Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hawg-Wired Guage Tweeter Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 01:52 PM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hawg-Wired Guage Tweeter Replacement

I ended up installing the Hawg-Wired gauge replacement tweeters. I have the T-Bag fairing pouch, which prevents me from using the Hogtunes tweeter pod. also, I didn't like the idea of drilling holes in my fairing; I always like to go back to stock if I had to.

The kit is plug-and-play, and the crossovers mount with velcro tape. No cutting or anything. Gauges come out, tweeters snap in. Perfect fit.

They connect in parallel to the front speakers. These are 4 ohm, and my fronts are 2 ohm. So, per side, my resistance drops to 1 1/3 ohms, but so far I haven't noticed a problem. I'm going with a large amp for my fronts and rears in the fall, so I'll be adding extra power at that time.

As far as sound goes, if it's louder, I haven't been able to notice. I have Hogtunes front and rear, plus the fairing lower & amp kit, so the music is loud as hell as it is. What I did notice was that the quality of the sound has improved, quite noticeably. It's crisper and the highs are clearer.

I did notice a big difference between a similar setup using the Hogtunes pod. The Hogtunes pods I've listened to are quite tinny. It could be also because of the height the tweeters are at - blasting directly in your face. I was worried I'd have the same issues with these babies, but I don't.

Installation was easy. I got rid of my air temp gauge and voltmeter. I would have preferred to keep the voltmeter over the fuel gauge, since it isn't accurate for s**t anyways, but the transfer was easier, and I've never owned a bike with a voltmeter as it is. With DC voltage, electrical problems that arise become quite apparent quickly anyways.

The fuel gauge wiring harness was long enough to allow for the transfer of the gauge from it's upper position to the lower one. I could even get under there and do all the work without having to remove any fairing brackets, etc.

Here's some pics:

While I was at it, I installed some J&M adhesive sound matting. It comes cut-to-fit. Just clean the inside of the batwing and apply.

From the inside, the mounting of the crossovers You can see the back of the tweeter, to the right of the speaker.

During installation:

Finished tweeters:

Pretty nice stuff. I haven't tried siliconing the chrome trim rings or anything to them. The tweeters don't have a lip the the HD gauges do, so I'll likely leave it as they are.

Cannon

Old 07-22-2010, 02:18 PM
2manytoys
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Am I right to assume that in my 09 SG with 2ohm output I could go with 4ohm aftermarket speakers and the Hog Wired tweeters and end up back at 2ohms for the setup?

Old 07-22-2010, 02:27 PM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, resistance in parallel circuits is the additive reciprocals, from what I recall. 1 over the total resistance is equal to 1 over the resistances in the speakers. So, I guess paralleling two 4-ohm speakers indeed gives you a total resistance of 2 ohms.

I would guess this is why, for instance, Hogtunes uses 6 ohms for their tweeter pod. That way, it will work with older or newer HD stereos with minimal effect. In a 2-ohm system, the tweeter pod brings resistance to 1 1/2 ohms, which I guess isn't too bad.

When the resistance decreases, the current load increases. voltage = current times resistance. I just use 12V for my calculations. 2 full ohms of resistance equals a load of 6 amps (I'm not taking into account total load here, just using two speakers as an example). 1 1/3 ohms brings the load up to 9 amps.

I'm sure some stereo experts here can probably explain all of this better than I can.

It makes sense to me that what you propose would work.

Cannon