Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed XIED's now I get popping

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010 | 07:34 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member

Popping on decel does not always mean lean could be slightly too rich when backing down and unburned fuel crackles through the exhaust I had XIED's on my 08 EGS and still had popping on decel but a Dyno proved they were doing their job on the AFR but still went with a PCIII and had far better results ..

Old 07-29-2010 | 09:11 AM
wlibert
Road Captain

I had decel popping on my new '10 Ultra Classic. I a long steep down hill ride exiting my neighborhood and I coast down in 3rd and hear popping.

I added FL-ViED's about 500 miles ago and the bike does the same thing going down that hill. That said, no complaints about the FL-ViED's at all because the bike runs a hell of a lot cooler and I know for sure it's not running lean.

I've had multiple high performance cars and it seems to me that the more free flowing the exhaust the more decel popping I get. My first Corvette which was a stock LS1, had a minor amount as did my stock '05 GTO. After significant exhaust mod's on the GTO as well as a supercharger and significant tuning I had decel popping the closer to stoich (14.7:1) the car ran in closed loop if I remember correctly. My '09 LS3 Vette had the factory exhaust cut outs in the rear of the exhaust and when they were open, which made the exhaust bypass the mufflers, I had decel popping. All in all, the tuning was correct on all the cars and the popping was still there. I learned to accept it as part of free flowing high performance exhaust be it factory or aftermarket.

Just my .02

I'll keep the FL-ViED's on my bike because I am won't be making any performance mod's to it and they really do allow the motor to run cooler.

Old 07-29-2010 | 10:34 AM
TickTock
Club Member

Originally Posted by vbouncer
I have an 08SG with VH True Dual setup, Stage 1, stock AC. No other mods yet. I got some XIED's from a forum member here and after install the bike did run cooler, but I get popping on decel. Is it Dyno tune time? Is there something else I can do?

Looking for some guidance from the experts on here.

TIA

Vbouncer
For what it's worth, you no longer have a touring exhaust on your bike. What I mean by this is that if you were to look at the downloads available for the TTS, SERT or SESPT then you will see two (for our discussion purposes) distinct categories. One for Touring and one for Dual setups. Typically folks take the touring calibrations and tune them to their duals and this works fine for most. However the more correct calibration would be the one for duals (which is usually categorized under dynas and softails) and tune it.

So this is a long winded way to say that your base map is flawed for your setup. You will not get it right until you find an appropriate tuning device.

Old 07-29-2010 | 11:06 AM
SG 1
Road Warrior

I agree the added air intake could be the problem if you can't find a leak anywhere in the exhaust system. A simple test would be to put the A/C back to stock and see if you still have decel pop.

Old 07-29-2010 | 04:17 PM
vbouncer
|
Cruiser

Ok..Here's where I am at so far..

I contacted NightRider and spoke to Stephen, really cool guy, knows his stuff and is a wealth of knowledge. We spoke about my issue of decel popping and he explained to me what all of you have been saying that its the AFR and that the popping is not something that happens all the time, but it can. He does state that there is no 100% guarantee that it will not pop on decel. Its a hit an miss with some bikes and the setups. I did tell him that I have the True Dual setup with a Stg 1. He said that setup is pretty common and that he does not know why the popping is happening.

What Stephen is doing is sending me out a set of XIED X14 to try out and see if that will work my setup. He did this even tho I did not get the XIED's from him in the first place and got them from a forum member. NOW that is customer service and a way to stand behind your product. WTG NightRider!!! Will try that and see if it make the popping go away.

For what it's worth, you no longer have a touring exhaust on your bike. What I mean by this is that if you were to look at the downloads available for the TTS, SERT or SESPT then you will see two (for our discussion purposes) distinct categories. One for Touring and one for Dual setups. Typically folks take the touring calibrations and tune them to their duals and this works fine for most. However the more correct calibration would be the one for duals (which is usually categorized under dynas and softails) and tune it.

So this is a long winded way to say that your base map is flawed for your setup. You will not get it right until you find an appropriate tuning device.
TickTock, what would you recommend as an appropiate tuning device: PC-V, SEST, SERT, etc.? Or should I go to dealer and see if they have a newer/better download for my setup?

I agree the added air intake could be the problem if you can't find a leak anywhere in the exhaust system. A simple test would be to put the A/C back to stock and see if you still have decel pop.
I do not have the stock AC anymore so I can't do this unfortunately.

have you tried unplugging the XIED's and plugging the 02 sensor wires back like they were stock? if it wasn't popping before the XIED's then you may find that's the problem.
I did unplug the Xied's and the popping did go away, but the heat returned...lol.

I will tell you that with the XIED's plug in the bike did run cooler. Maybe the popping is the trade off?

Thanks,

V

Old 07-29-2010 | 05:34 PM
TickTock
Club Member

This is strictly my opinion but based on my experience with a Power Commander and a SERT. I would get the TTS from mastertune (www.mastertune.net) ask them which calibration to use for your setup and then tune it using your laptop. Your configuration is not so far out that you couldn't find a good starting calibration and tune it easily yourself.

Now, having said all that about TTS - the Power Commander is a fine product and would also work well for your current configuration. FuelMoto has a great reputation and may have maps that match your configuration as well. I just prefer the direct update to the ECM with tools such as the TTS.

The thing to know about the dealer download is that it simply is something they have created for a particular ac/pipe or stage setup. Once you vary from harley parts it will not be even close to what you are looking for. IMHO, I would never waste my money on that; rather I would put it towards a reusable tuning device.

Finally, popping is not something you have to live with because it is a Harley. It can be tuned away 99% if you find something that is flexible enough to tune with.

Last edited by TickTock; 07-29-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-29-2010 | 06:24 PM
Harley_RN
Road Captain

Originally Posted by vbouncer

What Stephen is doing is sending me out a set of XIED X14 to try out and see if that will work my setup. He did this even tho I did not get the XIED's from him in the first place and got them from a forum member. NOW that is customer service and a way to stand behind your product. WTG NightRider!!!

Cool... I could tell when I ordered both of my sets that those guys were really nice. I'm not surprised that they took care of you. Glad that you took the advice and called them up to talk to them.