Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo cuts out

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 04:48 PM
BUSTERK
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo cuts out

I have an 02 EGC and over the last three weeks the speddo, odometer and trip meter intermittantly stop. All the other gauges keep working fine. Does not seem to make a difference if it is hot, dry or wet. The bike has 56,000 on the clock. Anyone have any clues? Thought I would ask before I take something apart I don't need to or buy something I don't have to. Thanks for any suggestions. Doug

Old 07-18-2010, 05:12 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,230 Likes on 1,845 Posts

How are the turn signals? They self cancelling like they are supposed to? Could be the speed sensor needs replacing.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:59 PM
Craig4711a
Cruiser

pull the bezel off, unplug spedo and tach, and check the pins.... plug back in. May be a high resistant connection on the pins......

Old 07-19-2010, 12:19 PM
chipishere
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just had this problem on my 01 RK. Pull the speed sensor out of the transmission and clean the metal shavings off of it. Seems to have cured mine.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:48 PM
BigAlsRK
Road Master

Yep....speed sensor...I'd just replace it...easy job

Old 07-20-2010, 07:22 AM
bikefxds
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 13 Posts

We had 02 E-glide Standards. My speedo started doing it at around 70K. You can try the speedo sensor cleaning trick as mentioned above and it may work for awhile. I went through 2 new sensors with no luck. I finally swapped out my wife's speedo with mine for a couple of hundred miles and it was in fact the speedo. It was a drag 'cause I used the mileage for all my fluid changes. Ultimately you're gonna need a new speedo($300 + from HD!) Or you can take a chance with a used one. You're mileage will not read the same of course, but at least you'll be able to know your speed and have a trip meter once again...more HD ingenuity for sure!

Old 07-20-2010, 03:28 PM
ictdog
Intermediate

I had the same problem with the turn signal cancellation quitting and the AVS cutting out on the radio also. Everyone said to replace the speed sensor, so after cleaning the old one and seeing that that did nothing, I bought the new one from HD for $50 and that did nothing also. Then I saw on another forum that the electric diagnostics check could lead you to the issue. I did the speedo check and found that the second code "d02see" was showing...service manual indicates that a short is present.

Please note that all of my issues are present when the temperature is warm or the bike gets hot...this does not happen when it's cold outside. So my guess is a wiring short issue. I had seen another post a while ago that mention this and they traced the short back to a bundle of wires running under the tank along the backbone. Can anyone else remember this? I am waiting for lousy weather before I attempt to dismantle the gas tank because I love to ride to work. So, I am hoping someone might give me a little guidance on this issue or how to find the less than noticeable kinked wire short...

Old 07-20-2010, 04:44 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,230 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by ictdog
I had the same problem with the turn signal cancellation quitting and the AVS cutting out on the radio also. Everyone said to replace the speed sensor, so after cleaning the old one and seeing that that did nothing, I bought the new one from HD for $50 and that did nothing also. Then I saw on another forum that the electric diagnostics check could lead you to the issue. I did the speedo check and found that the second code "d02see" was showing...service manual indicates that a short is present.

Please note that all of my issues are present when the temperature is warm or the bike gets hot...this does not happen when it's cold outside. So my guess is a wiring short issue. I had seen another post a while ago that mention this and they traced the short back to a bundle of wires running under the tank along the backbone. Can anyone else remember this? I am waiting for lousy weather before I attempt to dismantle the gas tank because I love to ride to work. So, I am hoping someone might give me a little guidance on this issue or how to find the less than noticeable kinked wire short...
A lot of wiring problems that occurr in wire bundles happen where the MOCO zipties the loom to the frame. You might check there. That is where my ABS sensor wire was found broken.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:11 PM
BUSTERK
Advanced

Well, pulled the sensor out and cleaned off the "filings", wiring looks to be OK and the connections are tight. Just went out for 40 miles and it was fine for most of it then it started cutting out again. This time, however, it did not stay out long but did it more often. All other gauges are fine as well as the turn signals and the self cancellers. So I guess I'll have to work my way up the food chain. Is there any way to test the sensor? I can get along without the speedo but I miss the trip meter cause it's my fuel gauge. The one on the dash is so erratic I feel like replacing it with the allmost as useless ambient temp gauge. Who the hell thinks up this crap anyway! Plastic cam chain tensioners, ambient air temp gauges and a fuel gauge that could double as a sinker. Oops, sorry, fell into a rant. I apologize! Ride Safe, Doug