Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to make stock mufflers louder

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 07:16 AM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with MICK. At 7500 miles my '10 Ultra seems to be "opening up" and getting a significant change in tone. I also installed the fishtail tips from Kuryaken and noticed a change also.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:14 AM
wingfoot
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

If you plan on changing you head pipe later, I wouldn't get too carried away with the drill, unless you want loud pipes.

I put on a CATless V&H Power Dual head pipe with stock mufflers and the exhaust volume was noticeable louder with much less heat.

Just my

Old 07-23-2010, 09:23 AM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 2,894 Likes on 984 Posts

Originally Posted by glide2005
I took my stock mufflers from 05 and drilled two 3/8 holes in each baffel. I put them on my 2010, and I can't tell the difference between them and the stock. No defference at all. Very diappointed. I thought I'd save a little money by drill them out, rather than buying slip-ons. I guess the cats really chock it down.
Dude...I'm sorry, I gotta ask you...what the hell are you doing?

You're driving around on a brand new $20K motorcycle, and you're drilling holes in the baffles to get the sound that you want? You obviously know that the 2010 model you have is equipped with a cat in the headpipe. Drilling holes in the baffles, or just installing slip-ons isn't going to do much to increase performance, cool the engine down, or let it breathe.

Do yourself a huge favor and invest in a quality stage 1 set up. That means buying a full exhaust system (Vance & Hines Pro Pipe, D&D Fatcat, Thunderheader, etc), a decent air cleaner (Arlen Ness, K & N, SE, etc), and a Fuel Management system (V&H Fuel Pack, Power Commander, etc).

You've invested in excess of $20K into this bike already, why would you ever want to do something as half assed as drilling holes in the stock pipes? Just my dos centavos.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:41 PM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Then Came Bronson
Dude...I'm sorry, I gotta ask you...what the hell are you doing?

You're driving around on a brand new $20K motorcycle, and you're drilling holes in the baffles to get the sound that you want? You obviously know that the 2010 model you have is equipped with a cat in the headpipe. Drilling holes in the baffles, or just installing slip-ons isn't going to do much to increase performance, cool the engine down, or let it breathe.

Do yourself a huge favor and invest in a quality stage 1 set up. That means buying a full exhaust system (Vance & Hines Pro Pipe, D&D Fatcat, Thunderheader, etc), a decent air cleaner (Arlen Ness, K & N, SE, etc), and a Fuel Management system (V&H Fuel Pack, Power Commander, etc).

You've invested in excess of $20K into this bike already, why would you ever want to do something as half assed as drilling holes in the stock pipes? Just my dos centavos.
First of all, its my bike and the coins are comeing out of my pockets, not yours. If you have an extra 1000 bux just laying around, please send it to me. I didn't drill out my 2010 mufflers, I did it on my old take offs from my 05. I did go back in today with a 1" hole saw. Sounds better than stock. And besides, it aint hurting anything till I can go the hole route.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:30 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

First of all, its my bike and the coins are comeing out of my pockets, not yours. If you have an extra 1000 bux just laying around, please send it to me. I didn't drill out my 2010 mufflers, I did it on my old take offs from my 05. I did go back in today with a 1" hole saw. Sounds better than stock. And besides, it aint hurting anything till I can go the hole route.
It's your bike, do what you want

Old 07-23-2010, 06:45 PM
*Merlin*
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I thought I was having a bad day. I guess I am not.

Ape hangers and a cup holder? Just to funny!
It's your ride my brother. Be proud!

Last edited by *Merlin*; 07-23-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:48 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by krazy3
It's your bike, do what you want
+1 Do what you want, but I'd save the work and find some inexpensive slip-on's. Even better buy the whole stage 1 kit with whatever setup you want. You spent some big $ on a Harley. Why not give it the sound you want? Just saying... And yes I know money doesn't grow on trees.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:52 PM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I know, I know, I should waite and put some good pipes on the bike. I will when my ship come in. But for now, the stockers will have to do. I'm just tired of it sounding like a Honda. Had to do something. I mite even like it, I've had Thunderheaders, V&H, ovals and slash cut, D&D, SuperTrapps, WildPiggs, and several others.

And as for as the cup holder, well, you mite as well be comfy while rideing.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:55 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 2,894 Likes on 984 Posts

Hey, you're the one that owns a brand new $20K motorcycle with apehangers, custom grips, a nice windshield, a GPS unit (?), and a really sweet cupholder. If you can afford all that stuff, I don't think you need me to float you a thousand dollar loan.

But hey, if you want to drill into your exhaust pipe with a 1" hole saw to improve the sound on your new motorcycle, then by all means...have at it.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:02 PM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts

Fullsac used to recore stock mufflers but I think they got out of that part of the biz.

Quick Reply: Trying to make stock mufflers louder