Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear tire sliding in rain

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 10:38 AM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Metzler m880's

Old 07-18-2010, 10:40 AM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Metzlers M880's. I think is the best tire out their for stickiness, handling, ride and wear.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:48 AM
ahoxsey
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The one thing i noticed when i bought my SG was when you aplly the front brake the weight of the bike transfers to the front. This causes a slight lift in the back. It took me a while to adjust to riding in the rain. I use more back brake than front when its raining. I have an 08 SG with 55k on it. Its just a learning curve going to a heavier bike. Take some time and put some miles on it.I'm sure it will all go away!!

Old 07-18-2010, 12:27 PM
My Fix
Cruiser
Cool Slick !

Just drop the air pressures ! About 3 in the front , and about 5 in the back until the tires come in ! Then back to what the pressures r suppose to be ! Hopes this helps you .

Old 07-18-2010, 12:46 PM
Sath
Tourer

This happened to a friend of mine about 3 weeks ago except he went down. He was riding a softail with a Avon rear tire. He was not touching the rear brake when the bike came around he was down shifting. The road was so slick they could hardly stand while picking his bike up. Not saying that is what happend just something I really never thought of until it happened to him. He has been riding for 30 plus years and it was a first for him.

Last edited by Sath; 07-18-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:11 PM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Sath
This happened to a friend of mine about 3 weeks ago except he went down. He was riding a softail with a Avon rear tire. He was not touching the rear brake when the bike came around he was down shifting. The road was so slick they could hardly stand while picking his bike up. Not saying that is what happend just something I really never thought of until it happened to him. He has been riding for 30 plus years and it was a first for him.
How can this be blamed on the tires? (If that's what your insinuating...) You know, this is still rider error... you HAVE TO BE COGNIZANT of the conditions. If your downshifting, it's like applying the brake, SORRY,,, PERIOD it's just like it... so of course if it's slicker than snot,,(If they couldn't stand while picking the bike up, there was some crap on that road I am sure) you shouldn't down shift hard, if at all either.
You have to be in control, so obviously if your braking, you have better control knowing how much brake your applying. Where in down shifting, you don't know exactly what the result may be.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:12 PM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

[quote=Jude1986;7012137]
Just a reminder... The speed was about 10 to 13 MPH approaching the stop. It had rained hard about 30 mins earlier, and was still drizzling. The bike has about 180 miles on these tires. The tire did not lock up, it just swung around and tried to get ahead of me. I am new to this bike.

Its hard for me to believe that the tire DID NOT LOCK UP. IMHO the only way the rear end could try to swap ends with the front is if it locked up. Even momentarily would be enough to start this type of slide situation. It could then begin to rotate again but still gain momentum in a slide. No disrespect intended but how do you know it did not lock even for a split second? Only different thing to cause this situation that I can figure is you hit the fronts hard and the rear kept commin. Again hard to believe as the front most likely would have locked up due to wet conditions at that point and it should have washed out.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:43 PM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by DRiggins88
So you are the other street glide at work....
wow,, I was just reading some of this post over and finally noticed your comment! So you got the Denim Black one? LOL
Come see me in Avionics some time! I was wondering who had the "Other SG at work" LOL

Old 07-18-2010, 09:50 PM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member

Today I hit a bit of rain and was stopping for a red light with a car sitting at it and almost lost the bike twice. I started braking well in advance and the back tire started coming around on me. I let off the brake and gave it a little gas to pull me straight. Now I really needed to stop so I tried again, this time going light on the brakes. The rear tire came around about 1/3rd of the way to the point where I could actually see the rear of the bike as I fought to keep the front straight.
Jude, I really think you just need to get used to the bike, I am not DOUBTING you skidded,, but just really can't understand why. I think this bike is one of the most stable solid bikes I have ever owned. (Only my second HD, but I have had about two dozen others!) The road just had to have some oil on it,, it really did. Even in the rain I have not had any issues except for the one little one I mentioned above where the wife about squeezed me in half!

I do have one question, I really do not understand why you let off the brake and "gave it a little gas" when it did get squirmy, I mean if it was slick enough to skid while stopping, you didn't think it may do the same under acceleration? If you let off the brake, the tire still should have grabbed and gained traction again. Then you could have pumped the brake a little....
Just sayin,,,

Old 07-18-2010, 10:56 PM
frozensoul
Road Master

i think its just learning to brake the bigger bike. i like what my fix said also about the weight transfer from the back of the ride to the front. i use my front brake very carefull but i did notice the weight on my street glide does seem to go from rear to front very very fast without appling much brake at all which i think in some situations could lead to the back tire breaking loose.i think its just learning to use both front and rear the right way. heck a ultra weighs even more dont it?

Quick Reply: Rear tire sliding in rain