Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transporting RK in back of pick up truck. Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 12:15 PM
cruzmisl
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Transporting RK in back of pick up truck. Any advice?

Hi All,
I'm picking up my RKC this Sunday (yeah for me). I have a full size Dodge pick up truck and was planning on putting it in the back. With the tailgate down it will fit but I'm curious what the best way to tie it down is to be sure I don't have any issues. I have a bunch of nylon ratchet straps but unsure of the best place on the bike to secure it.

Any ideas appreciated.
Thanks,
Joe.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:24 PM
flyer91
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are close to Northern Tool get one of their front wheel chocks (pretty cheap at $50).
See : http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200409163_200409163
If not close to you, then get a similar one from another source.
The wheel chock and tie downs on the bars is the best way to ensure no ugly stuff will happen.

If you don't want to drill holes in you truck bed then use a large piece (3'X3') of 3/4" plywood for the base.

Last edited by flyer91; 07-21-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:28 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Best advice I can give is not to post a thread about hauling a bike.

Use plenty of straps, I usually use 6-8, just be sure that they don't flap and scratch the bike, I don't use the hooks on the bike, the hooks can scratch. I loop the straps around or use soft ties.

Don't let the back tire rest on the tailgate, I put a 2x10 under the bike to carry the weight. If you search you might find a thread posted about hauling a bike in a Ford Ranger. It had great pics.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:35 PM
cruzmisl
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The owner of the truck I'm using said that he has transported another RK in the back and the rear wheel rests right on the crack of the tailgate and the bed. I agree that hauling the bike is not the spirit but it won't be legal for the road and its 4 hours away. I figured I'd truck it home since I'm sure the local constabulary would love to tow it and its a stange bike and I don;t want to get stuck at the side of the highway. I also have a wheel chock so I'm good on that front.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:38 PM
dgoodbmw
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts
Default hauling

Soft ties around the brake caliper between the fender brace and fork, 2 more on front dump bars, and 2 more on rear pass floorboard brackets. All 6 go to side bed brackets, 4 to front, 2 to rear. DO NOT USE HANDLEBARS as they can get pulled down and then loosen

Old 07-21-2010, 01:03 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

It's nice to have a front wheel chock, but it's not necessary. You'll want two ramps, or one wide enough to walk alongside the bike as you're loading. I'd advise against riding it into the bed. Have a couple of guys with you, walk it up into the bed of the truck. Watch out for anything in the front of the bed that might come in contact with the front fender. You want the front tire up against the back of the bed, or some other immovable object. If the lip of the bed will come in contact with the front fender of your bike, you'll need some other block between the front wheel and the front of the bed.

Use soft ties on the bike, and ratcheting tie downs. You can tie down the front at the frame, where the top of the crash bar is attached. The tie downs need to angle out from the bike, and you need some angling forward, and some angling back. 4 tie down in front and 2 in the back is plenty for even the heaviest bikes. Ratchet it down so the suspension is fairly compressed. We do use the handlebars for short trips and have not had any problems, but it's better to tie down to the frame.

Last edited by Mike; 07-21-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:55 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,280 Likes on 1,317 Posts

I trailered my RKC home from North Carolina in the back of a U haul trailer for 8 hours and tied it down by it's handlebars without any problems. Just make sure that you pull the front end down well and check it when you stop for gas/lunch/etc.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:15 PM
harleyphoenix
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't you get a ride to the dealer and ride the thing. Sheez!

Old 07-21-2010, 02:39 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

a strap on each side of the handle bars, and 2 straps on the rear crash guard to the middle and back of the truckbed on each side works fine.. best advice is lots of help loading and unloading..

Old 07-21-2010, 03:00 PM
yljkt
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See if the dealer will leave the dealer plate on for the ride home, then over-night it back.

Quick Reply: Transporting RK in back of pick up truck. Any advice?