Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Northern Montana/Idaho Riders - need your advice..

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 03:50 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Northern Montana/Idaho Riders - need your advice..

Just finished my quest to be able to say I have ridden in all 50 states... Of course - rode more in some and less in others. I am now plotting a ride to take me up 395 from Yosemite - through eastern OR and WA - and up to the top of Idaho - back down 95 > 200 >90>12>95>55 through Boise and back to Winnamucca and back to CA (Home)

Here is my question (Besides what routes you might take) Lastest I can ride and stay away from COLD/Snow..

I love Sept - Tired of the heat... want to wait but don't want to experence what I found last Oct 10 in Fort Collins, CO - 6 inches of Snow and I-80 in Cheyenne was Closed...

IF you were planning this ride and wanted to avoid the Heat and any chance of Snow - what dates would you look at??

Thanks,,

Old 07-17-2010, 04:42 PM
D2R
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats.on all 50 states,I've got 18 more to go including Alaska and Hawaii.Hope Hawaii will be my last one when I retire in 3 years.Plan on the 2nd honeymoon and a fly and ride over there.There's no guarantees in the weather up here in Sept.4 years ago I rode over to the Ore.coast the 3rd week of Sept.,great weather going over.Rain and snow mix in the Blue mountains in E. Oregon.Snowed in for 2 days in Pocatello,Idaho.I'd think you'd be fairly safe the first part of Sept. although you can expect to see temp. down to freezing or lower.I'd go 3rd or 4th week of Aug. but no later than the 2nd week of Sept.The early storms don't last more than a day or 2 and warm back up,just depends on how much time you have to ride if you have to wait one out somwhere.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:01 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks,,

I am planning on spending the first few days of Street Vib in Reno (Sept 21/22) Might try to plan it out where I end up there on those days.. If I do it the reverse - it would put me up at the Canadian border around the last week of Sept????????? may be too late -- Cold is ok as long as its not much below 40 but snow is NOT fun....

Old 07-17-2010, 05:59 PM
D2R
Banned

That's what I'd do end up in Reno.395 to Lakeview,Ore.31 to Bend,26 to Baker City,86 to Enterprise,129 to Lewiston.Id,95 to Bonner's Ferry,2 to Kallispell Mt.(Glacier Park If you haven't been there)although in Sept. it may not be open.93 all the way down to Ely Nv. 50 to Reno.If it's getting too cold up north 12 east out of Lewiston to Lolo Mt. and south on 93.It's a crapshoot as far as hitting snow,but will definately be dipping down to freezing and lower in the am so bring your electric gear.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:16 PM
BurgundyUltra06
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by D2R
That's what I'd do end up in Reno.395 to Lakeview,Ore.31 to Bend,26 to Baker City,86 to Enterprise,129 to Lewiston.Id,95 to Bonner's Ferry,2 to Kallispell Mt.(Glacier Park If you haven't been there)although in Sept. it may not be open.93 all the way down to Ely Nv. 50 to Reno.If it's getting too cold up north 12 east out of Lewiston to Lolo Mt. and south on 93.It's a crapshoot as far as hitting snow,but will definately be dipping down to freezing and lower in the am so bring your electric gear.
Good suggestion here; given the options above, I'd vote for route 12 from Lewiston, ID to Lolo, MT. Great ride that one is.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:52 PM
GBFLHX
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hwy 12, ID

+1 on Hwy 12 between Lewiston and Lolo pass. All time best riding road, and I was riding in the heavy rain storm, too.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:58 PM
DBlass
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The trick is to stay low in elevation. Bend to Enterprise to Lewiston "might" have cool/cold weather since this year has been cold and wet since April. I would stay on US97 to The Dalles, and cross over the Columbia to WA14. Stay on SR14 to US12 and stay on US12 to Lewiston. If the weather is good, go over Lolo Pass or go north to Bonners Ferry (as suggested) and get on US 2. Both are great rides.

As a note (I live in Portland) Indian Summer usually lasts until Oct 15. Before that, you should be dry and the T-storms are over). After that date, all bets are off. Still, in elevation, as you know, anything can happen.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:28 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Watch out on Highway 55 in Idaho, it's a twisty thing and people drive like they're in a Formula 1 race. But it is a gorgeous ride throw there. Late Sept can be rather chilly north of Boise (high elevation) but only first thing in the morning

Old 07-20-2010, 09:43 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

Would like some input on this route - not set in stone, need advice / realistic or not, worth while or not.

Leaving on Sept.

basicly following 395 north then east up to Bonners Ferry then senic route to Boise then on to Reno

Day

1 - Turlock, Ca (over Yosemite pass) to Carson City

2 - Carson City to Lake View, Oregon

3 - Lake View, OR to Walla Walla

4 - Walla Walla to Bonners Ferry

5 - Bonners Ferry to Missoula, MT (by way of Troy & Saint Regis)

6 - Missoula To Grangeville, ID

7 - Grangeville to Boise

8 - Boise to Winnemucca

9 - Winn to Reno, for street Vibrations.

I have NO experence with Eastern OR/WA or northern ID/MT

any advice on Do's or Don't wanted.

Thanks

Old 07-20-2010, 10:19 PM
D2R
Banned

It'll be a nice ride.Honestly never ridden on a bad 2 lane in Idaho,Oregon,Montana,Nevada or California.The best ones are the ones you've never been on. I'll be in Lewiston,Id. a week from Friday.Meeting some friends from the Portland area who've never been to Glacier Park,From there we're going over the Cascades to Seattle and down to Portland so I'll be on some of the roads you're going on.Left June 18th for Smokey Mt. Natl. Park and then to the Ore. Coast 17 days 6900 miles. Saw a lot of great country back east for the first time.

Quick Reply: Northern Montana/Idaho Riders - need your advice..