Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I melted my rainpants to my exhaust - remedies?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 09:47 PM
J2X
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

So to recap, Easy-off, pipes not to hot, keep away from anything painted, no extended duration on the affected area, caution with the use of a razor blade, Never-Dull for lustre and a new set of rain pants with the heat shield.

Could we throw a beer in there while he waits on the Easy-off?

Old 07-20-2010, 11:29 PM
SeaHag
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The easiest method which won't require removal or worry about overspray is to just ride your bike so the pipes get hot, then buff off the goo with 0000 [super fine] grade steel wool. The stuff is cheap, won't scratch your chrome at all and works perfectly. I keep a wad of the stuff in my saddlebag all the time to clean up boot marks, rain pants, and help out friends who still haven't learned this trick.

After my California trip this year, I tossed the Frogg Toggs for good. I sprayed an entire can of silicone water proofing spray and mink oiled my leather overpants so they are now my rain pants. No more melt on my pipes.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:41 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Remedy? Keep your pant legs off the pipes!

Easy-Off cold oven cleaner on cold pipes. Spray it on, let it soak overnight and the goop should rinse off with cold water. It won't hurt chrome, either.

Last edited by slhanks4; 07-20-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:53 PM
XXRugerXX
Advanced

I had that happen once. I used the edge of a piece of Plexiglas stock that I had (sharp but don't scratch) to scrape of most of it off cold pipes. Used a little "goof-off" on the corner of a rag to get the rest. Good Luck!

Old 07-21-2010, 01:34 AM
BSM
Stage I

Hey dude us a mr. clean magic eraser. I burnt up a pair of snow pants to my exhaust and it all came off. I won't tell a lie it will take some elbow into her but no scratches and no over spray with the oven cleaner. Good luck!

Old 07-21-2010, 07:11 AM
TheRainMan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks everyone for the advice - got lots of things to try...

Old 07-21-2010, 09:21 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

The steel wool will make very fine scratches. I'd get the pipes hot and scrape as much as I can off with cardboard or n old rag. Then get busy with the chrome polish or nevr dull, it usually comes off without too much effort.
Get an ironing board cover (the old silver kind) and sew a piece of it (or use the iron on hemming tape) to the leg of your rain suit (you have a hole to patch anyways).

Old 07-21-2010, 10:00 AM
valvestem
Road Captain

If the melted plastic is just on the shield, I would remove the shield and use Easy Off oven cleaner on it. Wrap it in aluminum foil to keep the Easy Off spray contained. Then wrap it up like a meat loaf and let the oven cleaner do it's thing. Repeat if needed.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:18 AM
BuckeyeRider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just tried the 0000 steel wool method with the pipes warm (ride around the block)
Took about 5 minutes to completely remove and they were covered pretty good.
Absolutely 0, none, no fine scrarches on the chrome. You may get scratches if you don't use the 0000 super fine steel wool.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:04 PM
CarrollB
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I need to get some 0000 steel wool. A razor blade and what felt like a soft plastic pot scrubber and chrome cleaner will scratch the pipes; I know.

Quick Reply: I melted my rainpants to my exhaust - remedies?