Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chrome it out 09 flhx

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 08:16 PM
rizzini
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chrome it out 09 flhx

Looking to totally chrome out a 09 street glide! who has done it should i have the dealer do it or is it a do it yourselfer? what will it run me just looking for ballbark, dealer is working up a number for me, i'm sure it will be economical!!!!!!

Old 07-22-2010, 08:20 PM
KutenFLHX
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Why pay someone else to add chrome when you can do it yourself. All you need are some basic tools (torx, sockets, allen wrenches, etc) and a service manual would help for some things. Save the cost of paying someone else to do it for you and buy more chrome.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:29 PM
BDHABT
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rizzini
Looking to totally chrome out a 09 street glide! who has done it should i have the dealer do it or is it a do it yourselfer? what will it run me just looking for ballbark, dealer is working up a number for me, i'm sure it will be economical!!!!!!
Wait till winter,then take off all the parts you want done,and send them to Browns Plating in Kentucky.Their chrome is much nicer than Harleys chrome;thicker also.

You wont have to take a loan out either,lol.

They did my hand controls and calipers on my Softail.Top notch.

Dont remember the price on the hand controls,but the calipers cost me $400 and change.This was going thru an indy bike shop.The shop split the calipers,sent them to Browns,then when they were done,put the calipers back together.The $400 was total for chroming both calipers,shipping,and labor.Check out what HD gets for chrome calipers.

This was a few winters ago,but prices shouldnt have gone up that much.

Check `em out.

Mark.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:29 PM
Bigwillie
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Why buy a street glide ,if you are going to chrome it out? its yours and you can do what you want, i`m sure it will look great, but i thaught the theme behind a street glide was the clean look.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:20 PM
CLL375
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by solowrider
Why buy a street glide ,if you are going to chrome it out? its yours and you can do what you want, i`m sure it will look great, but i thaught the theme behind a street glide was the clean look.
Is the chrome look a dirty look? If you decide to chrome it out get your stock stuff chromed. Like BDHABIT, I got my stock stuff chromed. There is a place here in town that really takes care of guys in my line of work. I got the controls, switch housings, and front end done for a little under $300. I saved all the labor cost because I did all the work. You can also look on ebay for factory take-offs and get those chromed.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:20 PM
BAGGERNATE
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I can't speak to your local chroming prices, but if your gonna go the do it yourself route, you might want to do what I've been doing. I've been looking on E-bay and have found almost all of the parts I need for my chrome project on my 09' Ultra. There are many HD dealers and individuals selling the new (0 miles) and near new OEM take-offs for very reasonable prices. Collect all the parts you want to get chromed, and take them to your chromer all at once, you get a better total price that way. Examples, set of new OEM take-off stock 28 spoke wheels $250 shipped, front set of Brembo calipers complete $175 shipped, New OEM take-off front rotors $70 shipped, new OEM take-off lower front sliders $29 shipped with wheel set, set of OEM front floorboard mounting brackets $30 shipped, etc, etc. These prices are much lower than what the chromers allow for an exchange deal. Either way, have these parts chromed or do an exchange deal using these as cores, I'm still ahead of the game. Plus when I have all the parts back I can do as much or as little of the swapping out as I want, at a time. Plus when the swapping out is done, all chrome parts are OEM, and I still have my take-offs to sell or keep as spares. True it's taken some time, about 6 mos so far to collect the parts, but during my search have come across a few great deals, such as a new set of chrome HD cowbells still with the plastic wrap in HD package for $11 shipped, I couldn't have had a set chromed for that price. I still have a few more parts to get but I'll have them and at the chromers before winter. Thats the plan to do the chrome on my Ultra and stay with OEM parts. Might be worth your consideration. Anythings gotta be cheaper than going through a HD dealer, even if you take the chromed parts and have them do the swap out.

Nate

PS I also found some good deals and cheaper than chroming, nuts, bolts, washers and spacers, after market but OEM stye bolt kits. Caliper bolts, rotor bolts, brake line bango bolts, front wheel spacers. Chrome shops don't really want to mess with polishing those small parts, and charge accordingly.

Last edited by BAGGERNATE; 07-22-2010 at 10:33 PM. Reason: PS