Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear tire sliding in rain

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 04:23 PM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by davewear
you said " Wider tires hydroplane easier than narrow tires " did you not? that's not correct. tire width is not the determining factor in evacuating water. having road raced for years i would prefer a 190 rain tire over a 150 slick, you?
Agreed, and that is what I was trying to get across. It's the tire design which helps. And I have not felt any problems at 60+ MPH on the highway in the rain with the stock tires. They're as stable as anyone could ask for IMHO....
Now are there better ones out there? Sure, Probably so. But the stock ones are quite adequate.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:03 PM
DRiggins88
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTJr
Well I have about 3,000 miles on my stock tires. Maybe 140 of those in the rain. Other than turning a corner at an INTERSECTION. I experienced a very slight slip with my wife on it,,(She about sqeezed me in half, didn't say a word) but it didn't do much other than maybe scoot out a couple inches on me. I rolled off the throttle and it bit again. She asked me about 5 miles later,, did you loose traction back there? I said, uh,, yea, a little.... she just hugged me a little and said,, "good save"! Man I have a great wife! I assume that in the middle of an intersection, FRESH rain, I had hit oil in the center,, still sure that's what it was. These tires MAY not be the best out there, I won't likely go back with them, (I also like Metzlers) But they are certainly fine,,, at least when new!
Braking in the rain, especially without the Abs,, (I love it!) you really have to be careful to balance. If you put too much on the front, the weight transfers forward, and the back will get light,, personally I use a little more rear in the rain than I would on dry pavement, you can control how much you give it easier.
I don't think it's the "lack of weight" over the tire.. really I think you just messed up. NO OFFENSE meant at all, but I have a few more miles than 20,000 total experience,LOL,, about 15 times that, and have only taken the Basic MSF course way back in 93 so I could ride onto the base I worked at. (Not the experienced one, I would LOVE to take that, and may this summer)
Not KNOCKING your experience ok? PLEASE don't take offense. But there is nothing inherently wrong with these bikes and the stock tires IMHO.....

So you are the other street glide at work....

Old 07-17-2010, 07:27 PM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wecroft
Guess you're saying JimTJr is wrong.
You have both sides of the argument in quotes. The tread is the determining factor when it comes to hydroplaning. Just ask any NASCAR driver. No tread, no run in the rain. The sissy guys in the open wheeled cars change to a treaded "rain tire" at the first drop of moisture.

you said " Wider tires hydroplane easier than narrow tires " did you not? that's not correct. tire width is not the determining factor in evacuating water. having road raced for years i would prefer a 190 rain tire over a 150 slick, you?

Hey Dave,
Maybe basic laws of physics work differently north of the border but in the rest of the world wider tires do hydroplane easier than narrow tires that have the same tread or no tread at all. It's simple, if you support the weight of an object (the motorcycle) over a larger surface area (wider tire), the downward force per square inch is reduced, thus traction is reduced.

Better yet, let me put you behind my boat on a pair of WIDE water skis. Then let's try it with NARROW snow skis. After being dragged a mile or two I'll bet the farm you'll change you mind

I don't give a **** if you raced with snow chains, you're getting shitty because I agree that having tread on wet road is better than having a stock MC tire with very little tread to remove water. WTF? Re-read the posts and figure out which way you want it.

Now, stop quoting two people at once.

Last edited by Wecroft; 07-17-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:12 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

weecroft, relax, i was responding to your comment that wide tires hydroplane easier than narrow ones. now that you've come on board and qualified that by acknowledging tread pattern makes the difference we can resume regular programming. be nice todave.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:13 PM
frozensoul
Road Master

no probs yet but i will say coming from a 04 fatboy to a 09 street glide which is much more weight i felt like i kinda had to re learn my driving habits far as braking the glide, much different feel. the fatty i could roll up up fairly fast and still stop at a light with no probs. the glide i need to start braking much sooner due to the weight i think. might need to just slow things down a bit sooner when braking.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:37 PM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by davewear
weecroft, relax, i was responding to your comment that wide tires hydroplane easier than narrow ones. now that you've come on board and qualified that by acknowledging tread pattern makes the difference we can resume regular programming. be nice todave.
I'm very relaxed, but my original statement is still true WIDE hydroplanes easier than NARROW. Less down force/square inch = easier to ride up on a sheet of water. Both width and tread design/depth are equally important factors. I haven't "come on board", I was there from the get go.
Now quit drinking that cheap Canadian crap and mix up a Capt Morgan & Coke.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:39 PM
eskimoSG09
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have about the same experience as the OP and I have the same ride (an 09 street glide, but with the same tires as the OP because of the cupping issue with the 407's on the front). The only difference is 90% of my experience is on the street glide, of which about 2500 miles have been in the rain. I have never had anything close to what he describes, but I would suggest the bike is fine as long as the tires have been broken in ( I would strongly suspect this is the issue).

Old 07-17-2010, 08:54 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Wecroft
I'm very relaxed, but my original statement is still true WIDE hydroplanes easier than NARROW. Less down force/square inch = easier to ride up on a sheet of water. Both width and tread design/depth are equally important factors. I haven't "come on board", I was there from the get go.
Now quit drinking that cheap Canadian crap and mix up a Capt Morgan & Coke.
ahh! now i understand, you're upset cause we have better beer and hotter chics!

all good, ride safe.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:34 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you should get your weed from somebody else so you don't get so paranoid ! It's a bigger new bike on wet crappy roads. I'd be Pi**ed if you were my kid bring'in me home some beer all frick'in shook to hell and foamy because you were F***'in around a little when it was wet out !

Old 07-18-2010, 10:27 AM
oscarg
Road Captain

The tires on my 09 ultra are lasting a lot longer than on my
07 But they twice in 25,000 it felt like they broke loose
In a corner in the rain That never happened to me before before and I have been riding for a few years. So my
Question is what are the stickiest tire they make for a 09
Ultra ??? The ones on there I sure are fine but I would
rather have less wear more sticky

Quick Reply: Rear tire sliding in rain