Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washing my bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 07:00 AM
skdvr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Washing my bike

I have read through a bunch of the threads about washing the bikes and have decided that I am going to give the lemon pledge a try. My question is what to do first. Should I wash the bike with soap and water first dry it and then finish up with the pledge, or can the pledge be used from the start. Right now my bike is just a little dusty, I am leaving for a week starting tomorrow (not with the bike unfortunately) so I was going to clean her up when I got back.

I guess another question about the seat and saddlebags. Should I use the pledge on that too? will that make my seat slippery? I used some leather cleaner/polish on one of my sport bikes just once. Scared the hell out of me because I was having to physically keep my self on the seat under heavy gas. Is there another product that will work good on the seat to keep it conditioned but not make it slippery?

Thanks
Phil

Old 07-23-2010, 07:11 AM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

On a leather seat I will use mink oil or boot oil. Haven't used lemon pledge but would think that a clean surface would be better to rub any polish into than a dirty one.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:59 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Wash it first then blow dry (a 1/2 mile or longer ride should do the trick).
Wipe down the seat with the same rag you use to polish the rest.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:18 AM
cdculbertson
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just cleaned the bags on my RK Custom with some ArmorAll leather cleaning wipes that I picked up at Wally World, and my bags look great! I didn't bother washing them first, and the wipes not only cleaned them, but left them looking almost brand new. I would not, however, use them on the seat as they will make it slick. I've heard good things about Doc Bailey's Leather Clear for seats. From what I have heard, you can use it on seats with custom stitching as well, so I will be ordering some for my new seat.

As to the Lemon Pledge, I just spray it on the bike and wipe off with microfiber cloth.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:18 AM
bellgnte
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can spray it off real quick but I do mine when it is lightly dusty. It doesn't sound right but I don't have any swirls or scratches. I mean don't rub dirt around on your paint. Use a microfiber towel and wipe on the pledge. Do about 1/4 of the bike and quickly wipe over that same 1/4 with a dry microfiber towel. This buffs out some of the oily residue. I do this all the time and the bike looks GREAT!

Old 07-23-2010, 09:06 AM
iambill
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started useing Pledge last year, now I always pledge my bike.
I wash then dry, then Pledge.
However I also pledge between washes. Go for a ride then come back and give it a quick wipe then micro fiber to buff. Bugs wipe off with very little effort.

The first time I tried Pledge, I sprayed it on the bike. BIG mistake. It took forever to get all the spots off. That stuff goes everywhere!
I spray on a cotton cloth and wipe.
And I use it on everything except tires and seat. Once you give it a try you will know why

P.S. they also make pledge wipes. Not bad for taking on trips, but i prefer the can

Old 07-23-2010, 09:09 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

So does Pledge take off any wax on the bike. I just used Turtle Wax Ice on the bike (love it) If I Pledge inbetween washings will it kill the wax job?