Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diamondback - 190+ curves in 12 miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 11:37 AM
TRUBRIT
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Diamondback - 190+ curves in 12 miles

Any feedback on this road? I had not heard of it before. Near Little Switzerland in NC. Just off the BRP.
http://www.diamondbacknc.com/

Old 07-19-2010, 11:54 AM
lowglidin
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I have rode it. Great ride up the mountain. You stay in the curves the whole way.

If you want another exciting rode try 16 from Marion, VA to Beckly WV.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:03 PM
ktm990
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try to stay away from the centerline. There are a lot of idiots hoping to prove their manhood by breaking some record. Much more of this on weekends and in the evenings for the more local riders. Also more than one flatlander has missed a turn due to a hypnotic effect called tunneling.

It's a fun road with lots of places to pull off and enjoy the scenery. One of the benefits of pushing a touring rig through the turns is getting more comfortable with rapid changes of direction and scraping the hardware (if you want, it is an option). Some of the skills needed for emergency maneuvers can be practiced on these kinds of roads. And you can get your picture taken by several pros that stand beside the road with really expensive cameras. When you get to the end you can purchase prints.

Be aware that the police may choose to hang out there on the same day you arrive. I've hustled through there at speeds to honor all ticket writers but never seen a cop. But the wrecks and deaths, every year, cost money and Tennessee especially is tired of footing the bill for air lifting the unfortunate.

But one really cool thing about riding there and in the mountains of north Georgia is this: the cage drivers never, ever cross the line. Well trained and scared.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:39 PM
TRUBRIT
Tourer

Thanks. I have done the Dragon, Hellbender, etc. numerous times but had not heard of this road. The Lake James loop looks interesting. Thanks again for the feedback.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:40 PM
TRUBRIT
Tourer

Lowglidin, know what you mean about 16. Rode from Tazewell down to Boone area. Tricky road. I liked it.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:56 PM
hawg20
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ride this road (226A) quite often. It is a great ride if climbing the mt. but be careful if riding down. There are a few curves that tend to push you to the out-side on exit of the curve and there is NO ROOM FOR ERROR! Most curves are banked just right. RT181 is a great ride, smooth, plenty of areas to pass slow drivers and the speed limit is fast enought for the baggers to enjoy the ride. The Highway Patrol works this road to keep the crotch-rockets in check.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It is a great ride if climbing the mt. but be careful if riding down. There are a few curves that tend to push you to the out-side on exit of the curve and there is NO ROOM FOR ERROR!
That is some good advice. I first traveled this road with a small group when I was still a fairly new rider, less than 4 month's experience. We were going through a decreasing radius turn, down hill and I got a bit of "target fixation" on the white line on the right side of the road. Rode that white line for 10 feet or so and it scared the hell out of me. I was riding in the back of the pack and looking back on the situation, I was probably riding over my own personal limits trying to keep a tight group.

I've been back several times and ridden the area with much more confidence and success. I do enjoy 226a more going up the mountain than down it.