Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual says should be in 6th gear at 55 is this right?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010 | 11:23 AM
rushbass
Ultimate HDF Member

The shift points listed in your specific manual are a good base point to start at... and of course they imply ideal conditions (i.e. - flat terrain / no incline, no heavy head wind, single rider under 200lbs, bike not loaded to max GVWR, etc.).

If all those conditions are met, and the manual says 6th gear at 55 mph (BTW, other models and years are geared differently, so one's manual might have different shift points listed than other's), then you are good to go - no harm, no foul...

If all of the conditions are not met, you should bump up the shift points up some, depending on riding conditions. For me, if I am going up a tall bridge / climbing a hill, riding two-up, etc. I like to stay around the rpm listed in my manual where max engine torque is developed.

Ride safe.

Old 07-17-2010 | 12:34 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by ubreal
I was looking at my manual and it say’s that I should be in 6th gear at 55. I do not understand this, to me this seams to slow of speed to be in that gear but the Harley manual say’s to.
With stock cams my bike didn't cruise well below about 62mph in 6th gear after IDS was installed, but I don't think you'd hurt anything running down to 55mph in low-load conditions--i.e., not up a hill or accelerating more than lightly. After I installed 255 cams these lower speeds now feel smoother and more compatible, and I often cruise at 55-60mph in 6th, again with little load on the engine. I downshift into 5th to accelerate or climb hills if RPM's are <2500 or so.

Keep in mind that when you are going a true 55mph your speedometer is probably indicating 57-58mph, or at least mine is, so I wonder if HD means a real or indicated speed.

Old 07-17-2010 | 03:30 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

OK, gotta say this and gotta ask this, what type of helmets you guys wearing?? I ask because if your ears are covered, you have no way in hell of hearing that ping! Expose those ears and ride as you say you do and listen. If you have to, tilt an ear toward the motor when you roll on the go and don't be a ***** when you roll it on! Tell me what you hear! Ping!

Old 07-17-2010 | 04:03 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member

On my '09 RK i don't go to 6th til at least 65 mph (it prefers 70 or above really) and that's only if level roadway and cruising steady. If passing, or uphill or loaded with gear then not less than 70 mph.

Old 07-17-2010 | 04:07 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by iclick
With stock cams my bike didn't cruise well below about 62mph in 6th gear after IDS was installed, but I don't think you'd hurt anything running down to 55mph in low-load conditions--i.e., not up a hill or accelerating more than lightly. After I installed 255 cams these lower speeds now feel smoother and more compatible, and I often cruise at 55-60mph in 6th, again with little load on the engine. I downshift into 5th to accelerate or climb hills if RPM's are <2500 or so.

Keep in mind that when you are going a true 55mph your speedometer is probably indicating 57-58mph, or at least mine is, so I wonder if HD means a real or indicated speed.
Very true. Most H-D speedometers read about 3 mph HIGHER than your true speed (a GPS will tell you for sure).

Old 07-17-2010 | 04:22 PM
TXCOMMISH
Outstanding HDF Member

65 or 70 before I shift up into 6th.

Old 07-17-2010 | 05:13 PM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BlockHead96
OK, gotta say this and gotta ask this, what type of helmets you guys wearing?? I ask because if your ears are covered, you have no way in hell of hearing that ping! Expose those ears and ride as you say you do and listen. If you have to, tilt an ear toward the motor when you roll on the go and don't be a ***** when you roll it on! Tell me what you hear! Ping!
Well I wear a half helmet, open ears. I use PREMIUM fuel every time I fill up. (Gotta admit, I didn't on my 88Cid 2000 Softail.) But on this one I do as HD asks,, LOL.
I have rolled onto the throttle on the highway EVEN when I felt I was "Lugging" the motor... and never heard pinging,,,, I am certainly NOT saying your bike doesn't do it... just never experienced it on mine yet.

Old 07-17-2010 | 05:33 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior

My 09 UC wants to be running at 65mph minimum before 6th gear is used.

Old 07-17-2010 | 05:39 PM
cezariomaia
Cruiser
Smile

Originally Posted by ***** G.
I shift into 6th anywhere from 55 to 70 mph and downshift to 5th at 55 mph. I believe 09' models have different gearing.
here in Brazil manual says 85 km/h. And yes, the '09 has a different gearing. 2 or 3 teeth more on the rear sprocket. But even with this gearing, I only go to 6th after 90 km/h

Old 07-17-2010 | 06:12 PM
babyray
Tourer

Originally Posted by ubreal
I was looking at my manual and it say’s that I should be in 6th gear at 55. I do not understand this, to me this seams to slow of speed to be in that gear but the Harley manual say’s to.
The when to shift thread again?

Quick Reply: Manual says should be in 6th gear at 55 is this right?