Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sounds like a Honda....Helppp!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 01:08 PM
TANK'S 250
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sounds like a Honda....Helppp!

My newb link...some stuff about me....

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-m...ml#post7023852

The reason I came here......

.....tons of questions about my new scoot......I'm a carburetor guy.....and well....to put it lightly...

....I'm electronically injected retarded.....and all I really know is my Heritage...never really paid attention to any other model bikes, or the advances in Harley over the years.....I was kinda "narrow minded".

I always wanted a Road King,..now I have one....so here come the rookie questions..

When I bought the bike, the dealer said I might already have a Stage I,...how would I know?...something I can look at,..like the air cleaner or something?

I also heard something about 20 degree spray pattern injectors, and I should put 30 degree ones in it?......or maybe it already has them...and way I could find out?...

Please talk slowly, provide links, and number your responses........Military mentality...LOL.

1. I want to change the pipes, I'm used to my Heritages Vance & Hines long shots w/ torque cones(no baffles)....and bike sounds like a Honda.....I was looking at Basanni true duals.

2. I know that I need a flash once I change pipes...what is the best way to go about this?...dealer?...buy a programmer?...and what is involved?

I'll have more questions...this is just a start.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:16 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Stage I is used to describe either an upgraded air cleaner, or the stage I ECM download. If your dealer said you might already have the stage I, he might have been referring to the download. (about 150 bucks from most dealers)

A stage I air cleaner stands out from the motor by a couple of inches. The stock air cleaner is pretty flush against it. A full stage I treatment usually consists of an air cleaner, exhaust upgrade and more fuel.

As you know, you can either change mufflers or the whole exhaust system. The 06 exhaust with the stock y-pipe tends to run a little hot. I've tried the fullsac conversion, which works pretty good, and coupled with some good slip ons, will give you a decent exhaust. I just put on the Rinehart true dual exhaust which looks and sounds great. Some guys will tell you that you need a 2-1 or 2-1-2 exhaust or you will lose some low end torque. My experience with my bike is that there is no discernable loss of torque going from the stock y pipe to the Rinehart true dual.

I've added fuel a couple of ways. If you're not planning on going beyond stage I, you can pick up a used V&H fuelpak fairly cheaply. They work well for stage I applications, but they cannot be dyno tuned. A step up would be a power commander (which can be run on a canned map, with an autotune, or dyno tuned.) Best, though, imo would be a tts or Se super tuner and a dyno tune. I've got the fuel moto retro-fit PCV with autotune on my bike.

Last edited by Mike; 07-20-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:23 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

What pipes are on it now? The stockers?

If the pipes are not stock and if you remove the football cover and the box behind it is open all the way around the perimeter there is a good chance that it was set up for stage I.

Only the dealer can tell if the bike has been flashed or not. This is important to know because if you are going to run an aftermarket fuel management system like a power commander the ECM needs to be in stock form.

Injectors are not something that you need to change. People change out the throttle bodies when they get crazy on going to big bores, high flowing heads and radical cams.

You only really need fuel management changes if the air cleaner has also been opened up. If you are not going to do that then you probably don't need to do anything other than change the pipes.

Do not waste your money on the download from the dealer. For fuel management there are a couple of options. If you are not on a strict budgetand would like to be able to change things yourself later budget there are the TTS mastertune. There is always the SEPRT that harley sells. If money is tighter then you can contact Jamie for one of his powercomander packages. They are pre-set to your specs for pipes and intake with maps that they have developed on the dynos. You just plug it in and go. If you make changes later they will send you a new map for free.

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/

Old 07-20-2010, 04:24 PM
yljkt
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm kind of shocked, Tank. Its not a diesel...lmao.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:28 PM
TANK'S 250
Intermediate

Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by yljkt
I'm kind of shocked, Tank. Its not a diesel...lmao.
I guess you know me from somewhere else huh?...LOL

Old 07-21-2010, 01:12 PM
TANK'S 250
Intermediate

215 views...3 responses...not many suggestions.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:14 PM
TANK'S 250
Intermediate

Anyone recommend a loud set of pipes?

I was looking at Basanni true duals...anyone already have them?

Old 07-21-2010, 01:25 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

can't comment on the bisanni's on a touring bike. I know that they were loud as hell on one guys Fat Boy that I know. Rheinhart seems to be the way to go for the tru HD sound that is somewhat loud. Vance and Hines is another option. The monster ovals and Monster rounds are mellow but the other options with their true dual headers might be an option.

Try hitting up Dr Vtwin as he sells a lot of different brands and or Jamie for thier opinions as they have seen a lot. Just send them a PM....

The reason for 215 views on this forum is the key word Honda.... goes over like a brick here.

One thing you are going to have to come to grips with a bit is that a Fuel injected bike is not going to sound like an old carbed pre-twin cam bike at idle. They can be made much louder off idle and can sound great. Thing is on the forums everyones opinion of a great sound of exhaust differes from others. It's sort of like which seat is the most comfortable. Opinions vary greatly.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:31 PM
FLHXterp
Tourer

Bassani pipes are great, but as stated, it's an opinion thing (I have them and love them).

Getting in touch with Jamie at Fuel Moto will also answer a lot of your questions and concerns.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:14 PM
yljkt
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TANK'S 250
Thanks guys!

I guess you know me from somewhere else huh?...LOL
The org. The nation. The garage.

Quick Reply: Sounds like a Honda....Helppp!