Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not So "Detachable" Uprights

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010 | 09:42 AM
jsciullo
|
Cruiser
Default Not So "Detachable" Uprights

The dealer added the 4 point bracket and when I tried to get the upright on the right side goes in great but the left side is a bitch. I unbolted the left side rotory latch, turned the wave washer around and it loosened things up a bit but its still a major pain to get on and off. Anyone else have a problem with this and will it loosen up over time? Part Number is 52627-09.

Jim

Old 07-16-2010 | 10:31 AM
jasnusc
Road Master

Originally Posted by jsciullo
The dealer added the 4 point bracket and when I tried to get the upright on the right side goes in great but the left side is a bitch. I unbolted the left side rotory latch, turned the wave washer around and it loosened things up a bit but its still a major pain to get on and off. Anyone else have a problem with this and will it loosen up over time? Part Number is 52627-09.

Jim
Im not sure I understand the problem?

Is it hard to rotate just holding it in your hand or only when trying to dock it? The reason I ask is you said you flipped the washer which makes me believe its hard to rotate either way. If that is the case something is wrong with that part and you need to take it back.

If its only difficult to rotate when docking than flipping the washer wont make a difference.

Look under there and see what is hanging up. I modified mine to drop down lower by plug welding and re drilling the hole so I had to be careful to line everything up perfect when I drilled everything. When I went to install I had to file away some metal to make it smooth which you of course shouldnt have to do with a new part.

Another simple thing that causes problems is you dont have it on straight. Make sure nothing is cocked to either side and make sure your 4 point dock is installed the same on both sides and flush.

Some pics might help......

Old 07-16-2010 | 10:48 AM
SG 1
Road Warrior

Might try loosening the docking hardware then installing the upright then retighten the hardware while the upright is installed. Can you do that? Not that familiar with the system cause it is not the one I have, but I'm sure a very slight misalignment in that hardware could cause it to be tight.

Old 07-16-2010 | 11:03 AM
swoopjr
Tourer

I had one that was welded wrong from the factory. on one side the flat piece was welded at a angle and was almost imposible to get on and off.

Old 07-30-2010 | 07:58 AM
knife_edge
Tourer

At first it's going to be tight but in time it will loosen up as you continue to remove it and put back on. I remembered that I needed to add a spacer to the top shock bolt releaving it a little. I since removed the spacer and it's fine now.

Last edited by knife_edge; 07-30-2010 at 08:01 AM.