Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear tire sliding in rain

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 06:24 AM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by rideon
The 09 up touring bikes have that big wide tire on the back, to me i would think they would be horrible in the rain compared to the older skinnier tires. Anybody noticed a difference going from a 08 and older to the 09 and up in the rain?
I went from a 2000 Softail Standard to the '10 SG.. the ST is a lighter bike, ect... never had any issues with it either.

I also think the wider tire is better, It's designed to go in the rain. Separates the water ect...

OP, Were you anywhere near the center of the lane? Or were you in the "tire tracks" where the 4 wheelers run?
Maybe it was just a one time circumstance... just take it easy and learn the bike. (Maybe wish you had abs?) Grin, not a dig, some like it some not. I think it has saved my new bike (And me) one time in the short time I've owned it. So it's well worth the cost and learning curve...

Ride safe man!

Last edited by JimTJr; 07-17-2010 at 06:29 AM.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:36 AM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

Probably something on the road. The stock tire combination is pretty good on the new touring bikes. Besides, I don't think you have a lot of options on the rear tire yet.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:03 AM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Went from a 06 to 09....I really think its a combination of the wider tire and road position.....that you feel that little slip....

Old 07-17-2010, 08:20 AM
DaveMK
Road Master
Received 315 Likes on 142 Posts

When a weather system forms in the Gulf it picks up oil, then deposits it whenever it rains. JK.
I downshifted into first coming to a stop sign in the rain. Rear tire started sliding. Completely my fault. Although it does seem more slippery out there.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:31 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by SG 1
Tire not scrubbed in yet? Still has mold release on it? Never had that problem, but I'm pretty slow in the rain.
My brother came off his bike a while back in light rain, trying to get home before it set in. He was riding on brand new tyres! When getting new tyres fitted here in the UK we are advised to break them in for a couple of hundred miles before using them hard. OP's problem could be as simple as that, plus the junk left on the road in the braking area at junctions.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:31 AM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

[quote=JimTJr;7012703]I also think the wider tire is better, It's designed to go in the rain. Separates the water ect...

/quote]

Sorry but just the opposite occurs. Wider tires hydroplane easier than narrow tires. With the limited number of grooves found on MC tires it's a wonder some bikes can be kept upright on wet roads let alone stop.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:12 PM
rushbass
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably just hit an oily patch of road... it happends to the best of us - the first time I experienced my ABS was in the rain...

Stay safe out there in wet conditions, and remember to leave ample room ahead, and brake sooner / softer - I certainly know how it can be down here, with @ 40% of my riding ending up being in the rain, not by choice either - LOL!

Last edited by rushbass; 07-17-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:38 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

[QUOTE=Wecroft;7013102]
Originally Posted by JimTJr
I also think the wider tire is better, It's designed to go in the rain. Separates the water ect...

/quote]

Sorry but just the opposite occurs. Wider tires hydroplane easier than narrow tires. With the limited number of grooves found on MC tires it's a wonder some bikes can be kept upright on wet roads let alone stop.
actually you're wrong, look at motogp rain tires or F1 rain tires, similar width to the dry tire. it's the tread design that evacuates water, not the size of the tire.....

Old 07-17-2010, 01:27 PM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Guess you're saying JimTJr is wrong.
You have both sides of the argument in quotes. The tread is the determining factor when it comes to hydroplaning. Just ask any NASCAR driver. No tread, no run in the rain. The sissy guys in the open wheeled cars change to a treaded "rain tire" at the first drop of moisture.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:57 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Wecroft
Guess you're saying JimTJr is wrong.
You have both sides of the argument in quotes. The tread is the determining factor when it comes to hydroplaning. Just ask any NASCAR driver. No tread, no run in the rain. The sissy guys in the open wheeled cars change to a treaded "rain tire" at the first drop of moisture.
you said " Wider tires hydroplane easier than narrow tires " did you not? that's not correct. tire width is not the determining factor in evacuating water. having road raced for years i would prefer a 190 rain tire over a 150 slick, you?

Quick Reply: Rear tire sliding in rain