Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Do I Keep This Thing Clean

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 12:47 AM
mailmanhugh
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question How Do I Keep This Thing Clean

The wife and I just returned from a 2,361 mile trip on the Ultra. This was our "maiden voyage" and man did the poor bike get dirty. I noticed other guys riding various kinds of Harleys (and other bikes) and they managed to keep them clean miles and miles from home. A little sprayin' a little wipin' and they're clean. Meanwhile my bike is looking like a bug catching dirt bike.

Here's the question: What do you guys do out on a road trip (or even home between washes) to keep your bikes shining like a new penny?

Another related question: How can you get some stains off the chrome on your exhaust pipes?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:55 AM
bradrosewood
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck with that but that is a very pretty bike.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:58 AM
2nd Mike
Tourer

Last year I went through a lot of road construction in Yellowstone and my bike looked like I'd been in the mud drags!!

Hit the car wash and detail it with some lemon pledge.It's cheap!

I just tried the 50/50 mix of water and hydrogen peroxide for bugs and I couldn't believe how well that worked!

On the road it will never look 100% clean but you can at least keep it respectable!

Old 07-20-2010, 01:03 AM
dailydriver
Road Captain

you can have miles or you can have clean....I'll take the miles anyday..wear the dirt and grime like a badge of honor

Old 07-20-2010, 01:05 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

When out on the road: spray it off at a car wash from time to time (careful where you spray). Some use Pledge, works pretty good. I've used a product called "UltraLuster", it is a waterless wash, works pretty good. Always use micro fiber clothes. Not supposed to scratch the paint, I really don't know how it keeps from it. I have a black bike also and I have some swirls in it. Don't know if it is from using UltraLuster or not. I was going to use the new wax from Turtle Wax that is made for black paint to fill in the swirls, but haven't got around to it yet. I have decided without a whole lot of time cleaning and polishing, a black bike is a pain to keep show room shiney all the time, so I've quit trying. It looks good to the average person most of the time and even to me from a few feet away. I bought it to ride not to clean anyway.

+1 on the peroxide. (forgot about that) I've used it and it works! Bad thing about peroxide away from home, you are supposed to keep it in the dark bottle and not let it get too hot or it goes bad. (I think that is what I read on the bottle.)

Last edited by mike5511; 07-20-2010 at 01:09 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:07 AM
catracho
Road Captain

I recomend you to buy a product name Kleen Kote.

You use one part of Kleen Kote for eleven parts of water.

First you wash normally your bike then dry it.
Then apply the solution with a sprayer and when is still wet you buff and wipe off.
For cleaning the bike after a ride, you have to directly apply with a sprayer and wipe off. You don´t need to wash the bike. Nothing is going to stick to your bike.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:19 AM
mickymoto
Tourer

Ride, wash, wax, Ride, wash, wax... & for the stains on your pipes...blue magic metal polish cream, then meguiars hot rims chrome polish. I find the more I wax my bike the easier it is to keep clean

Old 07-20-2010, 01:28 AM
jackhis
Road Warrior

I travel across the country every year, and what I have done is to apply the bike thoroughly with a good layer of Turtle wax, before the trip. Nothing will stick to your bike. I will wash the bike at the destination, and everything is looked as new.
Of course, the windshield has to be cleaned at least one a day, even twice a day during the trip.
I have learned the hydro peroxide, and I will try it on the metal parts next time.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:38 AM
2nd Mike
Tourer

+1 on a good coat of wax before you leave.......I assumed you already had that '-)

Old 07-20-2010, 03:41 AM
Meathook
Cruiser

I carry some trash towels that I can get soaked and lay over the wind screen and bat wing - loosens the bugs up after 15 minutes. I wring them out and put in a trash bag.

A week ago got caught in a downpour on The Parkway - the bike looked like snot! When I got home I cleaned it on successive days and it is beginning to look good again. Still need to get rust out of exhaust pipes (stock).

I've been impressed with the S-Series wax Harley pushes. My wife bought me some and it looks good and the bugs don't seem to stick as hard.

Quick Reply: How Do I Keep This Thing Clean