Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice On Crossing Nevada

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 10:37 AM
mrhappy999
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice On Crossing Nevada

We are planning trip from Omaha to Yosemite Park, CA in 1 1/2 weeks. Trip route on way out will be thru Salt Lake across to Reno on I-80. Dropping down and Spending a couple days in Yosemite area. The problem is the route on the trip back, don't want to go back the same way. I know it will be Blazing Hot, lived in Phoenix for a year. Question is how to cross Nevada on a more southern route. Will be leaving from Bishop, CA and would like to end up in St. Georges, UT area. Not sure which route is "smarter", going Hwy 6 to Tonopah and then 375(Extraterrestrial Hwy) to Ash Springs and drop down to I-15. Or cross over and go thru Beatty, NV on Hwy 95 and hit I-15 in Vegas.
Unsure of gas situation, watering hole stops,and if were still standing, scenic value.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:45 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you've lived in Arizona before, you know how hot it can get. I would only ride through the Southern part of Nevada in the wee hours of the morning or at night. I ended up riding through Needles California in the middle of the day once and it was brutally hot. That was a lesson learned.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:45 AM
D2R
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe you can work Highway 50 in across Nevada.IMO the most scenic."The lonliest hiway in America".I took it across Nevada a couple of weeks ago heading to the Oregon Coast.Great Basin NP,Lehman Caves,around Ely.Stay at the Nevada Hotel there,biker friendly.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:04 AM
ahoxsey
Novice

I live in Vegas. If your going to ride in the day make sure you wear plenty of clothing. If your not in a hurry, i would take the 395 south to the 168 out the 266 and then go north on the 95 to the 6/95 out to 375 ET highway.when you get to the 93 its a nice ride through Caliente up to Panaca. From there you can take the 56 into Utah. I have made this ride but never in the middle of summer. Stay hydrated and keep the rubber side down.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:09 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by D2R
Maybe you can work Highway 50 in across Nevada.IMO the most scenic."The lonliest hiway in America".I took it across Nevada a couple of weeks ago heading to the Oregon Coast.Great Basin NP,Lehman Caves,around Ely.Stay at the Nevada Hotel there,biker friendly.
Im leaving Thursday morning headed to Durango, going 50 thru nrv, southern UT. Any suggestions to look out for or essential stops on 50 in NV? Were going to be going thru during mid morning and afternoon.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:14 PM
Mikind7
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by D2R
+1 Hwy 50

Old 07-18-2010, 01:11 PM
LV_EOD
Advanced

I'm a NV rider as well. 375 (ET Highway) is incredibly boring in my opinion. I'd take 395 south out of Bishop (gas), west on 168 at Big Pine (gas) and head into NV via 266 to Lida Junction. The jaunt from Big Pine to Lida Junction is a nice ride. South 95 to Beatty (gas) and on into Vegas. There's construction goin on south of Indian Springs, but it's well marked and no detours (except a lil exit kinda bypass for a new overpass, no stopping tho) Take the Durango exit in Vegas and get onto the Beltway to bypass the dreaded 95/I15 tangle. The beltway will take you right to 15 north.

Get a cooling vest, the sort you soak in water for a bit then put on. They are amazing and do a great job of keeping your core temperature cool. Be safe.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:26 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikind7
+1 Hwy 50
I did Hwy 50 back from Sturgis last year from Delta, UT to Reno, NV. It is a beautiful ride with little traffic. Yes, it's hot but you go up and over several passes where it cools off considerably. There is gas where you need it at a couple of the passes.

You MUST have a drink holder on your bike to keep fluids in. Long sleeve white T-shirt and plenty of sun screen. If you wear a half helmet, get a tinted face shield.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:39 PM
Tripleshot
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lv EOD has the perfect choice. That ride from big pine to the junction is worth the price of admission. Twisty as a pretzel. Take it in early morning. You are going to have a fantastic memorable adventure worth every moment spent. Maybe check out the ghost town outside Bridgeport,Ca. Lots of biker history in Bridgeport. Go to the bread store in Bishop.

We will see you in St. George at Zion Harley.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:27 PM
LV_EOD
Advanced

Originally Posted by bagman1
Im leaving Thursday morning headed to Durango, going 50 thru nrv, southern UT. Any suggestions to look out for or essential stops on 50 in NV? Were going to be going thru during mid morning and afternoon.
If you're taking that route, Eureka is way cool...a nice little whistle stop of a town with an incredibly large amount of old old old cemeteries. Lots of history there. Wet your face and fill your bike. Be safe.

Quick Reply: Advice On Crossing Nevada