Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed J&M 7.25's and amp.... not sure what to think

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 04:21 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by XXXRacing
All hype and no quality. Stick with with a company that is known for speakers. I have 5 1/4" MB Quarts (older german made ones) and I'll put them up against any of these made for harley speakers anyday. They flat out just sound good! I personally wouldn't by anything from J&M just based on his posts on this website...comes across as a douche bag.
I agree with you there are quite a lot of good mobile audio speaker options out there. When your putting $200> J&M wouldn't be on my list.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:21 PM
Harley_RN
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
Just sayin...the J&M's aren't that much more than Harley's $150.00 boom speakers. The J&M's may retail at a whole lot more, but that isn't how much guys are paying for them

Since you're just sayin..... the HD speakers retail for $150 but that isn't how much guys are paying for them. Most are using an online dealership and getting 20% off so they're only paying $120...many are getting free shipping as well. So exactly what are "the guys" paying for the speakers that retail for $279 ?

Last edited by Harley_RN; 07-29-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:40 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley_RN
Since you're just sayin..... the HD speakers retail for $150 but that isn't how much guys are paying for them. Most are using an online dealership and getting 20% off so they're only paying $120...many are getting free shipping as well. So exactly what are "they guys" paying for the speakers that retail for $279 ?
We offer them at: $219.95 shipped! For a speaker being 2 full inches bigger than stock and that offer a true 3 way design, that isn't bad at all considering how well they perform.

Shawn

Old 07-26-2010, 07:27 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

After having the ARC 125.2 mini ,ARC 6.5's and 5.25's for a while,I have come to the conclusion that these made for bike amps/speakers are better than stock but cant compete with the automotive equipment.
Now if it's true sound quality you want,your going to have to go to the automotive type equipment.
This means a larger amp in a saddle bag or tour pac,6x9 or something larger speakers in the bags along with fairing speakers.The bass is going to come from the bags.
My broinlaw has a system like this in his show bike and has won a lot of sound off's.
The sound is incredible but at a sacrafice.....lost storage in the bags,chance of killing the battery and is going to cost more.
Also It takes someone with knowledge to hook these systems up for optimum performance.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:36 PM
randytro
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Do not buy these speakers.

Last edited by randytro; 08-15-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:42 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

He posted in my softail thread on J&M too. My thread is on softails.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...r-my-ride.html

Drew

Last edited by DR. V-TWIN; 07-29-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:46 PM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I purchased a complete set of J&M 7.25, J&M 5.25, J&M amp, and hogtunes tweeter pod from Dr V Twin for new Limited. In the past, I was a hawg wired fan. The stuff I had in my last bike absolutely rocked. Good quality and very good sound. After numerous emails with Shawn at DR VTwin, they convinced me to go the J&M route, and save alot of money.

The end verdict? I am completely happy with the set up they recommended. A very good solution at a very reasonable price. Do I consider it as good as Hawg Wired, no. But do I think Hawg Wired was worth an extra $600, no. So overall, I am completely happy.

The speaker debates are to much like exhaust debates. Its all subjective. You just have to have realistic expecations to what you have to work with. JMHO

Old 07-29-2010, 04:15 PM
PhatTerry
Banned

Originally Posted by randytro
I need to revise my review of the J&M speakers and amp.
I bought them from Phat Performance for about $550.

They get loud, but any amp should do that. When I first installed them I played CDs, they were clear and crisp, sounded good. Lately I have tried the radio, it sounds like crap, I can't stand it. There is no clarity, everything is mumbled, garbled, just plain sounds crappy. I have a $500 dollar radio that only plays CDs, i'm not happy with that.

I recommend DO NOT BUY THESE SPEAKERS. They are not worth the money. They have no clarity.
Sorry to hear you are not happy with them. It seems you might be blamming the wrong component though. If you are happy with CD, it's seems they are doing their job? Radio is well known to be a poor quality source, it's not high fidelity. You only notice this because the speakers are good. If they weren't, you'd never notice it.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:10 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Crap in - Crap out.
Radio and mp3s will never sound as good as a CD.

The fairing with speaker is just a glorified boom box. Except it doesn't have the venting for bass. If you spend too much on audio for just the fairing your just dumb. Spend a moderate amount so you can hear it. An amp and a decent set of speakers is it. Nothing sounds "good" at 80 with pipes, your friend's pipes, cars around you and wind. Lots of things sound "good" sitting still but not moving. If you really want good sound you are going to have to spend a chunk of money and lose bag space and until you get pretty extreme you won't hear that at 80 anyway. I have heard the JMs with an amp next to my bike and I and the owner couldn't tell the difference except he thought mine had more bass. I am not saying the arc system is great, just that that was the result of the comparison. I would not buy anything until I listened to some systems. Thats how I decided on what I have. When Firecap did a group buy, it was a great deal.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:25 PM
randytro
Banned

Last edited by randytro; 08-15-2011 at 04:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Just installed J&M 7.25's and amp.... not sure what to think