Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

auto tune what AFR do you set??

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 07:24 AM
tincup64
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

subscribed

Old 07-20-2010, 01:30 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks to Jamie and Gordon65 for clearing that up. I was wondering how SEST was specifying AFR's above 50% TP when the stock O2 sensors can't read in that area. As a curiosity, I'm running 14.5-14.6 in the cruise range, similar to what Gordon is running with his setup, and am not having any transition problems running 13.0 at WOT. Since I'm running the PCV-AT, is this comparing apples and oranges?

Old 07-20-2010, 03:17 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,165 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Thanks to Jamie and Gordon65 for clearing that up. I was wondering how SEST was specifying AFR's above 50% TP when the stock O2 sensors can't read in that area. As a curiosity, I'm running 14.5-14.6 in the cruise range, similar to what Gordon is running with his setup, and am not having any transition problems running 13.0 at WOT. Since I'm running the PCV-AT, is this comparing apples and oranges?
As noted earlier the PC-V uses a demanded AFR table while SEST/SERT/TTS have an AFR lookup table. The AFR in these calibrations is only used as a mathematical representation, however if the VE tables are synchronized correctly (such as on a dyno with a Wideband O2 sensor) the AFR table is actually an accurate representation of actual AFR. Note, even then the AFR is calculated not sampled unless it is set at 14.6:1 or its Lamda equivelent in the calibration

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 07-20-2010, 11:59 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
It should vary depending on RPM and TP. In the cruise range (2000-3000 RPMs) I have mine set at 14.4 @ 5%, 14.6 @ 10%, and 14.5 @ 15%. I have a map switch and can revert to my rich map when extra cooling is needed, but that doesn't happen often. I taper the AFRs from 20-60% and have it set at 13:1 at 80-100%. With this strategy the bike runs great at roll-on and and mileage is very good once I get out of the city. I've never gotten great mileage in town with this bike (~37mpg) but highway is typically 48-50mpg at 55mph. I've never hit 50mpg with E10, however. I could set the transition range (20-60%) leaner but doing that causes a flat sensation until you hit 80%, much like what you feel with an old four-barrel carb. Power transitions are excellent the way I have it set now with no flat-spots or other flaws.

You should set 80-100% at 13-13.2:1 for maximum power. If anyone's interested in some light (?) reading, I did a write-up on setting-up the PCV-AT with a hardware switch to achieve maximum mileage, cooling, and power here.
Thanks for posting the link. I've got that one saved to my desktop for future reference. I'm curious about one thing though, why the one to two tenths differences you mention between 5 and 20% throttle? I mean, 14.4 at 5%, 14.6 at 10% and 14.5 at 20%? I can't imagine you'll actually feel that or notice it making a difference in fuel economy. I would have thought just going 14.5 to 14.6 across the board in those throttle ranges for simplicities sake if nothing else? Just wondering!

I'm considering upgrading my Stage 1 conversion to AT. It's not that I'm looking to make that many more changes to the engine itself although I am strongly considering a 6-6 cam swap. I think it's cool to be able to specify an actual fuel ratio as apposed to just looking at the +/- adjustments on the standard tables, which sometimes look convoluted to me. (?)

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

PS: I'm on an Ultra as apposed to your Street Glide so I'm pulling around a bit more weight but if I could get my touring mileage consistantly up into the mid 40's, much less the upper 40's you mention, I'd be "thrilled!!"

Old 07-21-2010, 12:19 AM
BillyG0856
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tincup64
subscribed
Me too!!!

Old 07-21-2010, 05:05 AM
HD101st
Tourer

Well i fooled around a little more and went 14 in 0-30%, 13.9 40-60%, 13.8 70-100% will let you know after i ride it

Old 07-21-2010, 08:49 AM
bamarider
Tourer

I have PCV with auto tune. I actually bought Jamies setup when it was first released. I have tried all the AFR settings. I have used ICLICK's advice and it is very good on the settings. In fact ICLICK's advice has been so usefull for me, thanks so much ICLICK. But with all my riding, changing the setting was to take care of the heat. My AFR settings are now 13.4 and below. It has made a difference in the heat. Also initially the mileage suffered but the autotune slowly changed it. I now get 40mpg and a cool ride. Also at these settings the bike runs so good I have decided to leave it alone. Why I initially changed the setting was to set up 2 maps like Iclick's. After running a 1000 miles using the 13.4 and below settings I have decided to just leave it alone. I totally understand why someone wants a little more mpg but to save $2.00? I now have over 5,000 miles with AFR's below 13.4. I am totally so much happier with my map now than I have ever been! I also have to thank Jamie for his help on these changes. It is nice to pick a phone and give him a call.

Last edited by bamarider; 07-21-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:52 AM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

subscribed

Old 07-21-2010, 02:24 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Intrepid175
Thanks for posting the link. I've got that one saved to my desktop for future reference. I'm curious about one thing though, why the one to two tenths differences you mention between 5 and 20% throttle? I mean, 14.4 at 5%, 14.6 at 10% and 14.5 at 20%? I can't imagine you'll actually feel that or notice it making a difference in fuel economy. I would have thought just going 14.5 to 14.6 across the board in those throttle ranges for simplicities sake if nothing else? Just wondering!
When I had the stock cams I had it set for 14.7 from 5-15% in the cruise range, which worked fine. OTOH the SE255 cams were having some trouble with 14.7 and I was getting occasional hesitation just off-idle at low-TPs, so I tried bumping it richer to 14.5 and this fixed the problem. Later on I tried going to 14.6 at 10%, which is about where the bike cruises up to about 60mph. I've had it set there for a while, but recently bumped it richer to 14.4 at 5% to get rid of some of the gurgling and minor surging I was getting in that no-load region. That didn't help the situation much but I haven't changed it and it doesn't bother me enough to richen it more. When I switch to my rich base map all this disappears, so somewhere between 13.5 and 14.4 is the no-gurgle sweet-spot, but again it isn't a big enough issue to pursue it further. It's going to do that set that lean in no-load conditions and it doesn't hurt anything.

I'm considering upgrading my Stage 1 conversion to AT. It's not that I'm looking to make that many more changes to the engine itself although I am strongly considering a 6-6 cam swap. I think it's cool to be able to specify an actual fuel ratio as apposed to just looking at the +/- adjustments on the standard tables, which sometimes look convoluted to me.
Jamie sells the 6-6 cams and has good maps available for it with most applications, so IMO AT isn't an absolute necessity. OTOH, life doesn't roll along dictated solely by necessity. It is a nice upgrade, though, if you have a configuration that has no map already available for it. It's also nice if you're an addicted tweaker like I am, as it makes getting the AFR's you want a much more precise proposition than before.

[/quote]I'm on an Ultra as apposed to your Street Glide so I'm pulling around a bit more weight but if I could get my touring mileage consistantly up into the mid 40's, much less the upper 40's you mention, I'd be "thrilled!!" [/QUOTE]

If I can get upper-40s I think you could too, that is if you can keep your wrist out of the throttle and ride solo. If you want to run the AFRs as lean as I do in the cruise range I would advise getting an oil cooler to keep the peak OT's in control. Even if you didn't run it this lean I would still recommend a cooler, as IMO all TC engines need one.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:48 PM
road_king_rob
Tourer

I usually tune mine to the classic rock or 80's stations. Wait - what was the question again?

Quick Reply: auto tune what AFR do you set??