Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Opinions on FuelMoto Package

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 01:22 PM
red.heritage
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Opinions on FuelMoto Package

Last weekend I finished the installation of the FuelMoto 2-1-2 headpipe, Jackpot slipons, PCV with FuelMoto map, and a SE Ventilator A/C on my 2010 Ultra Limited. My observations and opinions are:

A couple of disappointments ---

1. I am a bit disappointed at the amount of heat still coming off of the headpipe. (Perhaps I was expecting more than I should have.) There is an improvement, but the heat on the underside of my leg is still uncomfortable, not unbearable as before, but still uncomfortable.

2. My fuel mileage dropped to 38.57 mpg from 40.8 mpg I had been getting. The 38.57 was on a 300 mile trip mostly interstate driving @ 72 - 80 mph. I think I read on a post from FuelMoto that their stage I should get around 44 mpg, so that is also a bit of a disappointment.

Now for the good stuff ---

1. The sound is fantastic! Much better than I expected. It has that low rumble we all expect from a Harley and it is downright loud when I open the throttle. If you can't already tell, I like the sound, I do. (This is with the regular baffle set.)

2. Power is much, much better than I had expected, or even hoped for. At 60 mph, in 6th gear, I can open the throttle and the response is immediate and definite, whereas before there was only a slight change in sound and I hardly felt any acceleration.

Overall, I am more than pleased with the FuelMoto experience!

Would I do it again? HELL YES!

Old 07-22-2010, 01:28 PM
bobros
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with all 4 issues. And yes, I would do it again.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:33 PM
FLHXterp
Tourer

It's a very easy fix for the mileage. In the cruise range on your map just take out some fuel (like 5 or 10).

Even better is to mount a switch and have one map for power and one map for mileage.

But yes, the Fuel Moto package is sweet.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:36 PM
vtwinbmx
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with FLHXterp sounds like you could use the map switch function on your PCV. Call Jamie and ask him for a rich map you can use when stuck in stop and go traffic and city riding. Your fuel economy will suffer a little but it would drop the heat some. You can also ask him for a leaner map that will increase your fuel economy for those 300+ mile trips. Not sure how much it is to add this feature but it would solve all your problems.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:13 PM
bradsULtd
HDF Community Team
Received 531 Likes on 380 Posts

I just did similar add-ons to you a week ago...and got pretty much the same result, although I have not checked the mileage as yet...LTD runs/sounds great across the complete RPM range...good stuff!

I'm sure the added fuel is to compensate for the increased flow thru the cat-less headpipe...probably the default map...

brad

Old 07-22-2010, 04:35 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,156 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Originally Posted by red.heritage
Last weekend I finished the installation of the FuelMoto 2-1-2 headpipe, Jackpot slipons, PCV with FuelMoto map, and a SE Ventilator A/C on my 2010 Ultra Limited. My observations and opinions are:

A couple of disappointments ---

1. I am a bit disappointed at the amount of heat still coming off of the headpipe. (Perhaps I was expecting more than I should have.) There is an improvement, but the heat on the underside of my leg is still uncomfortable, not unbearable as before, but still uncomfortable.

2. My fuel mileage dropped to 38.57 mpg from 40.8 mpg I had been getting. The 38.57 was on a 300 mile trip mostly interstate driving @ 72 - 80 mph. I think I read on a post from FuelMoto that their stage I should get around 44 mpg, so that is also a bit of a disappointment.

Now for the good stuff ---

1. The sound is fantastic! Much better than I expected. It has that low rumble we all expect from a Harley and it is downright loud when I open the throttle. If you can't already tell, I like the sound, I do. (This is with the regular baffle set.)

2. Power is much, much better than I had expected, or even hoped for. At 60 mph, in 6th gear, I can open the throttle and the response is immediate and definite, whereas before there was only a slight change in sound and I hardly felt any acceleration.

Overall, I am more than pleased with the FuelMoto experience!

Would I do it again? HELL YES!
Thank you very much for the feedback on our setup. As far as the heat from the exhaust, although it will be reduced by a big margin with the Jackpot 2/1/2 head pipe it is still and exhaust system and can be pretty warm. We have a couple things we are working on to reduce heat even more, including a thermal blanket that fits under the heat shields that should work well. I will post info when we test it. As far as mileage this can and will vary greatly. There are huge variables in conditions, riding style, load, altitude, and several other factors that affect mileage, even the exact amount of fuel one uses to calculate it. The reports we have for mileage from customers with stock bikes also differs greatly, we have heard as low as 32 MPG and as good as 46. For most riders this has not changed greatly by adding our package, and in most cases it has actually improved. From the actual testing I have done in house I have averaged 41-45 depending on conditions. This was tested over several full tanks of fuel. We can also adjust the fuel table in the map for better fuel mileage. I have spent a a lot of time on these bikes as well as working with customers enhancing their mileage and over the past year start putting together patterns on fuel mileage vs riding style vs conditions etc.. One of the first things I will note is that many are running the motors at a lower RPM than they should be. What happens when the motor is running at less than optimal RPM's is that they actually will produce more heat and use more fuel. I first noted this a couple years back when I was riding one of our bikes with datalogging equipment and noted at 60 MPH the injector duty cycle and throttle blade angle was higher in 6th gear than 5th. This is a direct represenation of fuel mileage. If anyone needs any assistance just let us know as we are here to help

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 07-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Hi Red,

Your experience sounds a lot like mine with the exception of the fuel economy. We read so much about how a Stage 1 upgrade cools things down that I think we expect more than is realistic. I truly think my engine is running cooler than it was before I installed FuelMoto's system but my right leg still get plenty warm when the conditions are right. As for fuel mileage, mine didn't change much one way or the other that I can tell. I'm pretty **** about checking my mileage. I always fill er up and reset the trip meter, then do the math, and high 30's is pretty much what I've gotten, before and after the Stage 1. I even try to fill at the same station and pump as much as practical.

Jamie,

I was very interested to read what you said about your data logging info, especially the part about fuel flow and throttle angle at a given speed in 5th gear vs 6th. I've suspected such was the case a lot of the time. Lower rpms don't always equate to better fuel economy. I'll also (as I'm sure many of us will) be watching your site for info on the exhaust thermal blankets and whatever other tricks you've got up your sleeve to address this issue. I've got my bike to a point where the heat is tolerable but I won't mind taking it a couple of steps further if possible! Thanks for all your hard work and great service!

Ride Safe All!
Steve R.

Last edited by Intrepid175; 07-24-2010 at 01:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-24-2010, 02:00 AM
cafedante
Advanced

My mistake was to use the jackpot slip-ons on my stock header while waiting for the CAT-less head-pipe to arrive. When I took the mufflers off I noticed the right one had already began to yellow toward the edge - about a 2" band. Luckily most of it was hidden behind the heat shield.

My advice: If you have a CAT then leave the stock mufflers on there until you replace the headpipe.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:32 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jamie is right on the money about the rpms to run at. Even the stock cams have the peak torque above the rpms that you will run at 60mph in 6th. And if running any type of rolling terrain you will see the economy suffer even worse in 6th. I never shift into 6th much below 70mph

I have played with my tuning on the HQ 107 I am running withe the Fuelmoto catless headpipes, and temps are acceptable and I am getting an average of 42.5 mpg, both highway and country riding, 40 mpg city stop and go, so it is possble, even with a big bore engine.

But, these are tweaks to the tuning that are done from datalogging and driving using a TTS.