Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

80 mph corner almost turned deadly

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 10:46 AM
pretz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

you now know the difference between a Sport bike and a Sporty looking bike.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:23 AM
mphamrick
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You got lucky so now it is time to relax and enjoy the scenery.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:51 AM
jmoore9
Cruiser

You are right, I'm going to ride at medium pace and enjoy the scenery with the correct amount of fork oil, dyna beads and sta-bo.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:47 PM
h01waterman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It may still be a problem with the tires. If they are old, or have a lot of miles please look closely. There may be some "cupping" that contributes to the "speed wobbles. A friend of mine may have had a problem like this once or twice before. The last time he told me that he had about 20,000 miles on his front tire and it did not look too bad. Changing this tire on his 2008 Ultra stopped the problem from happening on some 40 mph curves....

The mechanical checks and/or braces (depending on the year of the bike), sound like a good idea before replacing the tire(s) though.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:39 AM
Time2Cruise
Road Master

Interesting story. When I first read this I had the same reaction as 90% of the posters here. Slow down, these are not race bikes. Last weekend I was with a group of 4 including myself, 2 Ultras (including mine), a Road King, and a Road Glide. We were coming down a canyon which was the last 8 miles of a 320 mile ride. The canyon is a 4 lane that is a riot to ride and we were doing 70 to 80 mph. Yes, we were speeding, but not the fastest on that section of road. BTW, I'll accept all the criticism out there from anyone that has never gone over the seed limit, but if you have EVER exceeded the speed limit then shut up.

On a couple of corners I started getting a little wobble, then one corner it got wicked and more intense and wouldn't stop without slowing down. Thank goodness I was the last rider in the group. This happened again further down the canyon, but I was ready for it then. It's not a great feeling to have the bike wobbling at 70 mph.

I've talked to a few people and they are saying it's the rubber mounts on the rear swing arm and the Tru Track or similar product is probably the best cure. My rear tire has about 8000 miles on it and I'm sure is contributing. Go ahead and bash away if you want, but my attitude on this subject has changed 180*. I just want my bike to ride as well as the others I ride with.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:10 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd put some common sense on the rider, that would help a lot. I'm glad your ok.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:47 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Time2Cruise
Interesting story. When I first read this I had the same reaction as 90% of the posters here. Slow down, these are not race bikes. Last weekend I was with a group of 4 including myself, 2 Ultras (including mine), a Road King, and a Road Glide. We were coming down a canyon which was the last 8 miles of a 320 mile ride. The canyon is a 4 lane that is a riot to ride and we were doing 70 to 80 mph. Yes, we were speeding, but not the fastest on that section of road. BTW, I'll accept all the criticism out there from anyone that has never gone over the seed limit, but if you have EVER exceeded the speed limit then shut up.

On a couple of corners I started getting a little wobble, then one corner it got wicked and more intense and wouldn't stop without slowing down. Thank goodness I was the last rider in the group. This happened again further down the canyon, but I was ready for it then. It's not a great feeling to have the bike wobbling at 70 mph.

I've talked to a few people and they are saying it's the rubber mounts on the rear swing arm and the Tru Track or similar product is probably the best cure. My rear tire has about 8000 miles on it and I'm sure is contributing. Go ahead and bash away if you want, but my attitude on this subject has changed 180*. I just want my bike to ride as well as the others I ride with.
I assume you were in Parley's I-80 out of SLC. 8K on rear tire will surely do it since there are a lot of washboard groves on this heavy traveled road and I've experience this on worn tires. Last week I changed lanes to pass in a sweeper corner on this road and almost went dn. when a tar snake high sided me, caught my foot( thought I broke it), whobbled a few times before it got straighten out. I've been up this road thousand of times and this one almost got me. Then a couple weeks prior I had an idiot in BMW car pass me in my lane next to the inside barrier in a corner. Another time I was coming dn. and saw Hwy Patrol backing up as I was passing semi and pretty soon she's in my lane and I'm up against the middle concrete barrier trying to stop as they were landing a Helicopter for an accident. I really couldn't blame her as they were cones funneling everyone to a stop. She woke her OM up as I went back to talk to her and say I understood. And another I was coming dn. and a dead deer was laying in my lane. It's a great canyon interstate for 80 mph sweepers but I think I'm going to slow dn.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:58 AM
fattboy1967
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jmoore9
I was in VT this weekend riding very hard on the back roads through the mountains 80 and 90 per hour when all of a sudden my front tire started wobbling uncontrollably. I've rode rice rockets for 20 years faster and harder around the same rodes and never had this happen, this scared the **** out of me, lucklily i strong armed the handle bars and came out of it fine. I guess I know a street glides limits. Is there anything I can put on the bike so this wont happen.
your kiddin us right???