Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed J&M 7.25's and amp.... not sure what to think

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 03:56 PM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
It's a freaking Harley, so it's never going to have phenomenal sound, but I'm surprised that there's such consistent criticism of these speakers...... especially at the price J&M's getting.
That's what I say. If you want more bass put some 8" or 10" woofers in your bags along with a bigger amp. Then your touring bike becomes useless unless you have a TP.

As for the original poster, you make it sound like your an audio buff. So my question is, why would you go with these speakers if you know a thing or two about audio? Doesn't seem so in this case.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:24 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by r8rs4lf
So my question is, why would you go with these speakers if you know a thing or two about audio? Doesn't seem so in this case.

Not sure what you mean by this?.....

There aren't many options out there really, I can think of about 6 different companies in total that make an all weather speaker designed for bikes. I'm not about to try jamming JLw7's into my fairing haha. I know a lot about cars but nothing about ferraris................. whats your angle here

Old 07-24-2010, 07:00 PM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Bradley Jones
Not sure what you mean by this?.....

There aren't many options out there really, I can think of about 6 different companies in total that make an all weather speaker designed for bikes. I'm not about to try jamming JLw7's into my fairing haha. I know a lot about cars but nothing about ferraris................. whats your angle here
No angle, forget it............

All I'm saying is it seems like your expectations are a little high for what you want out of two fairing speakers. If you think you can get another combo to sound better, I would love to hear it although over the internet, it's impossible to get the full sound.

The only way to get better sound IMO would be to loose bag space. Maybe try those speaker lids? Maybe an aftermarket inner fairing with four 6X9's? There are ways to achieve better sound, but if your looking to keep everything under the fairing, IMO this is the way to go.

Anyways, good luck with your search.

Last edited by r8rs4lf; 07-24-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:12 PM
PhatTerry
Banned

Any bike speaker surely won't have a ton of bass. It's very hard to get bottom end frequencies from any small speaker without ported boxes designed specifically to do that or large enclosures.

The J&M's are clearly way better than stock but still not near sub woofer levels. An interesting fact, if you stand back behind the bike, you will hear better bass. Sitting so close to the speakers hurts bass sound waves, even upper bass 100hz frequency is about 11 feet long. Wish it was different as well but I understand the limitations.

Last edited by PhatTerry; 07-24-2010 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:26 PM
g money
Account Retired
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nedster
I hate to say it but that is the #1 complaint on J&M's, very tinny sounding and no bass. In some peoples opinion that just because something is louder than stock it sounds great. Thats why they made those fairing diapers to get some bass out of them. But loud doesnt mean it sounds good.
EXACTY! My 7.25's sound loud but the quality of sound is nowhere to be found. It sounds like I'm listening to music through a cheap telephone. I hate em!
Gary D.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:40 AM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just installed my J&M 7.25's yesterday (Thanks Drew!).

They are WAAAAY better than the stock speakers... period.

we went on a run last night (Jersey Devil Moonlight run) and the speakers performed exactly as I expected.
they were loud, but very clear.
I couldn't run the stock speakers that loud without them sounding washed out and blairing.
Bass is there, you're not going to get low bass that you can feel out of a speaker setup like this, and I think that's what many of you that are complaining are looking for...I knew that going in.
I CAN hear bass, but it's not what most people are accustomed to hearing.

I'm very happy with these speakers and, for me, they are exactly what I was looking for.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:53 AM
Harley_RN
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by g money
EXACTY! My 7.25's sound loud but the quality of sound is nowhere to be found. It sounds like I'm listening to music through a cheap telephone. I hate em!
Gary D.
Now I'm really glad I didn't spend all that money on these speakers. Went with the Harley Boom audio speakers. Satisfied and spent a whole lot less.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:07 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradley Jones
Maybe a better reply on my end would be.......

I'd like NOTICEABLE bass. I'm not looking to rattle cars next to me like those god awful trash can exhaust civics haha.
While the 7.25" speaker provide a great improvement in bass, you are never going to get windshield vibrating bass from a fairing installed speaker. I get a good amount of bass out of the setup and any more bass would be annoying as it would rattle the entire fairing, bars and front end.

I have the 7.25" J&M speakers and J&M amp and I can't ask for better, clearer or louder sound from the bike at the price point. Often times, I can't even run them at full volume and I always wear a full face.

I always always always test the 7.25" speakers and amp's potential by throwing in a studio produced store bought CD. You can hear the difference between low quality MP3s, radio waves and a high quality produced CD. iPod and radio sound quality is always inferior. Throw in a studio CD and then try them out. You will find the sound quality to be much better.

Shawn

Old 07-25-2010, 10:20 AM
SDVmnt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the 6.5" Hertz speakers. While not J&M's i'm sure sound is very similar. Bass is great in the driveway or not running, once going down the highway you just aren't going to get bass. The fairing isn't a closed system, and I accept that.

I may put an amp in it if I get bored at a later date, but honestly I can hear it going 85 down the interstate now. Adding an amp for more bass isn't going to change a thing. May make it even louder, guess I'm just being a realist.

Hertz aren't cheap either.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:31 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley_RN
Now I'm really glad I didn't spend all that money on these speakers. Went with the Harley Boom audio speakers. Satisfied and spent a whole lot less.
How much is a whole lot less? Aren't the boom speakers $150.00 and a stock 5.25" size?

Just sayin...the J&M's aren't that much more than Harley's $150.00 boom speakers. The J&M's may retail at a whole lot more, but that isn't how much guys are paying for them.

Again, just sayin...

I challenge anyone in our local area that has the Harley boom audio speakers to bring their bike down to our shop and they can put their bike next to mine and we can do a sound off for sound level and quality of sound and I can personally guarantee that my bike will blow the boom audio speakers away. I have heard the boom audio speakers in person vs. my J&M setup. If the Harley boom speakers sound better than my J&M setup, I will give the owner of the Harley boom audio speakers a FREE Dr. V-Twin t-shirt and pay them in CASH whatever they paid for their Harley boom speakers. Anyone up for the challenge?

Shawn

Last edited by DR. V-TWIN; 07-25-2010 at 10:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Just installed J&M 7.25's and amp.... not sure what to think