Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Tweeter or Not to Tweeter??

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 02:39 PM
banks727
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Tweeter or Not to Tweeter??

I just installed the J&M 7.25's with the Elf 2125 amp on my 09 FLHX. I'm thinking of adding the tweeter pod. I've done a search but it's painfull to read all of the posts on speakers to find anything about the tweeter pod.

I'm just interested to hear what people think of the tweeter pod with a similar setup. Is this something I'll notice a big difference with or not?

Thanks

Banks

Old 07-18-2010, 03:06 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

I thought the J&M 7.25" speakers came with a tweeter and midrange built in to the grill?

Old 07-18-2010, 04:51 PM
dailydriver
Road Captain

I had Hogtune speakers and the tweeter bar on my 09 before the upgrade to an Arc Audio amp and their 6 1/2" component speakers with a Sony marine head unit...I felt the tweeter bar helped the hogtune speakers a little but not worth the cost plus you have to drill 4 holes in your inner fairing and once the tweeter bar comes of the holes need to be plugged... and it's not an invisable repair, plus hogtunes doesn't use a crossover to project the frequencies each speaker can handle they give all the speakers the same shot and simply kill the frequencies that are out of range...makes for a higher signal to noise ratio..If you are not going to get a true component speaker complete with crossovers I would pass on the tweeter bar...

Old 07-18-2010, 04:52 PM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior

Don't have the tweeter pod, but have tweeters in two upper gauge holes along with the J&M 7.25's and ARC amp. It sounds great! The tweeters just add to it all. The tweeters were from a previous component speaker set up I had. I'm glad I kept them!

Old 07-18-2010, 05:27 PM
azmachinist
Advanced

I have the 7.25 J&M speakers and the J&M amp on a 2009 street glide with stock radio.
I added the tweeter pod and it made quite a bit of difference. No regrets here.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:29 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got the Hogtune Tweeter Pod on my '09 Ultra Classic. It sounds so much better that stock speaker only.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:07 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

The HT tweeter pod, due to its location (higher and closer than the fairing speakers) is very noticeable when added. Whether that's a good thing or not seems to my ear to depend on the music I'm listening to since it can, and does, overwhelm whatever base or mid-range is in the music. If I get ambitious I'll see about installing a gain control or potentiometer to allow adjustment of the tweeters in the pod to turn down the volume of the tweeter pods when it does overwhelm the sound from the fairing speakers.

I have Infinity Reference 6.5" speakers, Arc 125.2, Hk head unit, and the HT pod.

Suggestion: Ride the bike with the new speakers you have and see if you like what you have.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:47 PM
pauletich
Road Master

I just added them to my 07 FLHX about 1 month ago, I have had the 7.25's for a while. It sounds a little better, maybe a little more clear at highway speeds but did not get the "oh my God" out of them. Are they worth the money? I probably would not do it again but whats done is done.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:21 PM
VINNIE JAMES
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what does the back of the speaker look like? and the stock ones? thanks,vinnie

Old 07-18-2010, 09:12 PM
YtseJam
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Thumbs up over here, really happy with them. Not only do they sound great, most people who see them think they're stock. Installation is easy, definately do it again.

Quick Reply: To Tweeter or Not to Tweeter??