Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF? Throttle chirping all by itself!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 07:13 AM
SixSixRider
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default WTF? Throttle chirping all by itself!

Here's the situation - '09 FLTR: Riding along (different gears, speeds, rpms) and suddenly without ANY involvement from me, the engine revs for a split second and then everything is fine. This even happened once while idling when my hand wasn't even on the throttle. While riding, the bike will lurch forward slightly due to the increased power and then everything is back to normal. This hasn't caused me any problems, but I could see it happening at a bad time or having this split-second change turn into a longer increase in power!! This just started in the past couple of weeks - no changes have been made to the bike during this period. Ideas??? I'm not even sure where to start looking. BTW, there are no stored trouble codes either!

Old 07-20-2010, 07:21 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior

Mine did this and it drove me nuts trying to find it.

You wont believe what it was - the clutch switch.

There is no reference to it in the electrical service manual or the super tuner manual, but the fuel or ignition or throttle by wire maps must change when the clutch is pulled in.

I had a bad clutch switch and my bike would surge as the switch opened and closed over bumps etc. drove me nuts. If it does it in 6th gear your 6th gear light will go out at the same time as the surge happens.

Let me know if this is it!

Edit - BTW you wont get any codes unless the clutch switch stays in the closed position for more than 60 sec at more than 10mph.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:41 AM
SixSixRider
Club Member

Originally Posted by kingkingking
Mine did this and it drove me nuts trying to find it.

You wont believe what it was - the clutch switch.

There is no reference to it in the electrical service manual or the super tuner manual, but the fuel or ignition or throttle by wire maps must change when the clutch is pulled in.

I had a bad clutch switch and my bike would surge as the switch opened and closed over bumps etc. drove me nuts. If it does it in 6th gear your 6th gear light will go out at the same time as the surge happens.

Let me know if this is it!

Edit - BTW you wont get any codes unless the clutch switch stays in the closed position for more than 60 sec at more than 10mph.
King - I THINK YOU HIT ON SOMETHING!! I didn't mention it as I thought it was unrelated, but I have been getting one code - b1154 (clutch switch going to ground). But this code happening & the check engine light coming on didn't seem to align with the chirping throttle. It would occur and no code & no light. So I figured they weren't related!!

Was the switch bad in your case, or was it a compromised wire in the left switch housing? I put chrome switch housings on last winter.....months ago, but I could certainly see how compromising a wire could happen.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:04 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior

Well, thats great to hear. I think we have found the answer. I got the B1154 code too, but only after a few weeks of the problem occuring. The B1154 code only comes up after 60 sec, so the check engine light will come on 60 sec after the clutch switch stays on continuously and the surge occurs, and therefore the surge and the code appear unrelated.

The surge was really scary with the 124 - she would lurch forward and it was really worrying. Very uncomfortable too on the freeway.

On my bike the switch itself was bad. it is a cheap and nasty plastic thing, a 10c part for the production line. I would expect thats your problem, not the wiring.

Last edited by kingkingking; 07-20-2010 at 04:09 PM.