Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed XIED's now I get popping

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010 | 08:32 AM
Harley_RN
Road Captain

Originally Posted by vbouncer
Thanks for all the advice, I checked the clamps and they are all tight.

What I mean by stock AC is that I do not have a big sucker or anything like that I am using the stock football cover with the back cover plate off. I have been running the XIED's for about 500 miles and I just checked the plugs and they seem fine there is no obvious signs of soot or anything on them. Should I be looking for something else on the plugs? I agree with "Ronp42" if they are bad then I will deal with it and either get a PCV and the proper map for my setup but to unload the XIED's off to some one else is just not right. Its bad karma!!

Since installing the XIED's I have not gotten any codes and no check engine lights just the popping on decel. Seems to happen more after riding for a while and the engine is warmed up.
This is probably going to cause some debate, but even though the nut on your clamps is tight, that doesn't mean the clamp itself is seated. Did you reuse your clamps ? There is always a BIG debate on reuse of clamps. The muffler clamps are a one time only use. They are a crimp style clamp and once you put tension on them and take them off you can't get that same tesion and crimp on the clamp. You might get the nut tight, but the band on the clamp won't seat like a new one. You can do a forum search and read all about the people that changed out their clamps and popping went away.... With that said, the guys at XIED are great to work with. I've bought 2 sets now from them and they are willing to work with you. Call them up and see what they say. As others have mentioned, we're using them with no problems. I have a set of the XIED's on my Dyna Fat Bob and for the Ultra Classic Touring I have the FL-XIED's... Are you sure that the set you have is correct for your bike ? They make several styles. Anyway, they are a good product and we dont' see many members having problems with them.. at least I haven't too many threads where someone is having poppiing upon decel.

Good Luck

Old 07-24-2010 | 08:50 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by vbouncer
I have an 08SG with VH True Dual setup, Stage 1, stock AC. No other mods yet. I got some XIED's from a forum member here and after install the bike did run cooler, but I get popping on decel. Is it Dyno tune time? Is there something else I can do?

Looking for some guidance from the experts on here.

TIA

Vbouncer
Decel popping is a LEAN condition, not rich. Was there no popping before the xied's and it started after install? That would be opposite of my experience. I had stg 1, slip-ons and decel pop; added xied's and the decel popping almost disappeared except for times of hard decel.

Were you running the true duals, Stg 1 for awhile and then added xied's or were these mods made at same time? I believe xied's will work with moderate changes to air/exhaust but probably not with the open air intake and true duals. IMHO you will need at minimum a FuelPak, PCV or other type of tuner.

When I ditched the stock pipes and installed V&H true duals, I took off the xied's at the same time and added a canned map PCV from Fuel Moto which runs great. I was (am) convinced that xied's work but hit their limit once the stock headers come off.

Old 07-24-2010 | 10:20 AM
Fewe
Cruiser

I've been running XiEDs on my '08 Ultra for 2+ years with no problems. I have not upgraded the intake but have V&H duals with Monster Ovals with no decel popping since installing the duals.

There was a thread here about decel popping with a PC-V and the solution was to remove fuel at 0% throttle position, so I don't think being too lean is the problem. If the OP is running after market open baffle slip-ons that may be a source of the problem as well. http://www.Nightrider.com claims that the XiEDs will work with a full Stage 1 but I haven't tested that theory yet.

As for the XiEDs being better than a PC-V, TTS, SERT, etc., I don't think anyone has ever made that claim. The XiEDs serve a purpose for those that don't want to spend the money for a programmer and dyno time for basic upgrades, but can't replace a tuner for those looking for the ability to fine tune AFR and fueling, or for engine upgrades and/or builds.

When I finally get around to doing a cam swap and intake change I will go with a PC-V from Fuelmoto, but in the meantime the XiEDs work well for richening the A/F to cool the bike and make it run much better.

Old 07-24-2010 | 10:29 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired

Originally Posted by Fewe
I've been running XiEDs on my '08 Ultra for 2+ years with no problems. I have not upgraded the intake but have V&H duals with Monster Ovals with no decel popping since installing the duals.

There was a thread here about decel popping with a PC-V and the solution was to remove fuel at 0% throttle position, so I don't think being too lean is the problem. If the OP is running after market open baffle slip-ons that may be a source of the problem as well. http://www.Nightrider.com claims that the XiEDs will work with a full Stage 1 but I haven't tested that theory yet.

As for the XiEDs being better than a PC-V, TTS, SERT, etc., I don't think anyone has ever made that claim. The XiEDs serve a purpose for those that don't want to spend the money for a programmer and dyno time for basic upgrades, but can't replace a tuner for those looking for the ability to fine tune AFR and fueling, or for engine upgrades and/or builds.

When I finally get around to doing a cam swap and intake change I will go with a PC-V from Fuelmoto, but in the meantime the XiEDs work well for richening the A/F to cool the bike and make it run much better.
I'm running them with full Stage 1 and Jackpot slipons. no problems what so ever. I do believe they have their limit, But for me they work great because I'm not going any farther than Stage 1 A/F and slipons.

Old 07-24-2010 | 10:41 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member

I should have clarified........decel popping I think is caused by too much airflow. Exhaust only or intake only changes are probably OK and xied's should work well. (exhaust meaning full true duals, slip-ons only excepted) Open the the air intake AND the exhaust then the motor needs more fuel then xied (IMO) can provide. Exhaust/manifold leaks can be a source of the increased air also as noted in previous replies.

xied's, PCV's, ect are cooling our motors by enriching the fuel mixture in order to match the a) increased air flow b) keep pipes cooler. Decel pop (again, from what I have learned over the years tweaking carb bikes) is unspent gas in a HOT exhaust pipe. It is a fine line trying to get mix rich enough to cool motor/exhaust without dumping too much fuel in to soot the engine and throw unburnt gas out the pipe.

Last edited by IndyClassic; 07-24-2010 at 10:43 AM. Reason: definition of "exhaust" in this case
Old 07-24-2010 | 06:35 PM
vbouncer
|
Cruiser

WOW!!...lots of advise and information on here..gotta love the forums...

Here is what I have done so far..removed plugs to check them and they look good, as for the clamps I had the VH True Duals with classic slip ons installed all at the same time and went back and rechecked all the clamps and they seem tight there doesn't seem to be any play in them and they do not look worn.

As for the decel popping that only happened after installing the XIED's. Prior to that no decel popping. I have a stage 1 and dealer download did all that when I got the TD's. Was just looking for a way to get the bike to run a little cooler here. Riding season is upon us and when its 95+ out it seems like its 195+...lol on the bike. I did contact Nightrider and gave them the part # of the XIED's that I am buying and they verified that these are the correct ones for an 08SG.

If the best course of action at this point is to get a PCV and a god tune then I will look into that. I will also contact XIED and see if they offer any sort of warranty or exchange maybe I do have a defective set?

Will let you know what happens, I will contact nightrider on monday.

Thanks for all the help and advice you guys are great!!

Vbouncer

Old 07-24-2010 | 07:39 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired

When I installed the Jackpot's on my 2010 RK, I didn't buy new clamps, but I did coat the threads and clamping surface with never-sieze. might try that and see if it'll make a difference. Let us know when you get it fixed and what it takes, I'm very interested myself. Thanks, Ride safe!!!

Old 07-25-2010 | 09:59 AM
Harley_RN
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Ronp42
I'm running them with full Stage 1 and Jackpot slipons. no problems what so ever. I do believe they have their limit, But for me they work great because I'm not going any farther than Stage 1 A/F and slipons.
Totally agree with you. I don't get the big deal from everyone about putting in a tuner when all you're doing is putting on a free flow air cleaner and slip on mufflers....all you need to do is fatten up the AFR which is what the XIED's do. As with you, if I go any farther than stage 1, I'll put a tuner in but all of these guys that are spending the money on a tuner for a simple stage 1 are wasting their money.

Last edited by Harley_RN; 07-25-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-25-2010 | 10:43 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harley_RN
Totally agree with you. I don't get the big deal from everyone about putting in a tuner when all you're doing is putting on a free flow air cleaner and slip on mufflers....all you need to do is fatten up the AFR which is what the XIED's do. As with you, if I go any farther than stage 1, I'll put a tuner in but all of these guys that are spending the money on a tuner for a simple stage 1 are wasting their money.
I agree RN and I ran the Stage 1, slip-ons, xied's for about a year and a half with success. OP however has Stage 1, slip-ons and True Duals. He has gone beyond A/C and slip-ons.

2 years ago there were numerous threads arguing xied's value. I fall on the side that they do work and work well with Stg1 and slip-ons. I sold my set on here months ago (not to OP) and if I thought they were a problem or didn't work then I would have thrown them in the trash can. I sold them because I think they do work with certain combination's. Will be very interested to see if Nightrider thinks they work with the set-up OP has installed.

OP....good luck with your problem search, I think calling Nightrider is the way to go. That decel popping started after install makes no sense to me. They normally have the opposite and positive effect.

Old 07-25-2010 | 07:29 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member

have you tried unplugging the XIED's and plugging the 02 sensor wires back like they were stock? if it wasn't popping before the XIED's then you may find that's the problem.

Quick Reply: Installed XIED's now I get popping