Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual says should be in 6th gear at 55 is this right?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010 | 06:44 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JimTJr
Well I wear a half helmet, open ears. I use PREMIUM fuel every time I fill up. (Gotta admit, I didn't on my 88Cid 2000 Softail.) But on this one I do as HD asks,, LOL.
I have rolled onto the throttle on the highway EVEN when I felt I was "Lugging" the motor... and never heard pinging,,,, I am certainly NOT saying your bike doesn't do it... just never experienced it on mine yet.

You're a lucky man!

We now have 10% Ethanol in this screwed up state, as well as many others and it absolutely sucks! I still have some ping even with Ethanol Free 93, so I'm leaning more towards a lousy tune! I have a TTS and was wondering if going into a specified RPM range and remove some timing would help..

Old 07-17-2010 | 06:54 PM
drukanfu
Supporter

Originally Posted by JimTJr
I shift when it needs it,,, different circumstances need different gears! Use your experience to shift, He!! remember when no Harley had a tach? You had to use your ear!
Totally agree, well put.

Old 07-17-2010 | 08:40 PM
tonemachine
Novice

I'm a new Harley rider but an avid long-time motorcyclist. Nobody on the first page mentioned the obvious... In case nobody later mentioned it, manuals across the board seem to suggest the LOWEST CRUISING SPEED for a given gear. The speeds listed aren't for any acceleration or climbing at all. As someone mentioned, "the bitch will ping like crazy" if you try to advance the throttle. As was also mentioned, use your ears and you seem to already know this for second-guessing the 55 recommendation in the first place.

Ride Safe!

Old 07-17-2010 | 09:41 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by tonemachine
I'm a new Harley rider but an avid long-time motorcyclist. Nobody on the first page mentioned the obvious... In case nobody later mentioned it, manuals across the board seem to suggest the LOWEST CRUISING SPEED for a given gear. The speeds listed aren't for any acceleration or climbing at all. As someone mentioned, "the bitch will ping like crazy" if you try to advance the throttle. As was also mentioned, use your ears and you seem to already know this for second-guessing the 55 recommendation in the first place.

Ride Safe!

Your first quote was from me and mine pinged from day one! Now it's worse, for what I believe to be two reasons, 1) **** for gas 2) needs a better tune to try to eliminate it, but can't find anyone knowledgeable in my area to do it, let alone take the time to do it right.. I've played with shift pattern, wound out the gears more to see if it helped, which it did, a little, but you shouldn't have to ride it like a two stroke to do it! Most ping is eliminated if I shift at or above 3500 R's from 4th to 6th. I don't think I should need to do that. I doubt most here shift at that RPM on a Harley! If I'm wrong, somebody please correct me..

Old 07-17-2010 | 11:06 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by BlockHead96
OK, gotta say this and gotta ask this, what type of helmets you guys wearing?? I ask because if your ears are covered, you have no way in hell of hearing that ping! Expose those ears and ride as you say you do and listen. If you have to, tilt an ear toward the motor when you roll on the go and don't be a ***** when you roll it on! Tell me what you hear! Ping!
No ping. I do get it if I add 5° of ignition advance or higher in the cruise range, but mine is set to +3° and it is ping-free. Keep in mind late-model bikes have ion-discharge knock-sensing and will retard the timing when incipient knock is detected. You can hear it briefly when the throttle is rolled-on, that is when it exists.

Old 07-17-2010 | 11:07 PM
dohadex
Road Captain
Wink Same here...

Originally Posted by SoCal RK Rider
I think it's best to let the sound a feel of your motor dictate your gear,,, my '10 Road King doesn't like being in 6th unless I am at 70 +
+1 on the speed

Old 07-19-2010 | 10:21 AM
ubreal
|
Road Master

Mine use to ping when I had a power commander on the bike, I think that the tuner I use was no good. Then I bought a new pc and put in on my self and use the right map for my bike and it would still ping. But with a sert and thunder max and stock no pinging (pinging or pre detonation = bad) I suggest that you take I back to the tuner and let him know or do what Iclick says add 5° of ignition advance. Back to the subject I kept my bike’s tack around 3000 I just thought it was werd that the manual would say that.

Old 07-19-2010 | 10:39 AM
cezariomaia
Cruiser
Unhappy

You're a lucky man!

We now have 10% Ethanol in this screwed up state, as well as many others and it absolutely sucks! I still have some ping even with Ethanol Free 93, so I'm leaning more towards a lousy tune! I have a TTS and was wondering if going into a specified RPM range and remove some timing would help..
You north americans are a lucky people... here in Brazil, by law, we have a minimum of 24% ethanol mix...

Old 07-19-2010 | 10:45 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cezariomaia
You north americans are a lucky people... here in Brazil, by law, we have a minimum of 24% ethanol mix...

I'm sure that's coming here too, just when?

Old 07-19-2010 | 10:50 AM
cezariomaia
Cruiser
Unhappy

I'm sure that's coming here too, just when?
Really in a very short time. Brazil is selling zillions of liters to the USA...

Quick Reply: Manual says should be in 6th gear at 55 is this right?