Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed J&M 7.25's and amp.... not sure what to think

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 10:45 AM
nedster
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
How much is a whole lot less? Aren't the boom speakers $150.00 and a stock 5.25" size?

Just sayin...the J&M's aren't that much more than Harley's $150.00 boom speakers. The J&M's may retail at a whole lot more, but that isn't how much guys are paying for them.

Again, just sayin...

I challenge anyone in our local area that has the Harley boom audio speakers to bring their bike down to our shop and they can put their bike next to mine and we can do a sound off for sound level and quality of sound and I can personally guarantee that my bike will blow the boom audio speakers away. I have heard the boom audio speakers in person vs. my J&M setup. If the Harley boom speakers sound better than my J&M setup, I will give the owner of the Harley boom audio speakers a FREE Dr. V-Twin t-shirt and pay them in CASH whatever they paid for their Harley boom speakers. Anyone up for the challenge?

Shawn

Sound is a matter of opinion and is subjective, so that challenge is worthless. As I stated before, just because it is loud doesn't mean its good.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:51 AM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If the Harley boom speakers sound better than my J&M setup, I will give the owner of the Harley boom audio speakers a FREE Dr. V-Twin t-shirt and pay them in CASH whatever they paid for their Harley boom speakers. Anyone up for the challenge?

Shawn
And there you have it, boys.

The good folks at DR. V-TWIN sold me my J&M amp for my RG and I purchased my 7.25" J&M speakers locally.
It's not the "be all to end all" regarding motorcycle stereo's.
I could build a better system, but NOT anywhere near the amount I have in this stereo.
I wanted to "pimp" my RG out on a budget and I think I accomplished the tunes aspect of it with the J&M setup.

I'm pleased with my setup...very pleased.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:58 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by nedster
Sound is a matter of opinion and is subjective, so that challenge is worthless. As I stated before, just because it is loud doesn't mean its good.
I feel the quality of the sound on the J&M 7.25" speakers are far superior to the Harley boom speakers. My challenge still stands and includes volume level as well as sound quality at that level. Everyone I do sound demos for is amazed at the quality, clarity, richness and all characteristics of sound at full volume. Everyone wants them as soon as they hear what their bike would sound like.

Bottom line is the J&M 7.25" speakers are far superior to other speaker brands I have personally tested and that includes the slightly cheaper Harley boom 5.25" speakers. Additionally, please note that the J&M 7.25" speakers are a 3 way speaker with mid and high tweeters built into the grille. Most other 5.25" factory replacement speakers are a one way speaker with a 5.25" main speaker that may or may not have a center built in tiny tweeter.

If anyone doesn't personally believe me, that's fine, but please read this: http://www.johnscrip.com/html/blog_f...25speakers.php

Shawn

Last edited by DR. V-TWIN; 07-25-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:03 AM
XXXRacing
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All hype and no quality. Stick with with a company that is known for speakers. I have 5 1/4" MB Quarts (older german made ones) and I'll put them up against any of these made for harley speakers anyday. They flat out just sound good! I personally wouldn't by anything from J&M just based on his posts on this website...comes across as a douche bag.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:04 AM
nedster
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I feel the quality of the sound on the J&M 7.25" speakers are far superior to the Harley boom speakers. My challenge still stands and includes volume level as well as sound quality at that level. Everyone I do sound demos for is amazed at the quality, clarity, richness and all characteristics of sound at full volume. Everyone wants them as soon as they hear what their bike would sound like.

Bottom line is the J&M 7.25" speakers are far superior to other speaker brands I have personally tested and that includes the slightly cheaper Harley boom 5.25" speakers. Additionally, please note that the J&M 7.25" speakers are a 3 way speaker with mid and high tweeters built into the grille. Most other 5.25" factory replacement speakers are a one way speaker with a 5.25" main speaker that may or may not have a center built in tiny tweeter.

Shawn

Keyword in your response "PERSONALLY TESTED" your opinion and you are entitled too it, as everyone else is entitled to theirs.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:09 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by nedster
Keyword in your response "PERSONALLY TESTED" your opinion and you are entitled too it, as everyone else is entitled to theirs.
Very true. I agree.

Were you able to read John Scrip's evaluation? Independently tested and with professional sound equipment. Here's the link again: http://www.johnscrip.com/html/blog_f...25speakers.php

Shawn

Last edited by DR. V-TWIN; 07-25-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:10 AM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

I have a 6 speaker Hogtunes setup and I find that the quality of the music has much more to do with the final sound quality than the speakers/amp do. Some of the tunes on my iPod just sound crappy and others sound great.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:25 AM
streetglide44
Road Captain

For those looking for more base from their front speakers. By adding foam baffles to the speakers all your sound will come forward, with less loss to your fairing. The base and mids will improve greatly. I currently run orion 6.5 xtrs in front with passive cross overs (no low pass, mids and highs only) 6x9 orion xtrs in saddlebags pushed by rockford fosgate 300x2 amp. Total sound quality excellent at 80 mph.
I had the front speakers first by adding the baffles I was very pleased with difference in sound quality. I too felt like most bass was lost in fairing. Baffles are about 20.00
Just my $.02

Old 07-25-2010, 11:32 AM
PhatTerry
Banned

Originally Posted by IzzoQuazzo
I have a 6 speaker Hogtunes setup and I find that the quality of the music has much more to do with the final sound quality than the speakers/amp do. Some of the tunes on my iPod just sound crappy and others sound great.
Good point, I just posted this in another thread...

Make sure you are not using low quality 128KB/s MP3 recordings. Like any quality audio setup, the better it is, the more it shows the short comings of the source recordings. This is true of all higher end audio equipment.

Some suggestions if this is the case... If you are using low grade MP3 recordings, try using 196KB or higher quality level. It makes a HUGE difference. Make sure your recordings are from the source CD, not an MP3 made from an MP3 and so on. Don't use those free MP3 sites or programs since most of the songs on those are very poor quality. Even the 196KB + ones are just up converted poor quality 128KB versions. Better yet, try a store bought CD. Sirius and XM are also poor quality sources, I've heard some say XM is less than 64KB/s.

On topic of the post, no speaker is going to get serious bass that fits into the fairing speakers cutouts.

Last edited by PhatTerry; 07-25-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Cosmic Charlie
Elite HDF Member
Received 103 Likes on 58 Posts

Quote> Better yet, try a store bought CD.

right on with that , my stock stereo sounds OK at best with real CD's and really bites with the radio & or MP3's ...

Quick Reply: Just installed J&M 7.25's and amp.... not sure what to think