Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear tire sliding in rain

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 05:30 PM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It sounds like something is wrong. Could be a brand new tire, but after 100 miles it should have generated enough heat to get rid of the release agent.

I have ridden in the rain numerous times and have to brake pretty hard to get the abs to activate. I have no issues with how the tire handles in the rain.

I would look at the rider. If there was a mechanical problem, it would show up in both wet and dry conditions. Sounds like the rider needs to exchange his 20K miles of riding in on an experianced rider course from the MSF.

If it had just raining it could be the "gunk" on the road had not washed away yet.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:39 PM
coiledup
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can tell you that living in Mexifornia, they tell you the slickest time on the roads is where heavy traffic is right after the first rain. All the grease and oil from all those cages comes right up to the surface and viola slicker than snot. If yo didn't experience this in the country, that would be my guess. You probably just hit a greasy spot.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:41 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought my 2010 RK from a Dealer 150 miles from home. Had 24 miles on it. I rode home in the rain. Not one time did I feel it slip. Same Tires and probably close to the same weight Bike. Might want the Dealer look at those tires. I run 38 psi in the front and 40 psi in the rear.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:52 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,392 Likes on 5,512 Posts

You need more time in the seat. Sorry but rain and motorcycles are never a good mix.
I ride in the rain very often on Dunlops.
Every road is different and every road will change depending on air temp, how long ago was the last rain. New paint on rpad markiings, did some one spill some thing.
Theres is no defect man in your Dunlop tires

Old 07-16-2010, 05:53 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The Roads are the slipperiest, right after rain fall begins, and floats the oils and other pollutants to the surface.

I have a new Ultra, with 3500 miles on it. I have been caught in the rain a FEW times since having the bike, and have never experienced that. I'm thinkin you need to use more front brake, and less rear.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Jude1986
Intermediate

2WheelGlider- I have both the basic and experienced rider courses done. Try asking first. There is no need for attitude.

Everyone else, The pressures are dead on. The tires are new, with about 180 miles on them. My experience with the 20k comes from about 16k on my 06 Low Rider and the rest on a sportster beater. I have been very cautious with the new bike because I am still getting use to it. This would have never happened on the Low Rider at those speeds. I am amazed at how the bike slid out at such a slow speed. There is no doubt that if I had panicked I would have hit that car. I live in NYC, so I hit plenty of spots with oil and gunk. I know that the wet ground and oil was a factor here, but it doesnt account for the extreme slippage that I felt on the bike. Stopping at this light was also on a straightaway, and like I said before, very low speed. Could it be the lack of weight over the rear tire?

Old 07-16-2010, 06:05 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Does your other bikes have Brembo brakes?

Old 07-16-2010, 06:12 PM
TW
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

First thing I do with any bike I buy is take those Dunlops off and replace them with Metzelers.
Nice, soft and sticky, I'm confident with them, even in the rain.
Although they aren't real expensive, my piece of mind is priceless.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:21 PM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I came off of a Dyna to my Road King and there is a definite learning curve, including rain handling. These are whole different bikes. Your back brake pedal is much bigger and an easy target to lay hard on is what I found. Just mentally go back to school, place your foot on brake and use front brake, as your body shifts apply the rear brake. I am assuming you checked air pressure and all is fine there.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:22 PM
Jude1986
Intermediate

Teardrop- No Brembo brakes on the Dyna. i didnt brake hard, and I didnt lock up the rear. I was on more front brake than rear. The tire lost all traction and as the front stopped the back was looking for a place to go. That is why I was thinking about the lack of weight sitting over it from not having a tourpak.

TW-I would like to replace these tires, but at $98 per hour labor rate and all of my tools in storage it doesnt seem possible at the moment.

Should that sealent be burned off by now? I never came close to anything like this with new Dunlops on the dyna.

Quick Reply: Rear tire sliding in rain