Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear tire sliding in rain

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 06:13 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by davewear
ahh! now i understand, you're upset cause we have better beer and hotter chics!

all good, ride safe.
C'mon Dave... better beer in Canada? Maybe... maybe lagers, if that's your idea of beer.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:14 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Another thing I think adds to the problem. The MoCo puts too light a oil in the forks on these Baggers. I'm sure they did it for a nice soft ride. I noticed the dive in the front right away and changed my fork oil to SE Heavy oil. It feels alot better now when braking for a stop. Much nicer ride too. I also changed my rear shock oil. Bike doesn't bounce as bad which translates to better traction. IMO

Old 04-15-2011, 08:18 PM
harleyiron80
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im always slow to go in a new rain because the roads will be greasy untill they get wash off

Old 04-15-2011, 08:33 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by Jude1986
I got my answer on this today. I took the bike to the dealer to pick up a replacement for a blown fuse and the rear tire went left again when I hit the brakes on the way there. I mentioned it to the service rep and it ends up it was slightly out of allignment (yes, from the factory). That plus wet roads and probably some oil, along with not giving enough rear brake was enough to make me scare the hell out of that driver in the cage in front of me. Thanks for all the help on this one.
you have a 2010. there is no alignment procedure for the tire. if you notice, you have 2 offsets on the axle that keep the rear axle equidistant on both the left and right side depending on how tight you want the belt.

now there is an alignment procedure for the eng/trans, but i don't know that this would cause the symptoms that you are having.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:49 PM
iwillfixthem4u
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTJr
How can this be blamed on the tires? (If that's what your insinuating...) You know, this is still rider error... you HAVE TO BE COGNIZANT of the conditions. If your downshifting, it's like applying the brake, SORRY,,, PERIOD it's just like it... so of course if it's slicker than snot,,(If they couldn't stand while picking the bike up, there was some crap on that road I am sure) you shouldn't down shift hard, if at all either.
You have to be in control, so obviously if your braking, you have better control knowing how much brake your applying. Where in down shifting, you don't know exactly what the result may be.
i agree on the not down shifting the first 3 gears are spaced far apart (wide) you don't notice it while up shifting do to all of the torque . but on the down shift the tire just locks up if going to fast. its like locking the brakes up

Old 04-15-2011, 08:52 PM
getty30188
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drop the Dulops and get Metzlers.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:01 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

have about 5k on dunlop american elite tires...rode most of the way to daytona in the rain. the bike handled like it was on rails-never had that good of a ride in the rain. they still look brand new...expecting lots of good things from these.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:23 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
you have a 2010. there is no alignment procedure for the tire. if you notice, you have 2 offsets on the axle that keep the rear axle equidistant on both the left and right side depending on how tight you want the belt.

now there is an alignment procedure for the eng/trans, but i don't know that this would cause the symptoms that you are having.
When adjusting the engine/trans the swingarm/rear wheel moves with it, so yes, this could influence the symptoms described.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:18 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i'm guessing that with your motorcycling experience that you already know that when the road is wet, slow down and anticipate stops because they'll take longer in order to avoid skidding and getting your bike sideways? this is especially true at the beginning of wet condtitions as there hasn't been enough rain to wash off the slickness of the road surface from the oil drippings of cars/trucks etc. your bike should already have the slick skin worn off of the tires. if not, then get out and ride it when the roads are dry. i'm glad you didn't dump your bike. just be much more careful when the road is wet.

Old 07-21-2022, 09:04 PM
Sethcat
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting reading through this thread. I have a 2012 Street glide and I've been riding for over 20 years on all kinds of bikes so plenty of time riding in all kinds of conditions, hard rain, everything. Only recently (last year or so) have I felt similar to what OP stated, but my issues are not during stopping. Mine are on sweeping turns such as highway on/off ramps. The first time I chalked it up to putting on too much throttle in the turn, but the next time, being weary of the last time, I took it super slow and easy and it felt like any thing would throw that rear tire out. At this point I'm not sure if it is in my head or not.

the only thing I could think is overinflated rear tire, but I never overinflate. I will let some PSI out and re-evaluate.

Quick Reply: Rear tire sliding in rain