Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody got SE nightsticks on 2010 SG??

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 06:33 AM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by hd_rolling
I hated mine! I tried pulling the disks, pulling disks and end cap and pulling the whole baffle out and it still sounded like a moped. With each different set up just a little louder moped. Mine also turned yellow were it attaches to the cat after about 4000 miles JFYI. I'm only keeping it in case i have to put the stock 2-1 back on for inspection down the road and because i hate it so much i wouldnt sell it and have someone else sounding like a moped with a yellow muffler. Asked the dealer if it was warrentied and they said if it didnt affect the performance then they don't cover cosmetic.
Well, I don't know why it sounded like a "Moped" in your opinion. Yes, with the CAT it won't sound like my softail with the V&H Longshots, or those pipes that both dump right behind your right heel...
It is not the Mufflers fault. I am gutting the Cat to see what turns out. Also if it's turning color is because the damned stock pipe is so hot from the Cat I imagine. Sancho painted the steel on the one I have with hi temp paint. So I guess that would help with the cosmetic part.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:34 AM
Chuck1
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

My wife had the Nightstick put on along with the AC and download. Runs good, sounds decent. We're not into loud pipes. It has a little rumble, louder than stock for sure. She seems to like it so far.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:38 AM
Benito
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking

I have the Nitestick on my '10 and i gotta tell ya, I like them!

I have the Stage II BB 103" Build, so my bike will be louder w/the 255 cams and BB kit...

I plan to buy a header pipe, in order to remove the cat, but will keep the Nitestick slip on with the end cap. Heck, the pipe was made by Supertrapp, and we all know they make a good 2>1 pipe... Moeover, it is EPA approved, in the event EPA tightens up on noise patrol. It's a keeper.

I'm sooo sick of loud pipes. Been there, done that, bought the T-Shirt. Chalk it up to maturity, and appreciating the sounds of the stereo, not to mention trying to keep my hearing until I'm at least 90 yrs young

Cheers,

BB

Old 07-22-2010, 08:49 AM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 583 Likes on 219 Posts
Old 07-22-2010, 05:33 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTJr
Well, I don't know why it sounded like a "Moped" in your opinion. Yes, with the CAT it won't sound like my softail with the V&H Longshots, or those pipes that both dump right behind your right heel...
It is not the Mufflers fault. I am gutting the Cat to see what turns out. Also if it's turning color is because the damned stock pipe is so hot from the Cat I imagine. Sancho painted the steel on the one I have with hi temp paint. So I guess that would help with the cosmetic part.
The lady didn't ask how it sounded with-out the cat, she asked what everyone thought of it. Mine, with the cat sounded like a moped to me and the guys i ride with. If her husband has the cat then theres a good chance he's not going to like it but everyones different. Out of everyone that posted here three of us didnt like it,a couple like it but want to get rid of the cat to help it sound better so alone with the cat it still sounds like crap, and one likes it but has a cammed engine and a 103" that would change what it sounds like compared to a stock bike with cats like her husband has. And two posts from people that like it and didnt talk about having to change anything else.
lockednloaded, if you have a Harley dealer near by that rents bikes and has a Street Glide i bet it has the Nightstick installed on it. I would be willing to bet they would fire it up so you could here it first hand.
I made the mistake of buying one because it was cheap and figured it would be OK, wish i would have saved my money! I had to save for an extra two months to be able to get the exhaust i wanted, i should have just waited and did it right the first time. And theres a good chance your bike will still be louder than his, only now his will sound like a moped.
With my Rineharts i still hear my radio fine and when my wifes on back she can hear the radio fine as well and thinks it sounds much better now that i have the nightstick off.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:20 PM
SteveinNKC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like mine so far, I removed 1 disk, and added a Rumbler end cap. The rumbler end cap has an adjustable endcap allowing a fully closed of partially open end cap. No problems so far.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:43 PM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member

The lady didn't ask how it sounded with-out the cat, she asked what everyone thought of it. Mine, with the cat sounded like a moped to me and the guys i ride with. If her husband has the cat then theres a good chance he's not going to like it but everyones different. Out of everyone that posted here three of us didnt like it,a couple like it but want to get rid of the cat to help it sound better so alone with the cat it still sounds like crap, and one likes it but has a cammed engine and a 103" that would change what it sounds like compared to a stock bike with cats like her husband has. And two posts from people that like it and didnt talk about having to change anything else.
lockednloaded, if you have a Harley dealer near by that rents bikes and has a Street Glide i bet it has the Nightstick installed on it. I would be willing to bet they would fire it up so you could here it first hand.
I made the mistake of buying one because it was cheap and figured it would be OK, wish i would have saved my money! I had to save for an extra two months to be able to get the exhaust i wanted, i should have just waited and did it right the first time. And theres a good chance your bike will still be louder than his, only now his will sound like a moped.
With my Rineharts i still hear my radio fine and when my wifes on back she can hear the radio fine as well and thinks it sounds much better now that i have the nightstick off.
I know she didn't ask. I also don't think they sound like a "Moped" with the cat. But you seem to think they do.. So like you said, everyone has an opinion.
I frankly don't think they sound much louder at idle, but if you nail it, it most certainly doesn't sound like a scooter... LOL
Would I like mine just a little louder, and cooler? YES, that's why I am getting rid of the Cat...

Old 08-06-2010, 09:58 PM
NewAge
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hated mine! I tried pulling the disks, pulling disks and end cap and pulling the whole baffle out and it still sounded like a moped. With each different set up just a little louder moped. Mine also turned yellow were it attaches to the cat after about 4000 miles JFYI. I'm only keeping it in case i have to put the stock 2-1 back on for inspection down the road and because i hate it so much i wouldnt sell it and have someone else sounding like a moped with a yellow muffler. Asked the dealer if it was warrentied and they said if it didnt affect the performance then they don't cover cosmetic.
+1 on this. Same here - it turned yellow at the connection and the tip on mine. Parts girl (yeah she should just stay at the front desk and not offer advice) told me that it was strictly a slip-on. No DL or anything. I go in to pick up my tour pak and the service manager sees the yellowing and tells me the night stick needs a download. Parts manager offers me the DL at cost ($100) or refund my exhaust price ($250+..... yeah i took the refund.)

I don't suggest the nightstick. It seriously does sound like a moped when you rev the engine, or get the rpms higher during riding. In fact I think my lawn mower sounds better than the nightstick. The disks don't help either. There are many cheaper slip-ons that sound a lot better IMHO.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:25 AM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member

For those of you who do not like the NS and are trying to "Save her" LOL,,, look at her signature,, looks like she bought it....

Everyone has opinions,, I would just about bet those who hate the sound of the NS pretty much don't like the sound of a 2-1 exhaust. They do sound different of course, and with the cat, it will NEVER sound like V&H Longshots on my Softail I had before,, I DID LOVE that sound. But man,

I would LOVE to know what kinds of "Mopeds" you guys ride! Cause it don't sound like one!

Old 08-07-2010, 12:10 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

i have a gutted headpipe and the nightstick. i like it fine. tame at cruising speed, but wil definitely bark when you get on it.

Originally Posted by LMmarine86
Same here - it turned yellow at the connection and the tip on mine. Parts girl (yeah she should just stay at the front desk and not offer advice) told me that it was strictly a slip-on. No DL or anything. I go in to pick up my tour pak and the service manager sees the yellowing and tells me the night stick needs a download. Parts manager offers me the DL at cost ($100) or refund my exhaust price ($250+..... yeah i took the refund.)
without any other changes, it does not need a download. and i think you would turn yellow too if you were sitting right next to something thats gonna heat up to some ridiculous temp like 1000*.....