
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok randytro, I'm probably gonna remove the matting around the speakers first to see how that sounds, if no improvement I'll remove all of the matting. I'll let u know how it turns out. Shawn, I bought everything on my bike from you and I know I can call yall for anything I need. I am in no way bashing dr vtwin, these guys helped me out a lot and I live on the opposite coast than they do. Just tryin to figure out the best way to get these speakers to sound the way they are suppose to.even thought about drilling a one inch hole to the left of speedo and to the right of tach and putting rubber grommets on them. I think this would allow the speakers to breath but I'm not gonna do it unless I get a POS inner fairing to try it on. I used to install stereo sysytems in automobiles and I know speakers need certain amount of air space and amps need air to stay cool. Amps get hot they don't produce the power they are rated for and sound aweful and don't last long. J&m reps, if your reading this please respond. I think you've got a good product just needs some tweakin to sound right, believe me they rock with outer fairing off

Old 08-04-2010, 11:34 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

jndr756 ,,,,,,

that is what is so odd to me ,,, is that the J&M speakers on MY 2010 Ultra LTD only sound their BEST with the fairing clamshell INSTALLED, not the other way around ,,,,,

I have NEVER heard one where the speakers sound their best with the fairing clamshell removed ,,,,,,

Old 08-04-2010, 11:36 PM
g money
Account Retired
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JMJOHN
r8rs4lf ,,,,,,,

you are correct ,,,, the J&M's with the amp are THE BEST you will find for your Harley ,,,,

I am not sure why this thread has turned into a bash J&M contest, but anyone who wants to hear the truth can go by Shawn's place (Dr V-twin) in Hollywood OR bring your bike by the J&M audio trailer that is on display right now at Black Hills HD in Rapid City SD, and hear the whole set-up for yourself ,,,,,

compare them side-by-side with your own bike, same CD whatever ,,,,,,,

J&M has worked very hard on this complete system and it does work as advertised ,,,

thank you for listening ,,,,,,,,,,,

I live in in Pittsburgh, Pa; Hollywood California is not just a hop, skip and jump away! Neither is Sturgis, South Dakota! Hows about either one of you skip on over to Pittsburgh and then we will compare! This is not a bash J&M contest! Your stuff ain't cheap$$$! When **** aint right, it aint right!
Gary D.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:22 AM
jndr756
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was thinking the same thing jmjohn, i do know that when i removed my outer fairing the other day that i could see where the speaker magnets had left pretty good impressions on the matting that sticks on the outer fairing. i know this should not interfere with the speaker functioning but theirs not much air space around the speaker. Another question i have is looking at the pictures in a couple motorcycle parts books of the j&m 7.25 speaker kits show two different speakers in the picture. One is the 7.25 fairing speaker and the other is the rear 5.25 upgrade speaker. there is a big difference in the size of the magnets on these two speakers. I know that if the 7.25's had a bigger magnet that i couldn't have got my fairing back together especially with the matting installed but i know when i opened the box when i went to install them the size of the magnet was the first thing i noticed. it's almost like theirs not one. i'm not on here to talk bad about j&m just trying to help troubleshoot the problem cause there are a lot of people on here that love the sound of their j&m system. maybe, like someone said their is a bad batch out there. i saved up for several months and work two sometimes three jobs and spent several hundred dollars more on this system than the others available for my bike and i just want it to sound that way. man, i'm hoping it's just a minor issue cause right now i'm feelin like a fool for spending that much money on a couple speakers and an amp. One last thing, buddy of mine was at my house helping me try and figure this out and he told me to call j&m and ask if the amp and hidden antenna was pulling more power than my stator could keep up with. i started my bike and turned up the radio and my lights did not dim so i dont know if this could happen or not, don't know much about stators but with the amp and hidden antenna hooked up the back of my cigarette lighter has got wires and coming off it everywhere.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:38 AM
TobyJ
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll start out by admitting that I haven't read every post in this thread, so maybe someone covered this. Have you checked the polarity on the speakers as well as the amp inputs? Having one side reversed will put it out of phase, and will kill bass like nothing else. As the frequencies go up, there is less cancellation, so you'd still hear the mids and highs pretty well.

Double check your connections, and if all look good, you might want to double check the speakers themselves. I've been doing mobile audio for a long time, and I've seen more than a couple speakers mis marked. The quick way to do this is to try swaping one of the speakers, and see if the bass gets better. It really doesn't matter if the speakers are hooked up correct or reverse polarity, as long as they are both the same. You could also try the same thing with the amp input, but this is much less likely to be mismarked. It probably goes without saying, but only make the changes with the system and bike turned completely off...do not try it with the stereo playing.

Toby

Old 08-05-2010, 09:50 PM
CC Rainman
Tourer

i just installed my ARC amp with the JM 7.25's. The sound is good but not getting the thumping bass, but I wasn't expecting it. These speaker are good but they in my opinion do need the amp. I would not pay for the JM amp because I think it's too much. I got a great deal on my ARC off the net. The speakers are expensive but I don't know what else is out there that will compare. Everyone has different opinions on the different systems. I guess it is really trial and error or wait till you hear the system in person before you buy. No need to bash JM, they are just selling a product. You should not buy something if you are not sure and don't go by other people's opinions. Opinions are all different as we know. Yes I have read all the threads, just giving my 2 cents.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:16 AM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by g money
I live in in Pittsburgh, Pa; Hollywood California is not just a hop, skip and jump away! Neither is Sturgis, South Dakota! Hows about either one of you skip on over to Pittsburgh and then we will compare!
Uh maybe because they aren't the ones having problems?

Have you contacted J&M about replacements? I'm curious if they would go along.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:44 AM
chevele72
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Audio is as good as your worst piece of equipment. I've never been a fan of using an amp without the RCA jacks, but that's my opinion.
I ended up with a Sony marine head unit, Arc mini 2 ch. and Arc 2 way 6.5 speakers. I saw the speakers and thought these won't last. When I got it all installed with the JM insulation on the outer fairing, Wow. I know it can sound better but sitting next to a buddies bike with stock head unit, Hog tunes amp and speakers along with the tweeter pod, mine sounds so much better, fuller, more bass. His does get loud and tinny, I can turn mine as loud as I want it and rarely get any distortion. I can turn mine up at speed at the same settings when sitting still and sounds fine. And it does shake the windshield. There are some future changes but not right now. I just thought I would throw this in there. FWIW

Quick Reply: Just installed J&M 7.25's and amp.... not sure what to think