Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to make stock mufflers louder

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 07:18 PM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Trying to make stock mufflers louder

I took my stock mufflers from 05 and drilled two 3/8 holes in each baffel. I put them on my 2010, and I can't tell the difference between them and the stock. No defference at all. Very diappointed. I thought I'd save a little money by drill them out, rather than buying slip-ons. I guess the cats really chock it down.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:10 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How many miles do you have on the 2010 stock mufflers?
The reason I ask is that my '09 stockers got a bit louder around 5,000 miles and then a bit deeper around 9,000 miles.
On my last bike 2006 FLHT (long story) I had drilled the stock 2006 Catalyst mufflers with a 1" drill and removed the catalyst from both.
They actually did sound pretty neat , but had an "odd" tone to them , kinda like small straight through baffles.
I saw a neat setup which has a satisfaction guarantee that I'm thinking of if I were to go louder.
Here's a link.
http://www.americancustom.com/
Even the quietest setup has to be a tad louder than stock with these.
Stock look , and custom tunable sound , for a decent price.
Pretty neat setup.
Mick

Old 07-22-2010, 08:14 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,141 Likes on 3,667 Posts

you need to take a hole saw and drill them baffles out... use an electric drill and a good quality hole saw and use a slow speed to not creat too much heat and ruin the chrome.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:26 PM
swoopjr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
you need to take a hole saw and drill them baffles out... use an electric drill and a good quality hole saw and use a slow speed to not creat too much heat and ruin the chrome.
We just did this on my buddy's bike. It sounds good.

Last edited by swoopjr; 07-22-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:34 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

that is what i did on my XL883C know a guy who did it on a Big twin....Sounds really throaty...

Old 07-23-2010, 01:59 AM
Avmech97
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If my memory is workin right the mufflers on the touring models have 2 baffle plugs in each muffler. Did you drill both of them? Mine had that done & sounded ok but still not as good as the V&H basics that I replaced them with. Did the same on the 1200 Roadster the wife used to ride & it barked pretty good.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:00 AM
glide2005
Supporter

Originally Posted by Avmech97
If my memory is workin right the mufflers on the touring models have 2 baffle plugs in each muffler. Did you drill both of them? Mine had that done & sounded ok but still not as good as the V&H basics that I replaced them with. Did the same on the 1200 Roadster the wife used to ride & it barked pretty good.
Yes the mufflers from my 05 has two plates, one on each end. I drilled both of them. Maybe I need to go bigger, I just used a 3/8 drill and drilled two holes in each one.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:01 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Really , what do you have to lose now that you've started right??? just keep drilling until you get the sound you want...

Old 07-23-2010, 06:05 AM
glide2005
Supporter

Originally Posted by Mick
How many miles do you have on the 2010 stock mufflers?
The reason I ask is that my '09 stockers got a bit louder around 5,000 miles and then a bit deeper around 9,000 miles.
On my last bike 2006 FLHT (long story) I had drilled the stock 2006 Catalyst mufflers with a 1" drill and removed the catalyst from both.
They actually did sound pretty neat , but had an "odd" tone to them , kinda like small straight through baffles.
I saw a neat setup which has a satisfaction guarantee that I'm thinking of if I were to go louder.
Here's a link.
http://www.americancustom.com/
Even the quietest setup has to be a tad louder than stock with these.
Stock look , and custom tunable sound , for a decent price.
Pretty neat setup.
Mick
Only have 1500 miles on it so far, just had it for 3 weeks. The cats are in the head pipes on this one. The stock mufflers for the 10 has only one plate to drill out, the 05 mufflers has two. Will drill out the 10 mufflers tonight.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:24 AM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

I am fairly sure to get any real sound out of a stock head pipe on a 10 you'll have to perform surgery and gut the cat. Then there is a company whose name escapes me that will recore your muffs to what ever level you want. Gutting the cat is not a huge deal. I fully intend to get mine done in the next few weeks.
You'll take the head pipe off. Cut it through the cat. Then reweld it with the pipe alligned up. (Not critical, since the muffler rotates on the pipe for alignment) and should be easy enough with the pipe being elongated at the cat anyway.
I say this because I didn't start mine without the SE Nightstick on it, but others have said they started their bikes, (SG) with no muffler and it still wasn't very loud...

Quick Reply: Trying to make stock mufflers louder