Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed XIED's now I get popping

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010 | 08:48 PM
vbouncer
|
Cruiser
Default Installed XIED's now I get popping

I have an 08SG with VH True Dual setup, Stage 1, stock AC. No other mods yet. I got some XIED's from a forum member here and after install the bike did run cooler, but I get popping on decel. Is it Dyno tune time? Is there something else I can do?

Looking for some guidance from the experts on here.

TIA

Vbouncer

Old 07-23-2010 | 09:12 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired

I don't know what year or model your bike is. I ran Xied's on my 08 UC and now running FL-Xied's on both my 2010 RK and my wifes 2010 SG Trike. I get a little popping sometime on decel. I ask Steve Mullen about it at niterider and he said no problem. Most bikes do it running any kind of AFR enrichment. I bought mine from him. His business is S&P Mullen ent. in Florida. Good guy to deal with. My bikes run great with them.

Old 07-23-2010 | 09:20 PM
Fewe
Cruiser

I would start with checking your exhaust clamps. With the XiEDs your bike is running richer now, 13.8:1 vs. 14.7:1, which can lead to popping on decel. I had decel popping with XiEDs, Monster Ovals, and stock head-pipes. When I installed the Vance duals I cranked the exhaust clamps and haven't had any popping. I changed the exhaust gaskets but am still reusing the stock clamps. Others have had luck with copper permatex to seal the slip-ons and stop popping.

Old 07-23-2010 | 09:45 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired

Wouldn't an exhaust leak with richer fuel mixture cause the check engine light to come on? Check your plugs and see how they look after running the Xied's for awhile. Mine looked good!

Old 07-23-2010 | 09:56 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Default dyno?

It could be an exhaust leak, but if it's not, I don't think a dyno would do you any good.
XIEDs are a very rough way to make the bike cooler. Before I invested in a dyno, I'd invest in a PCV and a canned map. Then do what someone did to you and pawn the XIEDS off on someone else.

Old 07-23-2010 | 10:01 PM
Harley_RN
Road Captain

I've got them on my fat bob and ultra.....I don't have any popping. both bikes run great. maybe you got sold a defective set.

Old 07-23-2010 | 10:03 PM
Harley_RN
Road Captain

also......how can you have stage one with the stock air cleaner ? how come you don't have the se backing plate with the duals ? just sayin

Old 07-23-2010 | 10:27 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired

Originally Posted by rkoivisto
It could be an exhaust leak, but if it's not, I don't think a dyno would do you any good.
XIEDs are a very rough way to make the bike cooler. Before I invested in a dyno, I'd invest in a PCV and a canned map. Then do what someone did to you and pawn the XIEDS off on someone else.
If the Xied's are not good why are so many people running them with good success? Plus if they are no good why would you want to pond them off on someone else? IMO the worst thing to do is bypass a perfectly good ECM, do away with o2 sensors and use a canned map if all you want to do is run an otherwise stock bike a little richer? JMO

Old 07-24-2010 | 03:29 AM
vbouncer
|
Cruiser

Thanks for all the advice, I checked the clamps and they are all tight.

What I mean by stock AC is that I do not have a big sucker or anything like that I am using the stock football cover with the back cover plate off. I have been running the XIED's for about 500 miles and I just checked the plugs and they seem fine there is no obvious signs of soot or anything on them. Should I be looking for something else on the plugs? I agree with "Ronp42" if they are bad then I will deal with it and either get a PCV and the proper map for my setup but to unload the XIED's off to some one else is just not right. Its bad karma!!

Since installing the XIED's I have not gotten any codes and no check engine lights just the popping on decel. Seems to happen more after riding for a while and the engine is warmed up.

Old 07-24-2010 | 06:07 AM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Default Xieds

Originally Posted by Ronp42
If the Xied's are not good why are so many people running them with good success? Plus if they are no good why would you want to pond them off on someone else? IMO the worst thing to do is bypass a perfectly good ECM, do away with o2 sensors and use a canned map if all you want to do is run an otherwise stock bike a little richer? JMO
I didn't mean to suggest they are "bad". Just to suggest if you have a problem with the AFR with them on, you don't have a lot of options. They are a very course adjustment and if it doesn't work you can't do much else.

I have never used them, but if I understand them right, I don't see how it can be so much better to fool a perfectly good ECM with bad data then it is to piggy back an ECM.

Last edited by rkoivisto; 07-24-2010 at 06:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Installed XIED's now I get popping